Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Queen Fiona posted:

The later games end up moving away from the darkspawn plot and into actually interesting territory overall, capitalizing on smaller hints from the DA plot. I mean, your mileage may vary on that (and the quality of the follow-ups in question), and it's still all Fantasy Europe poo poo, but they've certainly tried to mix things up a bit over time.

I don't think Dragon Age Origins was ever intended to be particularly original, mind. (gently caress, Thedas was a placeholder name in the forums, for The Dragon Age Setting, that inexplicably stuck.) It still ends up being a rather well-done execution overall, and the game is notable for including one of the few instances of capital-d Dwarves as a thing I actually enjoy in some manner, Oghren aside. It's not necessarily the most original thing, but it did what it did well enough and it feels a bit like hating the fish for swimming, y'know?

I read the F&F of X-Crawl way back when. It's...weird. It's got some pretty good concepts to it, but it sabotages itself in very White Wolf-y ways, and being a d20 system manages to ruin all the mechanics it has that might be interesting through, well, using d20 resolution systems. It's another textbook case of not examining whether your concepts fit your mechanics. (Reminds me a bit of someone trying to make a DXHR-like social combat system - in and of itself a really awesome concept someone should do - who was really insistent it had to be Pathfinder for some reason. Unsurprisingly, this comes up with d20-based systems a lot! she says, shamefully hiding her copy of d20 Modern under the bed)

My knowledge of Blue Rose is essentially zero, so I'm not really getting the deer references myself. Doesn't really seem like my thing, though.

personally if I were going to run X-Crawl I'd probably run it with Dungeon Crawl Classics(especially as there's a lot of supplementary material to help expand it to fit), and go with a setting that keeps the basic premise(Dungeon Crawling as a Reality Show/Competitive Sport) but go in a different direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What's actually fun is to watch how non-wizards increasingly got more abilities in the actual Dragon Age crpgs then you look at AGE and welllllll

I mean poo poo even in Dragon Age: Origins warriors got a few abilities. What about the wizard cross-powers that were probably DA:O's biggest mechanical "cool thing?"

AGE just feels like someone had their generic heartbreaker sitting around and someone yelled out "HEY WE GOT A LICENSE!" and they just stapled it on. It's so hilariously unfitting for the license. Even more hilariously, the engine that would fit Dragon Age, especially the later games? 4e.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Makes me wonder whatever happened to the Song of Ice and Fire RPG, especially since Green Ronin gave a name for its system and everything. (I forget what it was.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only good thing to come out of Dragon Age was Origins and that's it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hi I want to run dnd 3.5 but I don't want to run dnd 3.5 what is a good fantasy system these days

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

13th Age is pretty drat 3.5ish but lacks the vast majority of 3.5 bullshit.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

My Lovely Horse posted:

13th Age is pretty drat 3.5ish but lacks the vast majority of 3.5 bullshit.

Interesting. Tell me more~

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Sion posted:

The 13th Age thread OP has some details and sweet links. And if you like podcasts, you'll love the poo poo out of Let's Play 13th Age.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TurninTrix posted:

Makes me wonder whatever happened to the Song of Ice and Fire RPG, especially since Green Ronin gave a name for its system and everything. (I forget what it was.)

After the last round of White Wolf layoffs, they hired I think Chuck Wendig to be in charge of the line, in the middle of their error-ridden "the TV show just started" edition rollout. (It really couldn't have been ?Wendig's? fault, but he sure got to catch poo poo for it.) With all the other poo poo he's doing, including writing for Star Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved on.Joseph Carriker. Maybe the Night's Watch book came out not that long ago?a couple years ago. It's been pretty fallow, I think.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 27, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sion posted:

In addition to the 13th Age thread:

Everything is immediately familiar. You've got your elves and dwarves, your fighters and wizards, your six ability scores. Everything is incredibly streamlined, though, without ending up too focused on mechanics. For example, instead of a list of narrowly defined skills that you fill up little by little, you just write down 2-3 things that define your character, and those come into play whenever it seems appropriate. Instead of tracking distances and ranges on a grid map, you just note if an enemy is far away, nearby or right in your face.

