Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My first right was the Metzner red box with Into the Unknown and the wax crayon for coloring in the dice. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

psychopomp posted:

gently caress you, Bargle.

:(:respek::(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Sorry, all my fantasy gaming map needs are handled by

One day I'll get players who want to visit Kanga-Rat Murder Society. One. Day.

Then once they get used to that, you can expand it out to the real map.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has there ever been a game that captured the whole Kirbyesque Kamandi/Thundarr vibe well?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

(also you forgot to mention He-Man as part of that set of influences, cause Eternia would make for a kick-rear end RPG setting)

I did forget that, yeah; I was just thinking Jack Kirby stuff because he did the character designs for Thundarr.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair there's a bit of cross pollination between Kirby and He-man, since the Live-action He-man got its start as a 4th World movie that took a weird left turn at some point in development.

That's actually not quite the case; it was made as a tribute to all of Kirby's work, not just the Fourth World.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't feel bad. 18 year old everybody had terrible taste.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I remember people getting mad about Pimp because of how inappropriate it was.

Sadly, it doesn't seem that bad anymore. :smith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gritty Rogue. :smug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Perhaps we are the true monsters. Or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Any goons looking to meet up at Origins? I'll be there on Friday during the afternoon and evening, though a lot of that will be taken up by the Smithee Awards in the evening.

East poo poo funcon havers. :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am reading the opening parts of Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine and I am thoroughly confused.
Is this normal?

e: I feel like the game is trying to communicate rules to me, but I cannot grasp how this information that's being given to me is supposed to translate in the practical act of playing.

This is the normal reaction to reading a Jenna Moran game. Carry on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's pretty sad that something like PAX, which is primarily a video game convention, has a better tabletop industry presence than Origins. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know Origins has Games on Demand going, so at least there's that?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bob Quixote posted:

I don't know if this is on topic enough for the off-topic thread, but my younger brother is teaching himself computer programming and he wants me to help him make a text based computer RPG. His main interest is just in working on the code and coming up with ways to handle the various systems and he just wants me there as the 'idea man' to come up with the plot and possible game mechanics, menu layouts and other stuff for him to program in.

Problem is that I haven't really played too many of those sorts of games and am a little at sea about what I should do for the plot. As far as I can tell its like a choose your own adventure book but with fighting, right? Anyone got any suggestions?

So far the only story idea that I have is a cliche reversal of the old as dirt plot where you are a recently deposed generic fantasy overlord trying to win back your kingdom after getting taken down by the local Chosen One who whooped your rear end with the power of friendship/heart/love/etc. You would wake up in a dungeon awaiting trial/inevitable execution for your many many crimes and have to escape.

That idea kinda sucks though so I am open to suggestions for something better.

Do you mean like a roguelike or an Infocom-style text adventure? Because there are tutorials out there for both.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo there was a sequel to the DragonStrike video. For motherfucking SPELLJAMMER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGz5r-b1do

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently WildSpace was never actually released, but going by the YouTube comments there was a complete game with the VHS tape on eBay a while back.

I actually never played or owned DragonStrike, despite being around during that time. I was pretty much all "standard" RPGs back then.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Legit question: why are none of the retroclones out there like that? I feel like hey're always so focused on recreating the core rules they forget all the awesomely nutbag stuff that came out to support the games. There's such a focus on stuff like Tomb of Horrors or the Giants series everyone ignores stuff like Barrier Peaks.

I want a retroclone where "Awesome Pecs and Hair" or "stab enemy with its own weapon" are fighter abilities, where spelljammers just show up when you hit level 9, and your wizard's power is tied to the intricacy of his tattoos.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because the people invested in the OSR are really only looking for some platonic ideal of old-school D&D that didn't actually match up to what was found in D&D during the actual time it was out there, to the point where some retroclones deliberately go out of their way to excise Gygaxian Androids and pulp sci-fi elements during their translation.

I know. It's just so depressing how much awesome stuff from the Actual History of D&D has been abandoned in pursuit of "the game I played when I was 12".

Did you know that in BECMI/RC D&D, Lawful fighters became paladins, and Chaotic fighters could convince monsters to join them as followers? Or that it had a whole weapon mastery system that let fighters pull all sorts of awesome moves that supported the golf-bag-full-of-weapons idea? You wouldn't based on the majority of OSR/retroclone stuff out there!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Labyrinth Lord as the retroclone of B/X has them as a supplement.

It doesn't seem to be available anymore. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

At the risk of sounding whinily un-satisfy-able, LL and Dark* Dungeons are good retroclones and recreate one of my favorite versions of D&D (hell, it's the edition I started with), but the problem I always end up having is that they're so dry. They're not trying to do anything new, or present an expected playstyle, or draw inspiration from anything but the old core rules. They're just rules that, admittedly, I already own.

