Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think I was eight or so, I'm not sure I even knew what D&D was, and I was so in love with Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior that I built my own TTRPG. I forced my mom to build a character, then she had to move around this massive grid map I made with three colored markers on the side of a cardboard box, going to a bunch of predetermined locations as dictated by my notebook full of coordinates. I think she had to find a castle in a tree so she could roll the dice a few times to kill an evil wizard. I'm sure it was awful and boring for her, and I can't say firmly but I think I didn't have very much fun either.

My first encounter with a ~real~ RPG was my friend making me slog through AD&D2 character creation. I just wanted to be a cool swashbuckling elf, and I guess that takes two hours. Then my friend poured soda on the DM's head, so the guy left before we could start playing. I biked home and played Link to the Past to completion for like the eighth time that summer.

Finally, in middle school I actually got to play, and in a game that didn't suck major rear end. It was some study hall free time bullshit, and one of my MtG buddies ran a game of Star Wars D6 for just me. I was a Han Solo ripoff, I think. I don't think I screwed up the rules or anything; it was a two hour one-shot someone else ran. Later that week I went to the Gatekeeper and got myselfhad my mom buy MERP instead of my usual comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I played AD&D2 with some cousins, badly, at around ten or so. I recall having to wield the two-handed B-Sword because a "bastard sword" was simply not appropriate.

That's goddamn adorable.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh man, playing a game over chat/IRC. That was my second game. Do people still do that in the age of Skype/Hangouts/roll20?

A lot of people prefer it. For some people it can feel less on-the-spot, you don't have to worry about looking or sounding too goofy if that's something you care about. You can scroll back up to remind yourself of exactly everything that's been happening.

I used to prefer text chat-based RPGs when I played online a lot, but before I mostly dropped out of doing that I came to prefer the things that video chat bring to the table that text can't, like more easily conveyed tone.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is anyone here any good with geography and/or MS Paint?

Here is a map of my WIP fantasy setting. It pretty much sucks; I need at the very least to put give some cool names to the various geographical elements so that it might at least hope to spark the immagination. But I want this to be detailed and sensible, which means I need to develop the cultures that named those elements before extrapolating what those names might be.

That being said: does this make sense from a geographical standpoint? There's supposed to be a warm current that hits the southern part of the two northernmost continents; that's why there's so much chaparral so far north. Apart from that, there should be no more weird climatic features.

It doesn't look weird to me, but I am at best a amateur gorgreoph.

quote:

I would also like to make more detailed maps of the single continents, but I do not trust myself to precisely redraw them again. I did save a precedent version of this map, without the colors, and tried just enlarging them from there: but the end result is a blurry, pixelated mess. Is there a better way?

You're a little hosed on that, but not too much if you really want to put in the work. Grab Photoshop or something like it—GIMP (not from SourceForge), or Paintshop Pro if that's still a thing. To minimize the long-term effort, start as zoomed-in as you think you'll ever want to make it. You'll basically have to recreate your map from there, probably by redrawing/tracing the stuff you already have. After this, you can more easily zoom out to create less detailed maps. Use layers to tag features of certain detail-levels, to keep your bigger zoomed-out maps from getting cluttered. USE LAYERS LIBERALLY.

I'm sure there are ways to keep going with MSPaint, but if you want to get crazy with this you'll want more robust software. A good question at this point is if you really want to get super serious about this.

(PS You might take a look at Campaign Cartographer. It has lots of premade assets for drag-and-drop map creation and might make things a lot easier, and it does layers. It's specifically geared toward making maps with different levels of "campaign zoom.")

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Would those maps made by Effectronica work with Campaign Cartographer? I assume Photoshop and its ilk would have no problems.

You can import stuff into CC. After doing so, it's best to retrace it so that the lines can be better manipulated by the program. I'm not sure if it's part of the base program or a plug-in, but CC does have a "make all these angular lines squiggly so they look like a coast" button somewhere out there, which is nice.

quote:

I made mine basing it on a tutorial I found on Tumblr who seemed to know what it was doing: I think I sort of skipped the part relating to tectonic plaques, which caused me to mess up the mountains. I also helped myself with a couple of websites about biomes. Here are the links, in case you want to check them out:

http://worldbuildingworkshop.tumblr.com/
http://www.thewildclassroom.com/biomes/
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/world_biomes.htm

There's a maps thread or something somewhere around here that you might check out. I'm not sure what's good in it, though, I don't really follow it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

drrockso20 posted:

while we're on the topic of maps, how many people here would play in and/or run a game in this world;

Forgotten Real–

Zurui posted:

So unoriginal, Forgotten Realms did it first.

:argh:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The first Mad Max is 90% Max wanting to retire and then going on vacation. I don't begrudge anyone thinking it's boring as hell.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

unless they're Blind Ferret, ugh. I was tempted to have Lar deSouza sketch something dumb, but "$40 and up" is too rich for what would mainly be novelty.

Have him sketch a written apology for all his years of work.

Edit: And pay him an extra $40 for an additional apology for taking your money.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"She steals…for good!" *whipcrack*

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Angrymog posted:

I got PKed once, and then PKed the fucker right back, but a random dwarf had ninjalooted my 'husk'. Corpse runs are a thing in this - you don't lose your equipped items, but you do drop everything in your pack.

Wow, I might try it out if I pine for the days of EverQuest beta.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, I won't pretend it's inherently interesting, but if you are way into RPG industry history Designers & Dragons is an incredible resource.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I remember that NWN1 ran you through some tutorial stuff and then threw you into the action pretty quickly, and NWN2 having an interminable festival "story" as its tutorial. I think it was also paced like poo poo, because after you leave your starting village you just start picking up party members on even flimsier pretext than NWN1. Including some lady you literally just happen upon down the road and what amounts to "I'm sidekick material" back story spills out of her so, hey, new party member.

What was the NWN1 expansion with Deekin the kobold bard? Undrentide? I liked him.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As long as you realize liking things is dumb, it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TurninTrix posted:

Makes me wonder whatever happened to the Song of Ice and Fire RPG, especially since Green Ronin gave a name for its system and everything. (I forget what it was.)

After the last round of White Wolf layoffs, they hired I think Chuck Wendig to be in charge of the line, in the middle of their error-ridden "the TV show just started" edition rollout. (It really couldn't have been ?Wendig's? fault, but he sure got to catch poo poo for it.) With all the other poo poo he's doing, including writing for Star Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved on.Joseph Carriker. Maybe the Night's Watch book came out not that long ago?a couple years ago. It's been pretty fallow, I think.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 27, 2015

• Locked thread