Every class is useful in its own right; there's still a range of complexity that goes roughly from simple fighters to complex mages, but playing a fighter isn't just "I attack" turn after turn and wizards don't have a huge range of encounter circumvention spells. There are few hugely complex rules interactions so you can easily houserule stuff without worrying about unforeseen effects down the line a whole lot. In fact, the way the game is written already encourages working together with the whole player group to come up with cool stories over character optimization and antagonism between players and DM.

There's also a pretty cool mechanic where you're invested with the movers and shakers of the setting from day one and it has tangible effects.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

To bring this back for a second to DA chat, I pretty much agree with Queen Fiona's opinion.

Yes, the Tolkenian trifecta of humans, elves and dwarves has been done to death, undeath and beyond, but at least DA does something with it. I remember getting pretty invested in the politics of the dwarven caste wars and the elven situation; it was a fresh take on something that does not usually come up in fantasy settings.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm not sure of this is the right place, but I've been working on a Fallout game set in London. I've got a ruleset and some setting ideas, but I was wondering if anyone could give some ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sion posted:

Hi I want to run dnd 3.5 but I don't want to run dnd 3.5 what is a good fantasy system these days

well if you want something derived from 3.5's rules, then I'd recommend Fantasycraft as it's a very solid system(indeed I'd say it's the best fantasy oriented D20 variant around)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you want to run 3.5 but not you want to run 13th Age, that is literally its whole reason for existing and it does that whole "3.5 D&D with marginally more acceptable rules" thing better than Fantasycraft or whatever does.

If you want to run a 4e-a-like you should play Strike.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Fantasy Craft is there for those that want 3e with much better design. 13th Age is more of a blending of 3e and 4e with indie sensibilities.

Both have their place depending on your tastes.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

There are also Radiance and Heroes Against Darkness which I have not played, but are supposed to be blends of 3.5 and 4e as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fantasy Craft is there for those that want 3e with much better design. 13th Age is more of a blending of 3e and 4e with indie sensibilities.

Both have their place depending on your tastes.

yeah the only real weaknesses I'd say Fantasy Craft has is; 1) it's organization is kinda bad(not the worst I've ever seen, but can be annoying and confusing with a book as huge as it is), 2) has an incredibly lacking monster section(at least in terms of premade stuff, although they give you a lot of info about making monsters and NPCs, and there's a widget online for making creatures and NPCs), and 3) ironically enough for a 3rd edition derivative it has a somewhat lacking selection of spells and other magic stuff going by just the core rules(there's a supplement that's going to expand magic stuff, but it's been in development hell for at least 3 years by this point due to Crafty Games making some really boneheaded decisions regarding taking up a license for a book series and doing an RPG for it[and making a whole new system for it instead of just making a setting book for Fantasy Craft which would have saved them a ton of time and effort], with that causing the Spellbound supplement to be unfinished for ages, and we'll be lucky if it comes out this year or even next year at this rate)

overall it's one of my favorite systems, only reason I've never run it is due to it being the sort of thing a more experienced DM would run, and I've never successfully managed to run a game in any system(between 2008 and 2013 I tried setting up a game almost 20 times under at least 5-6 different systems, and none of them made it past character creation, gave up trying in late 2013 after I moved to a different county from my primary group of friends, and despite having lived in my current location for almost two years now, haven't made any friends here, let alone anyone I'd play an RPG with)

Lightning Lord posted:

There are also Radiance and Heroes Against Darkness which I have not played, but are supposed to be blends of 3.5 and 4e as well.

both of those appear to be pretty drat dead in the water in terms of support(Radiance's publisher barely exists and seems to only really support Pathfinder these days, while HAD's creator seems to be focusing exclusively on his RPG meant for kids), kinda feel that invalidates them as good choices(doesn't help that neither of them really have much if anything in the way of fan support either)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's also Legend RPG and the Trailblazer supplement for 3.5

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

both of those appear to be pretty drat dead in the water in terms of support(Radiance's publisher barely exists and seems to only really support Pathfinder these days, while HAD's creator seems to be focusing exclusively on his RPG meant for kids), kinda feel that invalidates them as good choices(doesn't help that neither of them really have much if anything in the way of fan support either)