Going back to the DragonStrike and WildStar videoes: that's the kind of stuff I want in my retroclones because that's what D&D was actually like to me. What got me going in RPGs wasn't the mechanics, it was the cheesy 80's fantasy-with-some-sci-fi movies and comics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

It sounds like what you need is a dose of Encounter Critical. http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/encounter-critical.htm

Thank you for reminding me I own this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DocBubonic posted:

Also I don't remember stuff like, "Awesome Pecs and Hair", "stab enemy with its own weapon" "your wizard's power is tied to the intricacy of his tattoos" showing up when I played early editions of D&D.

They showed up in D&D-inspired stuff, though, is what I'm saying. That's the stuff that inspired me more as a kid than the stuff in Appendix N, which neither me or my friends ever read.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, because I just remembered that an upcoming Fate release is "Masters of Umdaar", which flat-out states taking inspiration from stuff like He-Man, Krull, and Kamandi, so I guess I just have to wait about a month or so for the prettied up version.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This year's Game Chef has begun.

quote:

The theme for Game Chef 2015 is: A Different Audience

We all write with an audience in mind, whether we’re consciously aware of it or not. For this year’s Game Chef, we invite you to challenge your definition of the audience. What if you intentionally tried to write for an audience you’d never considered before, an audience from a different culture or subculture than your usual gaming group? What if you wrote for an audience that has very different ideas about storytelling? What if your game rules required a literal audience? Or what if you designed for an audience that doesn’t exist yet?

Let the theme inspire you and shape your game as you work on it. You’re free to interpret the theme in any way you want and to have a different interpretation than other competitors. While we’ve attempted to explain the theme, we also invite you to wilfully misinterpret it in whatever way you’d like.

The ingredients for Game Chef 2015 are:
  • abandon
  • dragonfly
  • stillness
  • dream

Incorporate 2-3 of the ingredients into your design. Try to incorporate the ingredients as centrally as you can, as part of the premise or the rules or however else makes sense to you. A passing reference is okay if that’s all you can come up with, but we suggest really drawing strongly on the ingredients. Like the theme, you’re free to interpret these ingredients in whatever way you want.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Someone sign up for this and loving stream it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

This game chef is weird. Write a game for a non-gamer audience, but it'll still be gamers and game designers who are judging it, so... try to appeal to the same audience you usually try to appeal to, while pretending to appeal to a different one, I guess.

It's not to write for a non-gamer audience, just an audience that you normally wouldn't write for. Like, if you're focused on indie narrative games, try making one for the simulationist crowd, stuff like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am currently "playing" Numenera.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Too late, I'm the fighter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mechanical Glaive who Masters Weaponry. I can

a) climb
b) stab things

This is a pregen in an investigation-based adventure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, once everyone stopped investigating every potential clue and actually started doing poo poo the game went a lot better. Once we actually got to the point where I could kill things I was pretty much hell on wheels.

It's an okay system, but the die mechanic just feels sideways to me. Especially since I had just run World Wide Wrestling before the game. Bit of a tone shift.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd honestly like to try DCC but I think the biggest problem I have is that it seems like you pretty much need at least one physical book at the table, and generally speaking I'm the only person in any of my groups who actually buys books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

An RPG where each class is based entirely on a ridiculously specific d20 skill. The Ropemaster. The Listener. The Decipherer of Scripts.

That might actually be fun, in a DCC-Funnel kind of way.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Designers & Dragons is really good and worth way more than $20 alone. Those of us who backed it just got the Platinum Appendix, which covers gaming groups, a history of women in gaming, and very recent companies in the RPG industry.

The Platinum Index will be going PWYW on DriveThru, too, once they get the ebook versions sorted out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incredibly missed opportunity for not drawing Immortan Jon.

Would you say it's :mediocre:?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man, John Kim's page. I remember back in Ye Olden Tymes when his Free RPG Page was pretty much the definitive list.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey guys, what was that Japanese game show where everyone was playing card and board games against each other in a mansion? I remember it being really big around here when it was on YouTube.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know which is more frustrating; the Ennies shoving D&D or Pathfinder into any category regardless of quality, or the fact that people think any games besides D&D or Pathfinder have a chance at winning.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 30, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, what do you expect from an award created, hosted by, and run by a site that from Day 1 was the 3.X fanboy site?

I mean, way back when 3e first happened it was the main news source for info on d20 products, but since then it's become 3.Path first, everything else a distant second.

I mean, for gently caress's sake there's a guy in the ENWorld comments complaining that Paizo isn't in enough categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They just announced the replacement nominees for the Ennies:

Best Free Product
Valiant RPG Digital Initiative (Catalyst Game Labs)

Best Electronic Book
Dragon Age Core RuleBook (Green Ronin Publishing)

Product of the Year
Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry (Evil Hat Productions)

• Locked thread