Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

First RPG experience was one of those D&D FastPlays from the late 90s, specifically Eye of the Wyvern and

Some of my extremely amateur efforts from this time period in 5th grade related to RPGs and games include:
- A D&D adventure set in my elementary school. It included lots of in-jokes about teachers (like the music teacher having a bad singing voice), gum-under-the-desk being a horde of 30 1hp creatures, gelatinous cubes spawning from Jello cups in the cafeteria, and the Jerk DM's Best Friend Eternal rear end in a top hat to the PCs, an old man with 2 hp and a 6th level scroll of Lightning Bolt. In the wrong hands and at the wrong time, this probably could've easily been interpreted as some terrorist plot to blow up my school or something. Instead, it was just a way to poke fun at how things worked in my school!
- A Starcraft Card Game! Except in the 5th grade I had no idea what 'design' or 'balance' was or how resources needed to play out across turns, so it was something along the lines of a straight stat-rip from the Brood War strategy guide. I forgot how we dealt with mechanics like Burrow.
- A Half-Finished Gundam Wing Card Game! This was little more than really cool mecha drawings in the style of MtG cards, as I had yet to grapple with how resources, combat, and piloting would work. In other words, that thing called 'design'.
- A short story about adventuring in the world of Diablo! This was an effort between one of my friends and I. We had really cool ideas for characters like "Link". Thank you, Ocarina of Time, for being really popular at the time.

After 5th/6th grade, D&D sort of fell out of style because I was the only person in my group who ever acquired anything beyond the Fast-Plays for AD&D. I had the DMG and the Guide to Fighters, but no one had the PHB so we could actually play things. Eventually when 3.0 released around 8th grade, I got the DMG (again) and managed to convince one of my friends (the same one I wrote Diablo with and made the SC card game with) to pick up the hobby again because he was really into Star Wars at the time and wanted nothing more than to play a game with a lightsaber. I used Brilliant Energy weapons to convince him. After that, he bought into it and got the whole set of handbooks (and not just the DMG like me) and we all eventually got our own basic sets and got back into D&D.

I guess to this day Brilliant Energy weapons hold a special place in my heart because of what they helped me to kick-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread