Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
But only if I'm on the throne, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
AGE is the Dragon Age RPG's engine? I don't recall anyone saying anything bad about it, but it's very generic and not really a great representation of its source material.

(The part that gets me? Stats seem to be randomly rolled, which is something that Dragon Age the game didn't do.)

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's pretty much why I'm not interested to a money-giving level, to be frank. It reminds me of Spears of Dawn for my reaction of "Can I get the setting without the game?"

I thought that was every RPG.

Davin Valkri posted:

Dateline Disneyland: Bambi overthrows magic kingdom, establishes junta, prepares to invade Gor.

Okay, that actually sounds pretty cool.

We did establish I'd be the vanguard of any Liberation of Gor, so I guess this means I am a deer?

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

I've played AGE, I pretty much used it for the fanmade Mystara supplement. It's a pretty decent D&D alike, and it has stuff for every class to do. Random rolling is an option, there are others in the book. If it doesn't model Dragon Age accurately, well... That isn't wonderful, but I'm not sure I give a poo poo, because while I enjoy the games their world isn't one I'm particularly interested in playing in, so I'm looking forward to the generic version Green Ronin are putting out. Of course, as my posting in the gated off playpen that is the old school thread can attest, I like D&D.

It's something of a seperate thing from a direct criticism of the mechanics, but if you're going to adapt a work, that should open you up to criticism regarding it. As I recall, mind, I don't think there are any video game to tabletop adaptations that aren't awful in some way, unless you scour Japanese TRPGs or something. Probably the best one I've seen is FFd6, and even that's not exactly amazing. (Wasn't there a big boom of those with d20 - Diablo and Warcraft and stuff, namely?)

quote:

I'm not sure Gor can be liberated, you might need to nuke it.

What, and leave all the innocent women who had the misfortune to be born in such a twisted world to die? Never. :h:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Tulpa posted:

Dragon Age is exactly as generic as the tabletop rpg adaptation thereof (Actually the TRPG is slightly less generic than the video game just because it doesn't come with the one-size-fits-all bioware plot)

The later games end up moving away from the darkspawn plot and into actually interesting territory overall, capitalizing on smaller hints from the DA plot. I mean, your mileage may vary on that (and the quality of the follow-ups in question), and it's still all Fantasy Europe poo poo, but they've certainly tried to mix things up a bit over time.

I don't think Dragon Age Origins was ever intended to be particularly original, mind. (gently caress, Thedas was a placeholder name in the forums, for The Dragon Age Setting, that inexplicably stuck.) It still ends up being a rather well-done execution overall, and the game is notable for including one of the few instances of capital-d Dwarves as a thing I actually enjoy in some manner, Oghren aside. It's not necessarily the most original thing, but it did what it did well enough and it feels a bit like hating the fish for swimming, y'know?

drrockso20 posted:

personally I'm excited for Blue Rose as it's one of my favorite original settings to have emerged out of the D20 boom along with Dragonmech, Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex, and X-Crawl(this last one more relating to the basic idea behind it than the actual execution, as that was kinda weak from what I recall)

I read the F&F of X-Crawl way back when. It's...weird. It's got some pretty good concepts to it, but it sabotages itself in very White Wolf-y ways, and being a d20 system manages to ruin all the mechanics it has that might be interesting through, well, using d20 resolution systems. It's another textbook case of not examining whether your concepts fit your mechanics. (Reminds me a bit of someone trying to make a DXHR-like social combat system - in and of itself a really awesome concept someone should do - who was really insistent it had to be Pathfinder for some reason. Unsurprisingly, this comes up with d20-based systems a lot! she says, shamefully hiding her copy of d20 Modern under the bed)

My knowledge of Blue Rose is essentially zero, so I'm not really getting the deer references myself. Doesn't really seem like my thing, though.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Nah, Dragon Age: Origins is the most D&D 3.5 CRPG ever because fighters and rogues have dozens of options to use and most of the time you're better off just taking an auto-attack. (Especially if you want to dual wield. Using any of the dual wield powers -actually reduces your damage over just auto-attacking for the same time period.)

...And even then you're outdone in survivability and potentially damage by a wizard with the right specialties and a lot of buffs.

Strictly speaking, I think this is more Bioware's incompetence in this regard than some kind of Monte Cook-style System Mastery thing. (As I recall, Caster Supremacy was much less of a thing in Neverwinter Nights than the table, for a variety of reasons - a fair bit of them deliberate changes. Of course, then server admins don't realize this and think they have to nerf magic items and gish builds...)

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Oh, yeah, I was more just saying a culture that reminds me of Longshoreman X is instantly interesting to me.

Now I'm going to have to watch that again. Damnit. This is what I get for spending way too much time on LP a few years back - a huge repository of references no one will get.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Anyone ever get burnt out about discussing RPGs instead of playing them but they just can't get a group together? I feel like I'm at that point right now.

God, don't I know it. Part of why I stopped going to TGD for a while.

That said, it's worse for me because I'm a massive perfectionist, and not a terribly hard worker. And then I insist on heavily custom settings or even entirely homebrewed systems, which makes the whole thing even more of a hassle. Even my relatively-normal 13th Age game is stalling because of my massive custom Icons list and setting doc, let alone any of the systems I have planned with great stuff I really wanna run.

Cyphoderus posted:

REIGN doesn't even make a big deal out of its setting. The women cavalry thing is a sidebar, a curiosity. If I remember it right, it's only halfway through the book that it mentions that oh, by the way, everyone's black, and it's over in a sentence or two. None of the things people make Issues out of are treated as Issues in the book. The book just wants to chill and talk about clothing and food and martial arts and how wizards are creepy people and cool plot hooks based on Terminator 2 demons.

I can get behind this. More games need to be like that, I think!

Actually, that's something that annoyed me recently, because I was thinking I should figure out what Blue Rose is all about, and then I go to its Kickstarter page and there was basically nothing about its actual setting beyond the inclusiveness posturing. Mind you, that's probably a decent plan for making the right kind of nerds mad, and I assume most of the people donating are already in the know, but it's not something that makes me happy in the general sense.

I mean, it's an RPG! That an RPG doesn't poo poo on the queertocracy is a big thing for me, but other than that, I can run my weird sapphic dystopias in just about anything. I want to know more about your setting than how inclusive it is, because my will as a GM will make anything inclusive - give me more.

Queen Fiona fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 29, 2015

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I don't recall the first edition of Blue Rose really hammering on about the "gays exist" thing, it was there and got like a handful of mentions and that was it. The elevator pitch for Blue Rose was more "what if someone made a d20 game but based more on Mercedes Lackey and Diane Duane than R.E. Howard and Tolkien?"

Yeah, no. I read about it in a previous link in a thread - that it was just a handful of references and a general attitude, and people took it out of proportion. Like people say, it's just something that makes certain kinds of nerds really mad. It's more a direct criticism of the Kickstarter than the game itself, and my frustration at how little people actually seem to talk about it (good or bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's almost as if the dudes getting butthurt about it had some kinda bigotry or something.

Yea, there were a few bits that were just 'yea in this world gays are a thing and the good guys accept them because, ya know, they're the good guys' and those got blown into "WELCOME TO BLUE ROSE HERE'S YOUR MANDATORY BUTTPLUGS AND POPPERS GET WILD

To be fair, if groggy sexual content RPGs are any indication, you're either allowed no sexuality at all (unless you're a female monster or sex worker or something), or sex all the time. This confusing middle ground of accepting people actually having relationships regardless of sex is probably making them think it's the latter?

• Locked thread