Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Monkey Fracas posted:

They really don't have jack poo poo for candidates this time, do they? It's amazing, really.

Not that last time was much better.

Trees, at the perfect height...

And like last time, whoever makes it to the general will still be guaranteed at least 47% of the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So, it seems that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Samantha Elauf, the Muslim woman who sued Abercrombie & Fitch for denial of a job because of her hijab. 8-1 decision; guess who the dissenter was! :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

resurgam40 posted:

So, it seems that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Samantha Elauf, the Muslim woman who sued Abercrombie & Fitch for denial of a job because of her hijab. 8-1 decision; guess who the dissenter was! :allears:

Goddamn Thomas, not even Scalia was dickish enough to vote against.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FOXDIE posted:

Holy christ.

So for people who haven't been paying attention to the Kentucky governor race this year (probably 90% of people), Matt Bevin just won the GOP primary. This is a big deal, because he ran against McConnell last year in the senate primaries, and they both talked mountains of crap about each other, and Bevin never bothered endorsing Mitch even after he conceded defeat.

But now that Bevin is the gubernatorial candidate facing Jack Conway, he's been trying to do damage control/re-write history, and say that he was in fact a huge supporter of McConnell all along.

And to make his point, he showed this incredible video at a Republican rally just a couple days ago: https://vimeo.com/129301130

So while the timing is a little off this is still probably the funniest thing I've ever seen from a Republican. Pro-click???

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't know how he does it, let alone why, but Walker is seriously one of the least photogenic candidates I've seen in a long time. Can't think of a single photo where his facial expression doesn't imply, "oh dear I think I just poo poo myself."

He speaks to the poo poo heels that blame everything on government ineptitude by being a government ineptitude elemental.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Brannock posted:

I don't see how Walker survives any attacks on his economic record, even everything else he's done notwithstanding. He campaigned on 250,000 jobs for Wisconsin and instead Wisconsin is among the worst states for far too many economic metrics. They're dead last in the Midwest for job creation come on.
His heart and his best intentions tell him Wisconsin's economy is doing quite well.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't know how he does it, let alone why, but Walker is seriously one of the least photogenic candidates I've seen in a long time. Can't think of a single photo where his facial expression doesn't imply, "oh dear I think I just poo poo myself."

I think you mean "Duh-oh! I think I maked poopie?!"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

T. Bombastus posted:

His heart and his best intentions tell him Wisconsin's economy is doing quite well.

The unions, minorities, and public works are hurting; his constituency, both of them, are super happy.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So why the gently caress would a company like A&F take a case like that all the way to SCOTUS anyways? Did the plaintiffs refuse to settle and kept appealing?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Goddamn Thomas, not even Scalia was dickish enough to vote against.

Shocking given Thomas' well-documented history of promoting good workplace conditions for women.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

So why the gently caress would a company like A&F take a case like that all the way to SCOTUS anyways? Did the plaintiffs refuse to settle and kept appealing?

A&F built its brand by becoming the whitest bread a upper-middle class douche has to offer. gently caress their owner even said poor people shouldn't wear AF because their filth stains the brand. Or was that American Eagle?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

Winning the elections he's won and spinning that to a people's referendum for a more conservative, slimmer government is a message that shouldn't be scoffed at.

But I agree with the overall sentiment that he'll be one of the peaks in the GOP primary, but not the peak at the end when it matters.

Walker pissed of his sugar daddies after deciding to come out against amensty though. Those sugar daddies can sink his campaign out of spite.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Crowsbeak posted:

Walker pissed of his sugar daddies after deciding to come out against amensty though. Those sugar daddies can sink his campaign out of spite.

Who? The Koch brothers?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Job Truniht posted:

Who? The Koch brothers?

Yeah the guys love themselves cheap foreign workers.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Wouldn't amnesty give them actual legal protection which would make their labor cost more?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Walker is still going to be their guy in the primaries. Nobody would advance their agenda any further. It's still hilarious that money is getting thrown against Jeb as we speak.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Shocking given Thomas' well-documented history of promoting good workplace conditions for women.