Just bringing up their existence. Maybe someone will dig them. Not to mention that they're both complete games, you don't really need a whole game line to just play something. Plus, they're free, so what risk is there?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

yeah the only real weaknesses I'd say Fantasy Craft has is; 1) it's organization is kinda bad(not the worst I've ever seen, but can be annoying and confusing with a book as huge as it is), 2) has an incredibly lacking monster section(at least in terms of premade stuff, although they give you a lot of info about making monsters and NPCs, and there's a widget online for making creatures and NPCs), and 3) ironically enough for a 3rd edition derivative it has a somewhat lacking selection of spells and other magic stuff going by just the core rules

I think the monster and spell selection is fine, given that it has a whole monster design system for GMs to use, and honestly I'm happy with the spell selection not being too robust. It's only a system that two classes really require (sages and prestige classes aside), so not having it take up a third of the book like certain other 3.5 derivatives is a decision I'm quite happy with.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's also Legend RPG and the Trailblazer supplement for 3.5

if I recall properly Legend has almost no monsters statted for it, and never included a monster creation system or released a monster manual style supplement either so it's also kinda useless(especially as it isn't compatible with any other RPG), and I've heard Trailblazer has some major issues(can't remember what exactly) and isn't really a proper RPG it's merely a very ambitious supplement

Lightning Lord posted:

Just bringing up their existence. Maybe someone will dig them. Not to mention that they're both complete games, you don't really need a whole game line to just play something. Plus, they're free, so what risk is there?

complete but incredibly limited in what you can do with them after a point, since I'm fairly sure neither of them include monster creation rules(although I'll admit it's been ages since I read HAD or Radiance), without those included any D&D style system that's not a Retroclone(as monsters are dead simple to create for those, not to mention a huge backlog of compatible sourcebooks for that sort of thing) is fatally flawed in my opinion

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think the monster and spell selection is fine, given that it has a whole monster design system for GMs to use, and honestly I'm happy with the spell selection not being too robust. It's only a system that two classes really require (sages and prestige classes aside), so not having it take up a third of the book like certain other 3.5 derivatives is a decision I'm quite happy with.

oh I agree that FC not being Magic dominated like most other D&D derivatives is nice(indeed from what I've read Pure Casters in FC are actually a rather sub-optimal choice at the moment, although Spellbound is supposed to help with that), but it does kinda limit things for those who like that sort of thing and want to run and/or play in Fantasy Craft

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

complete but incredibly limited in what you can do with them after a point, since I'm fairly sure neither of them include monster creation rules(although I'll admit it's been ages since I read HAD or Radiance), without those included any D&D style system that's not a Retroclone(as monsters are dead simple to create for those, not to mention a huge backlog of compatible sourcebooks for that sort of thing) is fatally flawed in my opinion

HAD at least has monster creation rules, there's a chapter called Building a Monster.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

HAD at least has monster creation rules, there's a chapter called Building a Monster.

well that's good to know(as I said it's been years since I last read HAD), can anyone confirm that for Radiance?(cause if Radiance has Monster Creation rules than I might have to look into that system again, HAD has definitely made it onto the list as well)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

if I recall properly Legend has almost no monsters statted for it, and never included a monster creation system or released a monster manual style supplement either so it's also kinda useless(especially as it isn't compatible with any other RPG), and I've heard Trailblazer has some major issues(can't remember what exactly) and isn't really a proper RPG it's merely a very ambitious supplement

You're correct that there's no MM for Legend, but they do have a section for encounter and monster creation, although monster creation is still 3.5E-style "they're built the same as PCs", so it's still more work than, say, 4e.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

ProfessorCirno posted:

What's actually fun is to watch how non-wizards increasingly got more abilities in the actual Dragon Age crpgs then you look at AGE and welllllll

I mean poo poo even in Dragon Age: Origins warriors got a few abilities. What about the wizard cross-powers that were probably DA:O's biggest mechanical "cool thing?"

AGE just feels like someone had their generic heartbreaker sitting around and someone yelled out "HEY WE GOT A LICENSE!" and they just stapled it on. It's so hilariously unfitting for the license. Even more hilariously, the engine that would fit Dragon Age, especially the later games? 4e.

Nah, Dragon Age: Origins is the most D&D 3.5 CRPG ever because fighters and rogues have dozens of options to use and most of the time you're better off just taking an auto-attack. (Especially if you want to dual wield. Using any of the dual wield powers -actually reduces your damage over just auto-attacking for the same time period.)

