Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

First RPG I ever played was D&D 4e. Well, by "played," I mean "DMed," because I was the only one willing to DM.

I'd been steeped in D&D for a while--I was one of those kids in high school who owned the 3e books but never actually played--but never ended up getting around to actually playing until grad school. I didn't gently caress up too bad, all told, though I took skill challenges way too rigidly and they weren't fun at all. It was a Dark Sun campaign but it didn't last very long, which is unfortunate, because I love Dark Sun.

That group ended up doing a Pathfinder campaign after that, followed by another 4e campaign that was DMed terribly by one of the players, and then finally a Savage Worlds one that went for almost an entire school year. That was probably the best one. I miss Savage Worlds, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The first game I actually played in was an unfortunately short-lived AD&D 2e Spelljammer campaign played over IRC, and while character creation was a definite slog, at the end I ended up with a tiefling bard (for some reason the DM let me cross over Planescape into Spelljammer) who acted essentially like Space Fantasy Anthony Bourdain. He was mostly in it for the travel and to experience new alien cultures. The DM was really good at that part. I think we maybe rolled twice in the second session because it was mostly about us discovering a community of psionic worm-people (like, tiny worms who all group up in a Worm That Walks kind of way) who were quite hospitable and helped us translate an evil magic tome we found in the first session.

While character creation was awful, combat and general play was surprisingly breezy. I'm not sure if AD&D 2e is just more lightweight than people give it credit for or if the DM was just glossing over the parts that weren't fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Falstaff posted:

First game I played was red box D&D, which my mother ran for me and a couple of my friends when I was 10. She wasn't into RPGs, but this was during the latter days of the satanic panic, and she wasn't sure she wanted me playing the games, but being a fairly smart lady she didn't want to deny me it out-of-hand (given I was pretty enthusiastic). She figured the best way to know whether or not it was an appropriate game was by running it herself.

After two sessions, she decided it was pretty okay, if kind of nerdy. I bugged her about running it some more, but instead she suggested that maybe *I* could be the Gamemaster. The very idea blew my mind.

Your mom seems cool.

Effectronica posted:

No, not really. You have too many mountain ranges that act as convenient barriers and extend to the coasts. A quick primer on mountain formation- all mountains are formed by the joining of plates. High mountains, usually geologically young, coincide directly with plate boundaries- the Rockies, the Himalayas, the Andes, the mountain ranges that run from Turkey to Afghanistan, while older mountains like the Appalachians or Scandinavian Mountains or Urals are the remnants of earlier collisions, and they are generally eroded (In fact, the Scottish Highlands, Atlas and Scandinavian Mountains, and the Appalachians are all part of the same mountain range). These plates in turn are generally aligned with the shape of the continent itself, so mountain ranges tend to run along the continent rather than crossways to it- the main exception being the Urals. Most importantly, the coasts erode away the quickest, so you never see coastal mountains.

This is the kind of stuff that has made me put off drawing the map of my current campaign setting for so long. It isn't because I don't want to think about it--it's because I really, really want to think about it. I want to make that continent make something resembling geographic sense, but I know so little about it that I'm just slowly researching and trying to figure out where things would reasonably be in relation to one another.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm looking for some good game or film soundtracks to fill out my "background music" playlists.

In my current campaign, I'm getting some good mileage out of the Witcher 3 soundtrack, with some Assassin's Creed 1-4 stuff thrown in for good measure. But I'm trying to diversify, especially as we start to push out into other settings (I'd like to have different playlists for each area of the game world they go to, for both background and combat music). It's been tough to find music outside of what I already know about, because any time I try to Google for good tabletop gaming music, it's invariably playlists of over-the-top epic Two Steps from Hell-type stuff, or power metal, or that kind of thing. I'm set for the epic stuff, the music for when poo poo hits the fan. I've got plenty of that.

What I need is more low-key, mostly orchestral/instrumental stuff for "routine" combats or just exploring. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Locked thread