Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Runequest 2E, I was 3 or 4 years old, and I was playing a Humakti duck named "Donald" because when you are 3 or 4 that is the cleverest goddamn thing. I probably messed up all kinds of rules but it was basically just "Listen to when dad tells you to roll dice."

I distinctly remember using an arbalest which I don't think ducks can even carry, actually.

Later on, older and wiser, (I was 5) my clever naming extended to playing a D&D cleric named Eric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Sorry, all my fantasy gaming map needs are handled by

One day I'll get players who want to visit Kanga-Rat Murder Society. One. Day.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I did forget that, yeah; I was just thinking Jack Kirby stuff because he did the character designs for Thundarr.

To be fair there's a bit of cross pollination between Kirby and He-man, since the Live-action He-man got its start as a 4th World movie that took a weird left turn at some point in development.

Which means that somehow we got deprived of Frank Langella playing Darkseid instead of Skeletor.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hopefully seeing Fury Road this weekend assuming the rains don't come back and make 'casual outings' into a visit to the wrong post apocalyptic movie.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ver. Blue Amusement had a booth, strangely enough, and their head translator was there. They'd already sold out of Double Cross by the time I arrived, though they're working on a hardcover / clarification of the main book.

Yeah, they're redoing the corebook powers to match the format change in one of the later books, and I think the hardback corebook's going to be the same form factor as the others so they don't line up super-lopsidedly on the shelf. No real rules changes, jut clarifications on stuff/fixing missed errata from the last round.

...I'll probably still get it anyway.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy poo poo there was a sequel to the DragonStrike video. For motherfucking SPELLJAMMER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGz5r-b1do

Oh, man, you missed WILDSPACE

(WIIILDSPACE!)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It sounds like what you need is a dose of Encounter Critical. http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/encounter-critical.htm

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

They are not really that -much- worse. Sorcerers can still use wands/scrolls that are on their spell list, even if they don't know the spells. They're generally a level behind on the 'now I have the good stuff' breakpoints, so by the time the sorcerer gets fireball a wizard's been using it for a couple of adventures. That was the first issue.

The other is that the designers -really- over-valued spontaneous casting as a thing, so the sorcerer was basically "Wizard who gets the good spells slower and doesn't get bonus feats."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think I figured out the target audience for PFO: It's not for regular MMO players, it's for people who've watched anime about people trapped in an MMO, because they think this poo poo is how it should work.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

What sort of blank glaive who blanks are you?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Well, it could be worse.

You could be playing the Strange in a pre-gen entirely built around Thunder Plains.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It sounds more like it's just a magical version of psychiatric meds for psychotics.

Pretty much: Here's the description of the Calm arcana:

You can drain intense emotion, calming those around you. The target creature must make a Will saving throw or be drained of all extremes of emotion. The creature is calm and incapable of taking violent action (although it can defend itself) or doing anything else destructive. Any aggressive action or damage against the subject breaks the effect. A successful Will save means the creature acts normally. This arcanum suppresses (but does not dispel) arcana relying on emotion, such as Heart Shaping. While the Calm effect lasts, the suppressed arcanum has no effect.

Also, it only gets used on repeat offender violent criminals and murderers, so it's not really "anyone who's defied the government."

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 26, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

What's actually fun is to watch how non-wizards increasingly got more abilities in the actual Dragon Age crpgs then you look at AGE and welllllll

I mean poo poo even in Dragon Age: Origins warriors got a few abilities. What about the wizard cross-powers that were probably DA:O's biggest mechanical "cool thing?"

AGE just feels like someone had their generic heartbreaker sitting around and someone yelled out "HEY WE GOT A LICENSE!" and they just stapled it on. It's so hilariously unfitting for the license. Even more hilariously, the engine that would fit Dragon Age, especially the later games? 4e.

Nah, Dragon Age: Origins is the most D&D 3.5 CRPG ever because fighters and rogues have dozens of options to use and most of the time you're better off just taking an auto-attack. (Especially if you want to dual wield. Using any of the dual wield powers -actually reduces your damage over just auto-attacking for the same time period.)

...And even then you're outdone in survivability and potentially damage by a wizard with the right specialties and a lot of buffs.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

The "Magic Deer" thing seems similar to the thing about how you can't play a D&D paladin in REIGN unless it's a female paladin; a distorted rumour that was hotly debated among a circle of people much broader than the number of people who actually read/played the game.

Oh god that loving thread.

...The best part was that everyone was so focused on the "men ride side-saddle" paragraph they missed like all the other weird things about the setting like "No one executes people directly, they just put them in cages to starve to death because direct murder leads to angry ghosts"

Also "By the way almost everyone's black, the only white cultures are the cannibal barbarian werewolves and the sea-going nomadic pirates with a fighting style based on weaponized longshoreman's hooks." But then, they only ever -read- that paragraph, so...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's worth noting that the only Reign sourcebook thing that came close to not crowdsourcing itself was the one that -did- have all the standard fantasy races and no humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Dindarva's not really 'not Japan' unless you zero in on how they mythologize swordmaking to the exclusion of all else. (Fun fact: the -really- mythologize swords and swordmaking: Their name in their own language basically means "Those guys with the swords".) But: One of their big things is "Noblesse oblige' to the point of basically infantilizing the peasantry; the noble class expects nothing of the working class and thinks of them as children that must be protected and cared for. And because the peasants are regarded as children, the nobles are expected to be upright paragons of virtue to show them the way.

Their conflict with Uld is mostly ideological; Ulds are "What if the prosperity gospel got established among medieval trade guilds" and thus treat being poor as a moral failing. The Dindarvans meanwhile are all "Sure, the peasants are helpless babies but that's why you have to take care of them." (Also the Uldish blacksmiths have a faction that keep trying to steal Dindarvan smithing secrets.)

They take it seriously, too; the Dindarvan school of magic that's not about swordsmithing, the Stoneheart guardians, is exclusively made up of failed nobility; folks who showed the sort of moral weakness expect of peasants. So they cave in their chests with loving boulders to replace their hearts to try and become the sort of paragons they're expected to be.

• Locked thread