Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Genius: Rules of the Game.

That show was great. When I said to people who know me "oh, I've been watching a good reality show lately," they looked at me like "Who are you and what did you do with Jim?" When I explained it was Korean and about games and starring a professional Starcraft player, they realised that I was still my old hopelessly nerdy self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, it sounds like the white guys got some pretty cool hooks to work with there. No pun intended.

I don't think it was ever meant to be some sort of in-your-face HEY CHECK IT OUT IT'S LIKE IF RACISM WAS REVERSED thing, Stolze makes a point of noting that there's no real history of ethnicity-based slavery or genocide going on in the setting, simply that every culture views themselves as the apex of civilization and every other culture as filthy barbarian savages.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think it was ever meant to be some sort of in-your-face HEY CHECK IT OUT IT'S LIKE IF RACISM WAS REVERSED thing, Stolze makes a point of noting that there's no real history of ethnicity-based slavery or genocide going on in the setting, simply that every culture views themselves as the apex of civilization and every other culture as filthy barbarian savages.

Oh, yeah, I was more just saying a culture that reminds me of Longshoreman X is instantly interesting to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

Oh, yeah, I was more just saying a culture that reminds me of Longshoreman X is instantly interesting to me.

The Ob-Lobs (said seafarers) get a pretty extensive writeup in one of the supplements that Stolze effectively crowdfunded before Kickstarter using the "ransom" model. He goes into a lot of detail on their language which is written in spirals and where the importance of a concept is reflected in how many syllables it gets as a word, which means that the name "Ob-Lobs" which everyone refers to them by since their peoples' actual name is like a dozen syllables long is pretty much an insult by their standards (two syllables, c'mon, you give at least five to someone you don't really know that well) but they tolerate it because hey, these guys are all dumb assholes anyway and at least their money spends good. They have a couple of fighting styles to call their own, one using cargo-loading hooks (or weaponized versions thereof) and one that's basically like a shipboard form of capoeira.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Night10194 posted:

Now I'm going to have to watch that again. Damnit. This is what I get for spending way too much time on LP a few years back - a huge repository of references no one will get.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, it sounds like the white guys got some pretty cool hooks to work with there. No pun intended.

As a cannibal barbarian werewolf I agree.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Anyone ever get burnt out about discussing RPGs instead of playing them but they just can't get a group together? I feel like I'm at that point right now.

Kai Tave posted:

I will always remember the RPGPundit for coining the term "venisonocracy."

I feel like cervidocracy would be better. The choice of leadership is made by a living deer after all, not a stew.

Kai Tave posted:

Thank god for that because Farnham's Freehold poo poo is just the worst.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Anyone ever get burnt out about discussing RPGs instead of playing them but they just can't get a group together? I feel like I'm at that point right now.

I PbP a lot largely because my work schedule prevents me from committing to a regular weekly game meetup. It's been a couple-few years since my last tabletop RPG group and I'm interested in finding the time to do so again, but like you said there's getting a group together and I was lucky since the last one was sort of an outgrowth of me moving to a larger city and also knowing some of the people there beforehand, having to cultivate a new group again from scratch is one of those things that kind of makes me a little tired just thinking about it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've been PbPing a bit, which isn't usually my thing, but every group I know IRL is currently playing D&D. That used to be my thing, but a combination of stuffs seems to have brought out the dull side of these groups and I just can't get excited about slogging through endless same-ish combats to retrieve forgettable macguffins for forgotten realms NPCs I don't care about.

On the upside, my recent experience showed me that Dungeon World and Apocalypse World (and I'm guessing PbtA stuff in general) play a lot smoother in PbP than D&D or oWoD which are the only things I've tried online before, so I might start getting involved in more online RPGing which would be nice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh god that loving thread.

...The best part was that everyone was so focused on the "men ride side-saddle" paragraph they missed like all the other weird things about the setting like "No one executes people directly, they just put them in cages to starve to death because direct murder leads to angry ghosts"

Also "By the way almost everyone's black, the only white cultures are the cannibal barbarian werewolves and the sea-going nomadic pirates with a fighting style based on weaponized longshoreman's hooks." But then, they only ever -read- that paragraph, so...
Most of them aren't even aware that the world of REIGN is one where the continents are shaped like two giants lying in the ocean, gravity works like a blanket, the sun literally rises and sets...that REIGN is based on ancient understandings of how the world works, not on modern physics and geology and poo poo.

