Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What was the first game you ever played? How badly did you mess up the rules? Some friends and I tried to play a lot of Second Edition Dungeons and Dragons but it turns out that it doesn't make any sense to children and we mostly just got confused and hosed things up. And we didn't do well in the game, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Top Ten Most Mad Max Films:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Handmaid's Tale
3. The Hunger Games
4. Mean Girls
5. Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
6. Mad Max: The Road Warrior
7. Bridesmaids
8. Untitled Melissa McCarthy Project (2017)
9. Josie and the Pussycats
10. Mad Max

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Serf posted:

Technically D&D 3.0, but that was an online game that consisted of me making a character and playing one session where I didn't roll the dice once or even really talk because apparently it was Husband-Wife Paladin Power Hour and no one told me and my poor barbarian Thag. I decided not to come back after that miserable experience.

I count 4E as my first actual RPG. I DMed for a group of my college friends and we had a blast. They wrestled with a scorpion, fought robots and a goblin with a shotgun, crashed an airship. One guy played a wizard who was just MLB pitcher Brian Wilson. We played for maybe six months every few weeks or so, but I hosed up the XP rules and didn't split it between them so they were probably level 16 by that time.

Game ended when most of the party (who were basically anarchists) turned on the one "good" member of the team and the climactic fight of the session turned into PvP. The player was okay with it, but after that no one really wanted to get back together. Kinda a bad way to end it, but to ths day we all remember the campaign fondly.
I think that accelerating the leveling curve makes D&D 4e more fun anyway. I went with a level every three sessions, two if we were on a tight schedule, for an Eberron game that ran for a year on a calendar deadline. It made combat a lot more interesting, because the players and enemies all got new tools fairly quickly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

lived in something that barely qualifies as a city.
Oh, you're from Spokane?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Spokane is the Seat of Spokane County. My native hamlet is only the Seat of a traditional Southern Italian dance.
You're from Dougie, North Carolina?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

holy poo poo, why is Spokane's crime rate so high
It's a former industrial town and is super poor for a city of its size.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

while we're on the topic of maps, how many people here would play in and/or run a game in this world;

Europe? Sure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair there's a bit of cross pollination between Kirby and He-man, since the Live-action He-man got its start as a 4th World movie that took a weird left turn at some point in development.

Which means that somehow we got deprived of Frank Langella playing Darkseid instead of Skeletor.
There's cross-pollination between Kirby and everyone because he can absorb their powers!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stan Lee tried to steal some of Jack Kirby's ideas but Kirby used his Leaf power to shred all the stolen pages!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I am a hardboiled bandit.
Humpty Dumpty's Big Adventure

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Perhaps we are the true monsters. Or something.
Well, we're definitely not Slendermans.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are you saying that the Slenderman is a fake monster?
I'm saying you're fat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It wasn't an insult it's just like... that was the joke. Goons are fat. That's the joke. The joke is what it is, and it will be what it will be.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Car chases are the best thing a movie can have
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck need to do a 70s-style car chase movie together.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

The real question is: if I enjoyed Fury Road, should I watch Happy Feet?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Top Ten Most Mad Max Films:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Handmaid's Tale
3. The Hunger Games
4. Mean Girls
5. Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
6. Mad Max: The Road Warrior
7. Bridesmaids
8. Untitled Melissa McCarthy Project (2017)
9. Josie and the Pussycats
10. Mad Max
It's not on the list.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnielab posted:

There were women in Die Hard?
Yes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Huh. Admittedly I haven't seen it sense I was like 13, but all I remember is the fat cop from that TV show, Bruce Willis' nasty feet, and some dude chainsawing through a huge bundle of power lines.
What's the deal with your avatar?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Miller is a great fantasist. It's overlooked a bit because the Mad Max movies are primarily action films, but in every movie I've seen of his he's creating worlds.
It's true. Normally there aren't pigs in cities.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There are, they just patrol around in police cars.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

All of the instrumental music that Brian Eno did during the 70s, including the three David Bowie albums he produced, are my go-to for creepy dungeon music. I used to have a big playlist of that stuff that I would put on while playing Pool of Radiance and other old dungeon crawlers. I also bust these out for anything horror related, especially Lovecraft-related.
Eno didn't produce the Berlin trilogy, he co-wrote and performed on it (not vocals though).

The producer was Tony Visconti, who had worked with Bowie in the past.

P.S. Low is the best album in the trilogy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Ah, I was getting everything confused with 1. Outside, when he actually dumped Tony for Brian, if I remember right.

Agreed re:Low.
Another Green World also makes great RPG music, since so much of it is about exploration and adventure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you argue about anime in this thread I will close it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Well, D&D 4e lets you play as a good amount of monster races without level adjustment crap...
I think it's unfair to call dwarves monsters, they're just kinda grouchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

In D&D Dwarves can be up to five feet tall, but if you joke w/ your significant other about how she is within the height range for D&D dwarves she'll scowl at you. Thanks WOTC.
If she tries anything you can just put your hand on her head and hold her out at arm's length.

• Locked thread