Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

drrockso20 posted:

There's a ton of stuff like that available for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG actually(one of the reasons it's one of my favorite games in the OSR movement)

Yes, look into Crawljammer, Metal Gods of Ur-Haddad, Crawling Under a Broken Moon, some of the official adventures (Especially Intrigue at the Court of Chaos, Frozen in Time and Peril on the Purple Planet) some stuff Stormlord Publishing is doing and the upcoming Mutant Crawl Classics (they don't have a preview up yet, but they do for an adventure which is most likely for it, Against the Atomic Overlord) for all your weird and awesome retroclone needs.

It's definitely the most vibrant clone or clone-like game. I think if they do another edition they should excise the silly "Thou musteth be familiarith with yon works of Lord Gygax" intro, it gives people the wrong impression. Also the cover, while I like the door on it, could use one of the funkier Doug Kovacs art pieces.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, it could be worse.

You could be playing the Strange in a pre-gen entirely built around Thunder Plains.

I'm really curious about what the material Anthony Pastores is writing to replace this is going to look like.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

One of my favorite things about DCC is that it doesn't cordon off cool poo poo behind barriers that you have to be a certain level to cross. It assumes most people wanting to play the game are tired of fighting goblins. There's a level 1 adventure (Intrigue at the Court of Chaos) that's about bickering chaos gods calling upon the PCs to be their champions. There's another about exploring a Barrier Peaks-esque time-lost installation frozen in a giant glacier, and part of the concept is that the PCs are cavemen, Frozen in Time.

Seriously if you have any interest in old D&D, get over the intro page. Yeah, it's goofy. There are enough grogs who regard Gygax as a religious figure and walk around with the Greyhawk supplement in their breast pocket at all times so the scripture is close to their heart that I totally get the apprehension towards it. But in the end it's dumb goof rather than malicious. I'm not saying it's a perfect game, absolutely not, just that if you've got any interest in the subject matter at all, give it a shot.

Oh and this is more in praise of the community than the game itself, and maybe it's just the people I've played with, maybe I've gotten lucky, but I haven't encountered a single overt, fun ruining grog while playing DCC. All the fun stuff grogs present as examples of bad things? Totally would fly in all the games I've played. One form of "earn your fun" I dig is typical D&D characters getting warped into weirdness through play. I played a typical swordsman who ended up as a Rob Liefeld vigilante type. A monk class I pulled off a blog who became Goku through mastery of the seven sacred martial arts of the cloud temples. Another character who died and became a ghost. I tried to possess another character, failed the roll but the GM ruled that we melded together. I suggested we become some sort of gestalt being so we became a super-character for as long as the two of us could maintain speaking in the collective, as players. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into some guy who only allows Mighty Deeds to be boring trip actions, but until then, I'm having a lot of fun. Someone should make an shonen zine for it or something, I'm sure it would be pretty welcome.

As for the DM screen, it's pretty cool. There's going to be a retail version in a couple months that I believe comes bundled with a mini-adventure and will be on thicker cardstock for $10 but don't quote me on this.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

a slightly anemic Monster selection

DCC wants the monsters to be unique, or at least weird. But sometimes you just don't feel like handcrafting everything. One possible solution for the DCC monster blues (I want to stress for people unfamiliar with the game there totally is a chapter that contains monsters and a generator to help make monsters unique in the book) http://www.rpgnow.com/product/112841/Critters-Creatures--Denizens sadly there's a bunch of dumb charts about running speeds in the back, but those can be easily ignored, and there is a bunch of info for helping to convert monsters from other D&D games.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

mind linking that Monk class, it's entirely possible I already have it saved in my collection of DCC stuff, but I want to be sure of it(I should really get around to finishing that Class List for DCC I was fiddling with a while ago)

I have that book, and personally I found it pretty mediocre, especially since they try to expand the stats on the monster profiles making them annoying to use(also I'll say this while DCC's magical monster selection is rather lacking, and the absence of Were-Creatures and most Undead besides Skeletons and Zombies is ridiculous, they do at least include all the major Monstrous Humanoid types and put some semi-unique twists on a lot of them, and include a couple somewhat more unique types as well)

This is a pretty complete (well it's 2 years old) list of classes for DCC http://noahms456.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-plethora-of-alternate-classraces-for.html I used Jeremy Deram's monk, which is just listed as monk.