Night10194 posted:

The Obotilobitanolonikututano also have not-savate. The apex move is basically the bicycle kick from Mortal Kombat. Being traders without a nation of their own, they're also the only culture that really understands numismatics to the point where they can profit by shifting currency back and forth and predicting how their trading partners will behave based on Gresham's law.

The Truils are like semi-nomadic Native Americans, except white, and also like Picts kind of. Their story hasn't played out like the Indian Wars for a couple reasons, to make a long story short. One is that their lands aren't called the Truil Wastes for nothing, so none of their neighbours can get a political mandate to spend vast resources to thoroughly conquer them. Two, the Truils are real loving scary.

REIGN is cool.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
The ob-lobs and truils are also just thinly veiled reimaginings of goblins and trolls. Part of the purpose of the default REIGN setting was to do a fantasy setting where there explicitly aren't different races, just different cultures and to repudiate the semi-racist underpinnings of fantasy races in the first place.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's worth noting that the only Reign sourcebook thing that came close to not crowdsourcing itself was the one that -did- have all the standard fantasy races and no humans.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lightning Lord posted:

I feel like cervidocracy would be better.

If i'd have just read this bit I would have assumed it was a Pundit bash on women and SJWs.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Is there anything interesting to Dindavara other than being black notjapan?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

I'd rather blow my brains off with a shotgun than spend more time writing enormous paragraphs and reading Kotaku and Polygon articles about videogames than playing them and hell if I'd waste my time doing something for a hobby I care even less.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Dindarva's not really 'not Japan' unless you zero in on how they mythologize swordmaking to the exclusion of all else. (Fun fact: the -really- mythologize swords and swordmaking: Their name in their own language basically means "Those guys with the swords".) But: One of their big things is "Noblesse oblige' to the point of basically infantilizing the peasantry; the noble class expects nothing of the working class and thinks of them as children that must be protected and cared for. And because the peasants are regarded as children, the nobles are expected to be upright paragons of virtue to show them the way.

Their conflict with Uld is mostly ideological; Ulds are "What if the prosperity gospel got established among medieval trade guilds" and thus treat being poor as a moral failing. The Dindarvans meanwhile are all "Sure, the peasants are helpless babies but that's why you have to take care of them." (Also the Uldish blacksmiths have a faction that keep trying to steal Dindarvan smithing secrets.)

They take it seriously, too; the Dindarvan school of magic that's not about swordsmithing, the Stoneheart guardians, is exclusively made up of failed nobility; folks who showed the sort of moral weakness expect of peasants. So they cave in their chests with loving boulders to replace their hearts to try and become the sort of paragons they're expected to be.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Is there anything interesting to Dindavara other than being black notjapan?

I like that the default time period the book is set in is about to be plunged into a massive war between Dindavara and the Empire because the treaty that was signed between them after the last war is worded something like "and there shall be peace between our nations for as long as we live, and our children, our children's children and their children" which the Imperials took to mean "in perpetuity" and the Dindavarans have been literally counting and are making lots of noise that the last old man is about to die and then it's on. Other cool things they have include Dindavaran Death Forging, the magic school of quenching swords into living beings (up to and including full-blown demons) when you make them to get kek magic swords; Stoneheart Guardians who are pretty much religious fanatics whose magic school turns them into a psychopath who cannot fall asleep; the only formal military training program in the entire world; Game of Thrones happening between shockingly well armed houses of nobles. They're sort of aesthetically feudal japan but I'd really liken their culture more to Sparta. Military service is literally everything and the nobility are defined by the art of war and combat. I believe the stated reason for why peasants aren't real people is because they are not allowed to hold swords. Foreigners are obviously evil because some of them use swords and they definitely haven't been given the okay by the Sword-Father.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Dindavara is definitely not my favourite of the major nations, but I think the most interesting thing to be found there is the friction between their ideology and their reality.

