Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The real question is: if I enjoyed Fury Road, should I watch Happy Feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can anydice evaluate success probabilities of opposed rolls? If not, can a different tool do it?
If you're talking on a d20, someone's done the work for you: https://klubkev.org/~ksulliva/ralph/dnd-stats.html

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Paolomania posted:

a game where the main characters were really the cars
That reminds me, I've always wondered how you could go about making a Top Gear RPG. Probably a mix of whatever you'd use to emulate Mad Max, and Paranoia.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 6, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's the hottest summeriest day of the year so far here, and I spent it largely indoors reading Asterix. No regrets. In fact, I want to run a game now with the same premise. Be the most prominent warriors of the small rebellious village, visit all the ends of the earth because the Imperator has cooked up some new scheme, meet all the fantasy stereotypes that ever existed from Scottish dwarves to computer-like warforged. Reskin any and all enemies to Imperial Soldiers. XP is tracked in Imperial helmets.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shadow of the Colossus is my go-to soundtrack. It has epic battle music and calm exploratory stuff, and enough variety of both that you don't have to loop the same two minutes for hours at a time.

For pure ambience I found http://tabletopaudio.com/ recently and it's pretty neat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Serf posted:

In several species of animals that have multiple births, the young will sometimes eat each other, so only the strongest of them survive. You could sorta adapt this in a way so that inheritance is merit-based. The children would have to prove themselves to their mother, either through some culturally-constructed method that establishes worth, or alternatively by actually killing their siblings if you're looking for a more sadistic take. Actually, no matter how you slice it, this system would be pretty awful to live in.
With a high infant mortality rate I'd assume the foremost qualifier to inherit would be surviving your own birth and infancy to begin with. The children later making attempts at each others' life to improve their own lot would only be a natural extension of that. Such a thing might well be perfectly acceptable in this society, since everyone went through the same thing. I could even imagine there would be a stronger kinship between siblings from different litters - your littermates are competition, your other siblings are fellow survivors deserving of respect.

The team idea, on the other hand, ties in nicely with the concept of adventuring parties...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've started replaying Neverwinter Nights 2 recently.

Objectively, it's a mess. Act 1 is already incredibly tedious and not getting any better from what I hear. Turn-based mechanics in a real-time game are not a good fit, and I desperately wish there was a way to adjust the AI's targetting; I'm playing a warlock and around 1/4 of my eldritch blasts poof away into nothingness because my frontline fighter drops the targetted enemy the second I start casting, and you can't retarget. Not to mention how the enemy AI zeroes in on you and you alone. As far as the story goes, they should have dropped the pretense of letting you make your own character and had you start out with the guy they obviously wrote the campaign (and AI) for, Generic Lawful Good Paladin. Or, like, let you pick from 3-4 characterizations at the start independent of class/alignment/stuff.

And yet I'm still having fun playing it. I think it's a reptile brain "numbers go up" thing. What's more, I'm starting to think I could actually have fun playing 3.5 again despite all the evidence to the contrary. Probably should give it a rest before I do something stupid.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had serious starting difficulties as well. I restarted something like three or four times with different characters, which closely mimics my actual real-life 3.5 playing. I actually tried playing the game years ago and it was just the same then. Play a warlock - but all the enemies rush you and the dialogue options push you too much towards lawful or evil. Ranger! Dinosaur companion! Awesome! Nope, not awesome, what little tactics playing as a warlock brought is gone now, you just click an enemy and wait until the fight is over. Go with a prestige class - nope now I have to plan out this character from level 1-20 and I can't be bothered. I wish they'd had Duskblades. Only 3.5 class I ever really had fun and stuck with.