I think that book is useful but I did forget to mention that it did have a lot of mundane animals, one thing to consider.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

When putting together a fantasy setting, I would imagine it is natural to take inspiration from the dazzling amount of cultures that populated Earth at some point or another.

But the problem is, what if I am offensive in doing so? Where is the line that, once crossed, will make the setting I want no better then the Thunder Plains? The safe thing to do would be to find someone of that particular descent and ask them, wouldn't it? But that is not always practical, since certain cultural mores can be seen in more than one civilization or period, and how should I handle those?

Do some research. Try to aim for more modern research, perhaps conducted by a member of that culture, or someone who lives in the area that was influenced by them, if you can find such a source. Also, be specific. Instead of "Africa" make your fantasy setting "Mali, during Sundiata Keita's reign". Then again it's also ok to be broad, but if you're going to blend cultures and historical periods, do so purposefully and after reading about them. If you want to talk to somebody about it, it will help to have the basics down. Also keep in mind that everyone's an individual. No one is really a spokesman for their culture, and what might be alright with one person might not be with another.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 21, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd honestly like to try DCC but I think the biggest problem I have is that it seems like you pretty much need at least one physical book at the table, and generally speaking I'm the only person in any of my groups who actually buys books.

Not the case: http://purplesorcerer.com/crawler.php

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

When does it get good? I started at the start with the 70s and was bored as poo poo and eventually gave up after it failed to get better. I bought the whole set of ebooks as a bundle a while back, so if there is a more interesting volume then I might give it another try. Or maybe it's just not to my taste - that's possible, too.

Maybe you just don't care about Judges Guild as much as I do?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I'm surprised more people in here aren't mad that The New Blue Rose is using AGE.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I've played AGE, I pretty much used it for the fanmade Mystara supplement. It's a pretty decent D&D alike, and it has stuff for every class to do. Random rolling is an option, there are others in the book. If it doesn't model Dragon Age accurately, well... That isn't wonderful, but I'm not sure I give a poo poo, because while I enjoy the games their world isn't one I'm particularly interested in playing in, so I'm looking forward to the generic version Green Ronin are putting out. Of course, as my posting in the gated off playpen that is the old school thread can attest, I like D&D.

Queen Fiona posted:

We did establish I'd be the vanguard of any Liberation of Gor, so I guess this means I am a deer?

I'm not sure Gor can be liberated, you might need to nuke it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Ahhh, truly the Americans, believing themselves to be morally superior than other cultures, wishing to attack and destroy those who offend their noble sensibilities and be greeted as liberators.

I guess you guys got over that early on

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

There are also Radiance and Heroes Against Darkness which I have not played, but are supposed to be blends of 3.5 and 4e as well.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

both of those appear to be pretty drat dead in the water in terms of support(Radiance's publisher barely exists and seems to only really support Pathfinder these days, while HAD's creator seems to be focusing exclusively on his RPG meant for kids), kinda feel that invalidates them as good choices(doesn't help that neither of them really have much if anything in the way of fan support either)

Just bringing up their existence. Maybe someone will dig them. Not to mention that they're both complete games, you don't really need a whole game line to just play something. Plus, they're free, so what risk is there?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

complete but incredibly limited in what you can do with them after a point, since I'm fairly sure neither of them include monster creation rules(although I'll admit it's been ages since I read HAD or Radiance), without those included any D&D style system that's not a Retroclone(as monsters are dead simple to create for those, not to mention a huge backlog of compatible sourcebooks for that sort of thing) is fatally flawed in my opinion

HAD at least has monster creation rules, there's a chapter called Building a Monster.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Anyone ever get burnt out about discussing RPGs instead of playing them but they just can't get a group together? I feel like I'm at that point right now.

Kai Tave posted:

I will always remember the RPGPundit for coining the term "venisonocracy."

I feel like cervidocracy would be better. The choice of leadership is made by a living deer after all, not a stew.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think it was ever meant to be some sort of in-your-face HEY CHECK IT OUT IT'S LIKE IF RACISM WAS REVERSED thing, Stolze makes a point of noting that there's no real history of ethnicity-based slavery or genocide going on in the setting, simply that every culture views themselves as the apex of civilization and every other culture as filthy barbarian savages.

Thank god for that because Farnham's Freehold poo poo is just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sounds like Reign needs more art.

• Locked thread