Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Here's the maps thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
This is entirely normal. Don't worry; the feeling will pass soon.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Bob Quixote posted:

Probably a text adventure style thing - I think roguelikes might be a bit beyond his abilities at the moment.

Most of the tutorials I've seen online for making text adventures focus on using specialized software to make games, but his main interest is in doing it in C++ from scratch. I'm mainly trying to think of how to go about writing the scenario for the game itself. I'm sure if I look harder though there are probably some good tips out there for setting up puzzles and such.

People recommend using Inform or TADS for text adventures because writing a good parser is a pretty thankless task. Sure, it's easy to parse GET LAMP, but PUT THE SHORTER CANDLE ON THE CANDLESTICK (Which candlestick? The red one or the blue one?) THE BLUE ONE is more complicated. (Inform and TADS also use a virtual-machine system, so the same game can be played on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and even inside a web browser.) You certainly can write a parser from scratch in C++ if that's your interest, but you should be aware of the alternatives.

I'd recommend reading "The Craft of Adventure", by the author of the Inform system; it's a good introduction to making puzzles that are both difficult and fair, as well as the sort of worldbuilding people expect in text adventure games. Another resource is the Interactive Fiction Theory Reader (PDF or paperback), which came out in 2011. Twisty Little Passages is a scholarly history of the medium, published in 2005 by MIT Press.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 7, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Fenarisk posted:

Thought this would be better in the general thread than a specific Apoc World one, but I'm picking up an old project of making an investigative game that I'm hoping mirrors the themes of True Detective, where the protagonists have just as much hosed up internally as the external threats or investigations, and the story unfolds just as much between characters as it does out in the world. Are there any good thematic RPG's that do this currently that people can recommend taking a look at? I've been using the base PbtA engine as a resolution mechanic but looking for more inspiration.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A Dirty World and any Gumshoe game (recommend Mutant City Blues since it basically deals with superhuman cops) are required reading here IMO.

Night's Black Agents (another Gumshoe game) is not exactly the same thing as you're looking for, as it's superspies vs vampires, but it has what looks like a good mechanic for "stability" as you have to deal with weird bloodsucking monsters trying to kill you. NBA characters have a symbol (Old Glory, their partner's badge, etc) that helps keep them focused, a sanctuary or place of safety they can retreat to, and one trustworthy person who can provide solace.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Platinum Index will be going PWYW on DriveThru, too, once they get the ebook versions sorted out.

It's already up (though PDF-only, with the ebook versions coming soon)

• Locked thread