Hey man 99 times outta 100 its Scalia making the idiotic ruling on slamdunk cases.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

A&F built its brand by becoming the whitest bread a upper-middle class douche has to offer. gently caress their owner even said poor people shouldn't wear AF because their filth stains the brand. Or was that American Eagle?

Sample quotes from a 2006 article:

"It's almost everything. That's why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that."

"Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong."

The quote you're thinking of seems to be attributed to an 'anonymous brand manager': "Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't want to create the image that just anybody, poor people, can wear their clothing. Only people of a certain stature are able to purchase and wear the company name."

Their CEO walked it back in 2013, but yeah, death by guillotine.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And like last time, whoever makes it to the general will still be guaranteed at least 47% of the vote.

Which is what, 30% of VEP?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Also, AF and Hollister are usually the stores I hold my breath while I rush past them since they pump a poo poo load of lovely cologne through their ventilation systems to make them smell like douche bag petting zoos.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Munkeymon posted:

Wouldn't amnesty give them actual legal protection which would make their labor cost more?

They're more exited about more visas. I am to the right of the forum when it comes to amnesty, but its a preety small issue to me. Especially since I recognize you actually have to punish people who hire illegals. Which I recognize isn't happening, so I side with liberals because at least you guys are rational.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tempest_56 posted:

Sample quotes from a 2006 article:

"It's almost everything. That's why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that."

"Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong."

The quote you're thinking of seems to be attributed to an 'anonymous brand manager': "Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't want to create the image that just anybody, poor people, can wear their clothing. Only people of a certain stature are able to purchase and wear the company name."

Their CEO walked it back in 2013, but yeah, death by guillotine.

You'll get that out of just about any fashion brand, not particularly damning really. The fashion world will never be "of the people" in any way shape or form, unless they start using starving Africans as models.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sir Tonk posted:

You'll get that out of just about any fashion brand, not particularly damning really. The fashion world will never be "of the people" in any way shape or form, unless they start using starving Africans as models.

At best, that would open a can of worms about body image in the fashio industry.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

A Winner is Jew posted:

Also, AF and Hollister are usually the stores I hold my breath while I rush past them since they pump a poo poo load of lovely cologne through their ventilation systems to make them smell like douche bag petting zoos.

Hey now, the GOP primaries will smell a helluva lot better than AF and Hollister stores.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Sir Tonk posted:

I give you.... Derelicte!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Graham is at least nice to listen to. :swoon:
Will be interesting to see if someone comes out of the woodwork now that he's running for president. Gonna be a whole lot harder to stay in the closet when you're in the national spotlight like that.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

comes along bort posted:

Not for the past few years. Asians are the largest immigrant source now.

Really could I get a source on that? Not doubting you really, but I would find that interesting.

borkencode posted:

It's not just protestants now. A woman on facebook was rambling on about how she's Catholic, and even though she doesn't agree with every teaching of the church she's not a "christian".

True it seems like its alot of Christian faiths, just protestants are an easy label to throw out. Its more whatever flavour of the month evangelical group are... I grew up in a place where one of those megachurches exist http://www.christianfaithcenter.org/ and this is in Washington State. Pretty much everyone who expressed that opinion went there and kept trying to get other people to join.

Amergin posted:

Korean Christians are a special kind of crazy, though.

Yup... I remember a kid one whose family wouldn't let him go to mariners games because they were running "sodo mojo" ad's and those implied the use of magic which is tainted by Satan.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

[*]The IMF came out with a pair of interesting reports recently, including one which suggests that Wall Street costs the US 2% of GDP growth each year

This was a really good article buried in the OP, pointed out by SnakePlissken on the first page of the thread.

quote:

“Wall Street is back,” says the New York Times, and the economic cost is high. The excessive financialization of the U.S. economy reduces GDP growth by 2% every year, according to a new study by International Monetary Fund. That’s a massive drag on the economy–some $320 billion per year. Wall Street has thus become, not just a moral problem with rampant illegality and outlandish compensation of executives and traders: Wall Street is a macro-economic problem of the first order.

Problems occur when the financial sector gets too big. When the financial sector loses interest in the “boring” returns from financing the real economy and instead devotes its efforts to activities that are more lucrative in the short-term, like playing zero-sum games, or even negative-sum games, through complex transactions aimed at making money out of money, then excessive risk-taking occurs, with mis-allocation of human and financial resources and periodic financial crashes.

Not an article I would expect to find in Forbes.

On a different issue, this article in Mother Jones is about Brownback and the Kansas GOP controlled legislature attacking the Kansas Court system. The Kansas Supreme Court ruled that school funding was not equitable and a lower court found the entire system inadequate, ordering the State to correct it. Instead of correcting the system, which would require raising taxes, Brownback and the GOP have decided to destroy the Courts. It's a small version of what many GOP members of Congress are saying needs to be done at the Federal level. The most chicken poo poo plan is to:

quote:

expand the grounds for impeachment of a Supreme Court justice to include such ambiguous misdeeds as "attempting to subvert fundamental laws and introduce arbitrary power," "attempting to usurp the power of the legislative or executive branch of government," and "failure to adequately supervise subordinate employees."

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 2, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “I coughed a lot. It’s not my thing, but it is the thing for a whole lot of people.” ~ Bernie Sanders, on :420: :2bong: :420:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “I coughed a lot. It’s not my thing, but it is the thing for a whole lot of people.” ~ Bernie Sanders, on :420: :2bong: :420:

4/20 in front of Bailey Howe, bro.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wanna vape with Bernie and convince him to run with Henry Rollins

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

richardfun posted:

The man really is beyond parody. There's no way to make fun of him, other than to quote him verbatim, perhaps while affecting an accent.

What is Trump's accent by the way? Or is he the only person in the world who speaks like that?

"New Yook Dirt Bag"
And no, a lot of New York dirt bags talk like that.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

McDowell posted:

Pretty sure Henry wouldn't be cool with the vaping though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Can someone please stop letting Ted Cruz do "impressions"?

https://vine.co/v/MMVTYBhqVOd

https://vine.co/v/ehguIaEXpu2

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

Aren't most immigrants to the USA Catholics though (Mexico), then again Trump like alot of protestants probably believe Catholics aren't christian... :psyboom:

His Highness Prince Donald I of Orange, Protestant Defender

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Joementum posted:

Edit: I was going to link to Leslie Knope doing her JFK impersonation but YouTube blocked it :(

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

McDowell posted:

Sorry, but like he said, he tried it once and decided it wasn't for him. :jerkbag:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

https://vine.co/v/MMVTYBhqVOd

First one sounds like a bad lip reading character (e:found it!), second sounds like a lovely fdr

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 2, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sir Tonk posted:

"My clothes are not for black people" --Tommy Hilfiger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Does Matt Bevin actually have 5 kids, 3 cats, and a dog? That's a lot of loving mammals to pack into a house.

radical meme posted:

On a different issue, this article in Mother Jones is about Brownback and the Kansas GOP controlled legislature attacking the Kansas Court system. The Kansas Supreme Court ruled that school funding was not equitable and a lower court found the entire system inadequate, ordering the State to correct it. Instead of correcting the system, which would require raising taxes, Brownback and the GOP have decided to destroy the Courts. It's a small version of what many GOP members of Congress are saying needs to be done at the Federal level. The most chicken poo poo plan is to:

It been getting tougher and tougher to explain why I'm not moving to Kansas to everyone in a non-insulting to the vast swaths of Republicans way when I go visit family. I can only site Florida's lovely beaches so many times before people become suspicious of my hyper Irish pallor.

• Locked thread