Their philosophy says that they have a manifest destiny to conquer the world in order to save it, because only noble Dindavarans are fit to rule; peasants are like children, and foreigners aren't evil, they're like children who have never had good parents. The Dindavarans who are most likely to drink this Honorable Samurai Kool-Aid are blind fanatics, chickenhawks with something to gain from war, or sheltered nobles who have never had contact with foreigners. So there's a tug of war between those fools and the Dindavarans who are skeptical, worldly, or just pragmatic enough to know that spilling gallons of noble blood into the soil is too high a price to pay for a chunk of the Truil Wastes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sion posted:

Interesting. Tell me more~
Hey if you're still looking for 13th Age positives read the GM advice thread, there's a discussion going on that highlights another thing that's great about it: not only does it allow for houserules and reasonable solutions to mechanics problems, chances are those houserules are already its actual rules. The discussion example is resting frequency but I can think of one or two other areas where I thought the same thing.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
REIGN doesn't even make a big deal out of its setting. The women cavalry thing is a sidebar, a curiosity. If I remember it right, it's only halfway through the book that it mentions that oh, by the way, everyone's black, and it's over in a sentence or two. None of the things people make Issues out of are treated as Issues in the book. The book just wants to chill and talk about clothing and food and martial arts and how wizards are creepy people and cool plot hooks based on Terminator 2 demons.

REIGN is great.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sounds like Reign needs more art.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Lightning Lord posted:

God, don't I know it. Part of why I stopped going to TGD for a while.

That said, it's worse for me because I'm a massive perfectionist, and not a terribly hard worker. And then I insist on heavily custom settings or even entirely homebrewed systems, which makes the whole thing even more of a hassle. Even my relatively-normal 13th Age game is stalling because of my massive custom Icons list and setting doc, let alone any of the systems I have planned with great stuff I really wanna run.

Cyphoderus posted:

REIGN doesn't even make a big deal out of its setting. The women cavalry thing is a sidebar, a curiosity. If I remember it right, it's only halfway through the book that it mentions that oh, by the way, everyone's black, and it's over in a sentence or two. None of the things people make Issues out of are treated as Issues in the book. The book just wants to chill and talk about clothing and food and martial arts and how wizards are creepy people and cool plot hooks based on Terminator 2 demons.

I can get behind this. More games need to be like that, I think!

Actually, that's something that annoyed me recently, because I was thinking I should figure out what Blue Rose is all about, and then I go to its Kickstarter page and there was basically nothing about its actual setting beyond the inclusiveness posturing. Mind you, that's probably a decent plan for making the right kind of nerds mad, and I assume most of the people donating are already in the know, but it's not something that makes me happy in the general sense.

I mean, it's an RPG! That an RPG doesn't poo poo on the queertocracy is a big thing for me, but other than that, I can run my weird sapphic dystopias in just about anything. I want to know more about your setting than how inclusive it is, because my will as a GM will make anything inclusive - give me more.

Queen Fiona fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 29, 2015

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'd rather blow my brains off with a shotgun than spend more time writing enormous paragraphs and reading Kotaku and Polygon articles about videogames than playing them and hell if I'd waste my time doing something for a hobby I care even less.

Reasonable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Queen Fiona posted:

I can get behind this. More games need to be like that, I think!

Actually, that's something that annoyed me recently, because I was thinking I should figure out what Blue Rose is all about, and then I go to its Kickstarter page and there was basically nothing about its actual setting beyond the inclusiveness posturing. Mind you, that's probably a decent plan for making the right kind of nerds mad, and I assume most of the people donating are already in the know, but it's not something that makes me happy in the general sense.

I mean, it's an RPG! That an RPG doesn't poo poo on the queertocracy is a big thing for me, but other than that, I can run my weird sapphic dystopias in just about anything. I want to know more about your setting than how inclusive it is, because my will as a GM will make anything inclusive - give me more.

I don't recall the first edition of Blue Rose really hammering on about the "gays exist" thing, it was there and got like a handful of mentions and that was it. The elevator pitch for Blue Rose was more "what if someone made a d20 game but based more on Mercedes Lackey and Diane Duane than R.E. Howard and Tolkien?"

