Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Are there any great guides for running RPGs online with chat or voice chat? Roll20 and Skype seem to be common options, but I'm thinking of dipping my toes in finally to get some far-flung friends together, and I'm probably going to be organizing things, but I'd like to have some idea of what the best tools are and what the common stumbling blocks are.

Roll20 is pretty easy to use once you get used to making the maps. Just treat it a lot like playing an RPG with a shared whiteboard and it'll go fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mind elaborating on that? I'm guessing one of the following reasons:
1. the variant rules are a continuation of cheap rip-offs of 3.5
2. it didn't actually add much to martial classes despite the name
3. it had new and more spells, which is rich for a book called Ultimate Combat, especially when said spells continue to tread on martials

It's number 3. It has as much or more material for spellcasting as fighters, and the Gunslinger it added is a hot mess.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kellsterik posted:

I agree that it would come from an already unfriendly reading of the book, but the torc is a bit unsettling because it evokes the imagery of the "taking over the world for humanity's own good" stock setting. It's not hard to read that and picture these people having glassy eyes and not quite remembering their own names.

It sounds more like it's just a magical version of psychiatric meds for psychotics.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Also "By the way almost everyone's black, the only white cultures are the cannibal barbarian werewolves and the sea-going nomadic pirates with a fighting style based on weaponized longshoreman's hooks." But then, they only ever -read- that paragraph, so...

In fairness, it sounds like the white guys got some pretty cool hooks to work with there. No pun intended.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think it was ever meant to be some sort of in-your-face HEY CHECK IT OUT IT'S LIKE IF RACISM WAS REVERSED thing, Stolze makes a point of noting that there's no real history of ethnicity-based slavery or genocide going on in the setting, simply that every culture views themselves as the apex of civilization and every other culture as filthy barbarian savages.

Oh, yeah, I was more just saying a culture that reminds me of Longshoreman X is instantly interesting to me.

• Locked thread