Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Rand Brittain posted:

In other news, there was some talk in the Exalted thread about the processes used to plan out a book and have the layout ready before the text is written.

I wonder, is anybody in the industry actually writing books that way? I'm not completely sure if it would be workable for a bunch of creative types designing a complicated new set of rules, or if there's anybody who knows how. (There certainly isn't the budget for project managers, any more than there is for PR guys.)

Or maybe some companies are already using this process?

That's weird, but approximately how I'd do it if I were on layout while someone else wrote and the two had to be done simultaneously. On most of the projects I've worked on, layout comes after writing is finished, but I guess E3 needs as much time recovered as possible.

You'd basically go "Okay, this chapter is how many words?" and generate some lorem ipsum of appropriate length. You've usually got a basic idea of what sized illustrations you want in a chapter after you outline, like "full page for this part of combat," "a couple half-pages running through social" or whatever.

The really tricky part in this context would be the potential for getting some sidebars in and loving up your pre-made layout.

Alternatively, they could be talking about a basic page template, with text styles set and your background cruft all set in, but that's almost so generic that it's non-applicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread