Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

First game I played was red box D&D, which my mother ran for me and a couple of my friends when I was 10. She wasn't into RPGs, but this was during the latter days of the satanic panic, and she wasn't sure she wanted me playing the games, but being a fairly smart lady she didn't want to deny me it out-of-hand (given I was pretty enthusiastic). She figured the best way to know whether or not it was an appropriate game was by running it herself.

After two sessions, she decided it was pretty okay, if kind of nerdy. I bugged her about running it some more, but instead she suggested that maybe *I* could be the Gamemaster. The very idea blew my mind.

I bought a module at the local hobby shop (B9: Castle Caldwell and Beyond) and ran it. I didn't get any rules wrong per se (the red box is a pretty good teaching tool), though I did run my old PC as a GMPC.

Unfortunately, my best friend of the time with extremely religious and closed-minded parents wasn't allowed to play D&D. He was, on the other hand, allowed to play RPGs, as long as they didn't have the D&D logo on them. So after a while, I was eventually sucked into the Palladium quagmire of the TMNT/Heroes Unlimited/Ninjas and Superspies trifecta, from which it would take me years to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

Your mom seems cool.

Yeah, she is pretty cool. Funny thing about that story, though - she has no recollection whatsoever of ever having run those first two sessions for us. Clearly what was a pretty formative experience during my youth just never really struck her as a particularly big deal. :shrug:

psychopomp posted:

gently caress you, Bargle.

In my headcanon, she was raised by higher-level clerics after being returned to her church. :colbert:

That was such a great box. It's a real shame that TSR gave up on the whole scheme, it was a fantastic gateway product into the world of RPGs.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Ever since I saw that map, I've wanted to play a poncy knight from fancy magic town.

• Locked thread