Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
First RPG?

Well, as a certified Old Person, that would be Moldvay Basic back when it was still current, probably in the Summer of 1982, or maybe 1981; I have no idea. I was 7 or 8, and made a Wizard, and we ran through Keep on the Borderlands. You know, as you did in those days. I was hooked. I was so hooked he ran a solo adventure in those dungeons for my wizard the following day.

You see, before this, my friends and I played a game out in our backyard which we innocently called "The Indian Game" for reasons that are now unclear. It consisted of putting together weapons made of plastic toys I'm pretty sure were called "fiddlesticks" and throwing them at/hitting each other. This was pretty much in our wheelhouse.

The DM - the son of my parent's friends - sold me the Basic set because he was moving on to AD&D. A few years later, he sold me those same AD&D books and we gradually introduced the classes/races/etc. into our D&D game. Again, as you did in those days. (Not many people really played AD&D that I can recall. Most played some variation on Basic, and used the content from AD&D as a supplement of sorts.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

anyway, who hasn't seen mad max yet
Me. Two young kids, not enough babysitters. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I just grabbed Pillars of Eternity from g2a.com. What kind of character should I make? I tend to like rogue and fighter sorts.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

RPZip posted:

Fighter, Rogue, Monk, Barbarian. If it influences your choice, there's a companion of every class but Rogue/Monk/Barbarian and they're all very solid choices for getting on the train to murdertown.
Sweet. I will stick with my gnome-thing pirate then!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mechanical Glaive who Masters Weaponry. I can

a) climb
b) stab things

This is a pregen in an investigation-based adventure.
:catstare:

I expect an after action report.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So why isn't there anything nearly this nice for D&D

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plague of Hats posted:

Yeah, I won't pretend it's inherently interesting, but if you are way into RPG industry history Designers & Dragons is an incredible resource.
I remember way too much about the RPG distributor catalogs I used to read through when I was a kid in the early 80's. It was a lot of, "OH! I remember those guys!" for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I have a Silver Ennie. Well, ceramic, but silver painted.

I mean, not as an award. I haven't published poo poo. But I was buddies with the guy who used to make them about 10ish years ago, and he gave me a spare when I visited.

• Locked thread