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I don't recall the first edition of Blue Rose really hammering on about the "gays exist" thing, it was there and got like a handful of mentions and that was it. The elevator pitch for Blue Rose was more "what if someone made a d20 game but based more on Mercedes Lackey and Diane Duane than R.E. Howard and Tolkien?"

Yeah, no. I read about it in a previous link in a thread - that it was just a handful of references and a general attitude, and people took it out of proportion. Like people say, it's just something that makes certain kinds of nerds really mad. It's more a direct criticism of the Kickstarter than the game itself, and my frustration at how little people actually seem to talk about it (good or bad).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's almost as if the dudes getting butthurt about it had some kinda bigotry or something.

Yea, there were a few bits that were just 'yea in this world gays are a thing and the good guys accept them because, ya know, they're the good guys' and those got blown into "WELCOME TO BLUE ROSE HERE'S YOUR MANDATORY BUTTPLUGS AND POPPERS GET WILD

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

MANDATORY BUTTPLUGS
Now we know why all the men on Heluso and Milonda ride sidesaddle.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's almost as if the dudes getting butthurt about it had some kinda bigotry or something.

Yea, there were a few bits that were just 'yea in this world gays are a thing and the good guys accept them because, ya know, they're the good guys' and those got blown into "WELCOME TO BLUE ROSE HERE'S YOUR MANDATORY BUTTPLUGS AND POPPERS GET WILD

To be fair, if groggy sexual content RPGs are any indication, you're either allowed no sexuality at all (unless you're a female monster or sex worker or something), or sex all the time. This confusing middle ground of accepting people actually having relationships regardless of sex is probably making them think it's the latter?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean really, the biggest impression I took away from Blue Rose is that the True20 system was just really, really, really boring. I know people are looking askance at AGE but honestly, it's not like the first version of the game was much better in terms of not being an extremely derivative fantasy gaming system. I'm all in favor of fantasy settings that feature playable psychic sentient animals (or just talking animals in general) and look to other examples of fantasy literature for inspiration instead of drawing on the same well again and again, but for all the furor surrounding it Blue Rose wasn't really that thrilling.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Not having sex crap on your tabletop game is the best choice all things considered.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Queen Fiona posted:

This is a very valid criticism, actually. It gives the impression that Blue Rose has nothing to offer apart from a gay-friendly setting; as much as you should not need GM meddling to get something like that, I would have loved to get a better idea of what is going on in Aldis without having to do research on my own. How many new players will not back it because they have no idea what sort of settima they are getting?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Not having sex crap on your tabletop game is the best choice all things considered.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really you shouldn't be letting anything crap on your tabletop games, that's unsanitary

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

REIGN had one of the nations of the Empire have a tradition of nudism with no fuss nor sexual undertones whatsoever.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

really you shouldn't be letting anything crap on your tabletop games, that's unsanitary

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/29/tabletop-rpg-award-nominates-copyright-infringing-game-multiple-awards/

quote:

Today, one of the few awards in tabletop roleplaying games announced its 2015 award nominees. There are some really good games that are in the running for ENnies awards, but as I went over the list a different story emerged. The judges at the ENnies awards managed to not once, not twice but three times nominate Mass Effect: The Fate RPG. It is up for Best Electronic Book, Best Free Product and Product of The Year.

This PDF game had previously appeared at the DriveThruRPG site, where it was taken down for copyright and trademark infringement. The creator then hosted it up on his own site instead.

The ENnies are an award where the publishers have to submit their products, so this is not a case where the judges pulled this particular game out and ran with it. When this game is side by side with officially licensed games based on the Firefly and Doctor Who television shows, it seems to send a strange message to both fan and commercial tabletop RPG publishers. Why bother going through the legal process and paying fees to those who own a property when you can just make it anyway and still get a nomination for Product of the Year besides some of the best games produced over the course of the last year?

Tabletop roleplaying is run more on enthusiasm than business sense more often than it should be, but does that excuse naming an illegally produced product as one of the top products of the year for tabletop RPGs? What does that say to those people who produce things according to the rules, and the laws? What would BioWare and EA Games would think of all of this?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The ennies are worthless poo poo, film at eleven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
They really should just have one Ennie Award and present it to Pathfinder every year. It would save a lot of time and I wouldn't have to hear about the Ennies so often.

• Locked thread