Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So this morning I was looking for my old Goosebumps books for work and I stumbled on a box of old tg stuff. A couple precons from .hack//enemy, all my old LotR hex game figs, and my copy of Pimp: the Backhanding. I was initially excited about that last one but looking it over again it doesn't actually look fun. 18 year old me had terrible taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't feel bad. 18 year old everybody had terrible taste.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't feel bad. 18 year old everybody had terrible taste.

I just remember it being way funnier than it is.

the rules posted:

Designate a card bitch and have him divide the
100 cards into three decks according to the logo
on the card backs: a Pimp Deck, a Ho Deck and a
Draw Deck. Have the card bitch shuffle each deck
and fetch a couple six-sided dice. (Not included.
Raid your little sister’s Sugar Chutes game). While
not technically required for play, a nice malt liquor
or your favorite vintage of fortified wine is also a
fine game accessory.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I remember people getting mad about Pimp because of how inappropriate it was.

Sadly, it doesn't seem that bad anymore. :smith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

I remember people getting mad about Pimp because of how inappropriate it was.
I've always been not-so-secretly delighted by the downtown of WW's fortunes that occurred right around when Pimp:The Backhanding came out. :unsmith:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FMguru posted:

I've always been not-so-secretly delighted by the downtown of WW's fortunes that occurred right around when Pimp:The Backhanding came out. :unsmith:

same, but more with an unhealthy tendency to revel in other's unhappiness in a general sense

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FMguru posted:

I don't because when it comes to White Wolf I love the drat product.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gritty Rogue. :smug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I am a hardboiled bandit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuego Fish posted:

Huh, that sounds like an interesting system. And sure, go for it! I'm happy to know people are usin' my material.

If I had PMs I'd send you a copy to look over(although it is pretty cheap over on Drivethru)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I am a hardboiled bandit.
Humpty Dumpty's Big Adventure

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Not surprisingly, I'm a failure. :negative:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

frankenfreak posted:

We can be failure friends! :downs:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

frankenfreak posted:

well yeah you post in this forum

WAIT poo poo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Perhaps we are the true monsters. Or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Perhaps we are the true monsters. Or something.
Well, we're definitely not Slendermans.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Are you saying that the Slenderman is a fake monster?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are you saying that the Slenderman is a fake monster?
I'm saying you're fat.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm saying you're fat.

:(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm saying you're fat.

Oh no you didn'-

Wait, no, you did, and it was dumb.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Oh no you didn'-

Wait, no, you did, and it was dumb.

thread in a nutshell

anyway, who hasn't seen mad max yet

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

First RPG experience was one of those D&D FastPlays from the late 90s, specifically Eye of the Wyvern and

Some of my extremely amateur efforts from this time period in 5th grade related to RPGs and games include:
- A D&D adventure set in my elementary school. It included lots of in-jokes about teachers (like the music teacher having a bad singing voice), gum-under-the-desk being a horde of 30 1hp creatures, gelatinous cubes spawning from Jello cups in the cafeteria, and the Jerk DM's Best Friend Eternal rear end in a top hat to the PCs, an old man with 2 hp and a 6th level scroll of Lightning Bolt. In the wrong hands and at the wrong time, this probably could've easily been interpreted as some terrorist plot to blow up my school or something. Instead, it was just a way to poke fun at how things worked in my school!
- A Starcraft Card Game! Except in the 5th grade I had no idea what 'design' or 'balance' was or how resources needed to play out across turns, so it was something along the lines of a straight stat-rip from the Brood War strategy guide. I forgot how we dealt with mechanics like Burrow.
- A Half-Finished Gundam Wing Card Game! This was little more than really cool mecha drawings in the style of MtG cards, as I had yet to grapple with how resources, combat, and piloting would work. In other words, that thing called 'design'.
- A short story about adventuring in the world of Diablo! This was an effort between one of my friends and I. We had really cool ideas for characters like "Link". Thank you, Ocarina of Time, for being really popular at the time.

After 5th/6th grade, D&D sort of fell out of style because I was the only person in my group who ever acquired anything beyond the Fast-Plays for AD&D. I had the DMG and the Guide to Fighters, but no one had the PHB so we could actually play things. Eventually when 3.0 released around 8th grade, I got the DMG (again) and managed to convince one of my friends (the same one I wrote Diablo with and made the SC card game with) to pick up the hobby again because he was really into Star Wars at the time and wanted nothing more than to play a game with a lightsaber. I used Brilliant Energy weapons to convince him. After that, he bought into it and got the whole set of handbooks (and not just the DMG like me) and we all eventually got our own basic sets and got back into D&D.

I guess to this day Brilliant Energy weapons hold a special place in my heart because of what they helped me to kick-off.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Captain Foo posted:

Gonna go see it this weekend hopefully. I wasn't too sure since I haven't watched any of the other Mad Max movies but I've been hearing great things about it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

Me. Two young kids, not enough babysitters. :(

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Heliotrope posted:

Gonna go see it this weekend hopefully. I wasn't too sure since I haven't watched any of the other Mad Max movies but I've been hearing great things about it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Hopefully seeing Fury Road this weekend assuming the rains don't come back and make 'casual outings' into a visit to the wrong post apocalyptic movie.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

dwarf74 posted:

We go in shifts, it helps.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Real good handicraft Winson. You should make a living of it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The first thing I played with a friend was WEG Star Wars, but the first thing I bought for myself and obsessed over was GURPS 3rd and a copy of the Mecha sourcebook. I was like 13 at the time, so it was fun to get to pre-calculus class a few years later and realize I'd basically taught it to myself already from that book and the Vehicle design rules.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

dwarf74 posted:

Kids love the Ether Bunny.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Heliotrope posted:

i've seen the other mad max movies and they are all but irrelevant

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Captain Foo posted:

i've seen the other mad max movies and they are all but irrelevant

Yeah, you don't need to see any of the other Mad Max movies to enjoy Fury Road, but you should watch them all anyway, there's something special about each of them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Winson_Paine posted:

We go in shifts, it helps.

Real talk, these look pretty sweet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It wasn't an insult it's just like... that was the joke. Goons are fat. That's the joke. The joke is what it is, and it will be what it will be.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It wasn't an insult it's just like... that was the joke. Goons are fat. That's the joke. The joke is what it is, and it will be what it will be.

:( :( :(

relax dude, I'm not offended, we're all having a laugh here.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 3, 2015

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Swagger Dagger posted:

Yeah, you don't need to see any of the other Mad Max movies to enjoy Fury Road, but you should watch them all anyway, there's something special about each of them.

Except the first one, which is just kinda bad.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
The first Mad Max owns, it's just a '70s maverick cop movie instead of a post-apocalyptic thing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The first Mad Max is 90% Max wanting to retire and then going on vacation. I don't begrudge anyone thinking it's boring as hell.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Heliotrope posted:

You don't need to see the others, they're all really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I didn't know people could actually hate Mad Max. Yeah, Road Warrior's a better movie by far, but those crazy old-school car stunts are a sight to see.

• Locked thread