...And even then you're outdone in survivability and potentially damage by a wizard with the right specialties and a lot of buffs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I didn't play Dragon Age, but I heard the RPG was a great love letter to D&D that actually got 3e-era design right. Having flipped through it, yeah, it seemed stuffed with caster supremacy and pretty boring to play a fighter or rogue type.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Incredibly missed opportunity for not drawing Immortan Jon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incredibly missed opportunity for not drawing Immortan Jon.

Would you say it's :mediocre:?

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Nah, Dragon Age: Origins is the most D&D 3.5 CRPG ever because fighters and rogues have dozens of options to use and most of the time you're better off just taking an auto-attack. (Especially if you want to dual wield. Using any of the dual wield powers -actually reduces your damage over just auto-attacking for the same time period.)

...And even then you're outdone in survivability and potentially damage by a wizard with the right specialties and a lot of buffs.

Strictly speaking, I think this is more Bioware's incompetence in this regard than some kind of Monte Cook-style System Mastery thing. (As I recall, Caster Supremacy was much less of a thing in Neverwinter Nights than the table, for a variety of reasons - a fair bit of them deliberate changes. Of course, then server admins don't realize this and think they have to nerf magic items and gish builds...)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I will always remember the RPGPundit for coining the term "venisonocracy."

By the way, as long as I have it open, here's John Kim's old retort to Pundit's protestrations from back when Blue Rose was originally released.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man, John Kim's page. I remember back in Ye Olden Tymes when his Free RPG Page was pretty much the definitive list.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I just got to his Recommended Reading regarding Blue Rose and I think I am going to give some of them a try.
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/bluerose/rf.htm

Anyone got any recommendations on what should I prioritize?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tulpa posted:

Blue Rose's magic deer government actually kind of resembles The Twelve Kingdoms

Twelve Kingdoms had an interesting setting that could make for a good ttrpg actually... a kingdom without a king or queen has to struggle to not be overrun by monsters and even just after a kingdom finally gets a king or queen some work needs to be done to un-shithole the kingdom and clean corruption out of the political structure

paradoxGentleman posted:

I just got to his Recommended Reading regarding Blue Rose and I think I am going to give some of them a try.
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/bluerose/rf.htm

Anyone got any recommendations on what should I prioritize?

Depends on what you want to read, that Mercedes Lackey's stuff is pretty much Blue Rose: the book series, with an adult target audience. keep in mind that those Robin McKinley and Tamora Pierce books are written for tween and teen girls, so you might find the prose/plots more immature

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 29, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

By the way, as long as I have it open, here's John Kim's old retort to Pundit's protestrations from back when Blue Rose was originally released.

Okay, this actually sounds like something I could dig into. x:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
The "Magic Deer" thing seems similar to the thing about how you can't play a D&D paladin in REIGN unless it's a female paladin; a distorted rumour that was hotly debated among a circle of people much broader than the number of people who actually read/played the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey guys, what was that Japanese game show where everyone was playing card and board games against each other in a mansion? I remember it being really big around here when it was on YouTube.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Genius: Rules of the Game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Halloween Jack posted:

The "Magic Deer" thing seems similar to the thing about how you can't play a D&D paladin in REIGN unless it's a female paladin; a distorted rumour that was hotly debated among a circle of people much broader than the number of people who actually read/played the game.

Oh god that loving thread.

...The best part was that everyone was so focused on the "men ride side-saddle" paragraph they missed like all the other weird things about the setting like "No one executes people directly, they just put them in cages to starve to death because direct murder leads to angry ghosts"

Also "By the way almost everyone's black, the only white cultures are the cannibal barbarian werewolves and the sea-going nomadic pirates with a fighting style based on weaponized longshoreman's hooks." But then, they only ever -read- that paragraph, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Also "By the way almost everyone's black, the only white cultures are the cannibal barbarian werewolves and the sea-going nomadic pirates with a fighting style based on weaponized longshoreman's hooks." But then, they only ever -read- that paragraph, so...

In fairness, it sounds like the white guys got some pretty cool hooks to work with there. No pun intended.

• Locked thread