In the end I went back to the warlock and got used to the fact that if I get bored, I can switch to a companion for a while. And also edited a file to remove the alignment restriction.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kellsterik posted:

Definitely, but I think the imagery of an enchanted collar being put around your neck because you defied the government suggests something different from say, an herbal remedy.
First thing that came to mind for me was Clockwork Orange's Ludovico technique, and frankly the spell description doesn't reduce that impression enough to be comfortable.

e: also the idea of a forehead tattoo is a bit :stare: and the less said about "we hold all life sacred so don't do things that carry the death penalty" the better.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 26, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GrizzlyCow posted:

Okay, okay, I can see how the peace torc can be construed as to being creepy and oppressive, but how the hell is a cultural understanding that all people's lives are inherently valuable (even criminal's lives) and a brand of exile weird at all?
Now that I read it again, I actually got that wrong - I thought it was like "your life is sacred to us so don't go to the evil kingdom or we have to kill you" but it's actually the evil kingdom that kills exiles trying to enter. So nevermind that!

The exile tattoo is a sentence of lifelong ostracism, though. Wherever you go people will recognize you as an unrepentant criminal - "hey, that's the tattoo they use in Aldis!" - , and presumably they're not as progressive everywhere as in Aldis. They're cautioning the exiles not to go where they will certainly be killed, but everywhere else is like, well something might happen to you or it might not anyway not our problem anymore bye now. And even without that it just evokes images from countless dystopian media where forehead branding is what the bad guys do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, but remember, the ones that get this treatment are the ones which all other attempts at reform have failed. "Please stop murdering people" "No" "Ok then, we feel killing, brainwashing, or permanently incarcerating you is wrong, so we're gonna exile you from our lands. In order to reduce the risk you stand to others, we are going visibly mark you as a hazardous person."

Not a perfect solution, but what else are they supposed to do to someone who refuses to reform?
There are two things bound to happen in the neighboring kingdoms: people start also killing the exiles on sight because better safe than sorry, or underground industries start developing where back alley mage doctors remove exiles' collars and tattoos, after which they're free to continue their ways. Either way, it's shifting the responsibility for your citizens, irredeemably antisocial or not, on to other kingdoms. You're declaring those irredeemable offenders vogelfrei, and that seems to go strongly against the general progressive society vibes the rest of the description invokes.

I mean, not that it doesn't make for interesting story hooks, having a flaw in your fictional society.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 27, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oriongates posted:

You know what, I'm happy that I have absolutely no knowledge of Blue Rose, not because it sounds like a bad game but because it means the constant, apparently random, references everyone makes to "magic deer" makes this whole conversation wonderfully surreal.
Yeah, I feel like I have one of those "_____-to-_____" extensions installed, or should have.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

13th Age is pretty drat 3.5ish but lacks the vast majority of 3.5 bullshit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sion posted:

Interesting. Tell me more~
In addition to the 13th Age thread:

Everything is immediately familiar. You've got your elves and dwarves, your fighters and wizards, your six ability scores. Everything is incredibly streamlined, though, without ending up too focused on mechanics. For example, instead of a list of narrowly defined skills that you fill up little by little, you just write down 2-3 things that define your character, and those come into play whenever it seems appropriate. Instead of tracking distances and ranges on a grid map, you just note if an enemy is far away, nearby or right in your face.

Every class is useful in its own right; there's still a range of complexity that goes roughly from simple fighters to complex mages, but playing a fighter isn't just "I attack" turn after turn and wizards don't have a huge range of encounter circumvention spells. There are few hugely complex rules interactions so you can easily houserule stuff without worrying about unforeseen effects down the line a whole lot. In fact, the way the game is written already encourages working together with the whole player group to come up with cool stories over character optimization and antagonism between players and DM.

There's also a pretty cool mechanic where you're invested with the movers and shakers of the setting from day one and it has tangible effects.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Incredibly missed opportunity for not drawing Immortan Jon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sion posted:

Interesting. Tell me more~
Hey if you're still looking for 13th Age positives read the GM advice thread, there's a discussion going on that highlights another thing that's great about it: not only does it allow for houserules and reasonable solutions to mechanics problems, chances are those houserules are already its actual rules. The discussion example is resting frequency but I can think of one or two other areas where I thought the same thing.

• Locked thread