Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
The first RPG I ever played was Middle-Earth Roleplaying by Iron Crown Enterprises. It was basically a slightly streamlined version of their infamous Rolemaster system.

After playing MERP a couple of times my friends and I, being idiots, decided to "upgrade" to Rolemaster. We were enticed by all the charts and the promise of COMBAT SO REALISTIC YOU CAN FEEL THE IMAGINARY TURTLES YOU WILL INEVITABLY TRIP ON LIKE A MILLION TIMES!

We later moved on to D&D 3e, having firmly established through play that Rolemaster was too complex for us to handle. Since then my tastes in RPGs have followed a pretty clear course towards simpler and simpler systems. Although I have to say that there's something about the critical hit charts in Dungeon Crawl Classics and Hackmaster that speaks to the stupid 15-year-old in me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Speaking of gonzo OSR stuff, there's at least Anomalous Subsurface Environment which is apparently an old school science fantasy module.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread