Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

My first real game was 2nd edition with a group of people at my after-school center. We started right off with a lot of weird stuff, particularly access to any race such as the complete book of humaniods. So we had a minotaur wielding a pair of giant scimitars (my sister's character, she was a dritzz fan but also apparently just likes being big and brawny) and myself a teifling mage/priest. I don't actually remember any details of this game because it was quite a while ago beyond the fact that it involved a lot of pointless faffing about with a mysterious empty tower.

My actual first RPG experience was when a friend of mine showed me D&D and tried to convince me to play. For some reason the game's concepts just wouldn't stick and I turned it down. However, for some reason the idea stuck with me and even after the friend had moved away I spent a few years trying to track down the game...except I couldn't actually remember anything about the game. I just had a vague memory of it being sort of like a board game so I just kept looking through toy stores and walmarts hoping I would see something that jogged my memory.

Even after I had played D&D for a while I didn't even realize that this was the game I had been searching for until I read the "example of play" bit from the 2nd edition PHB where the players are tracking a rat-man through a sewer and it clicked with the stuff my old friend had been telling me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, some attributes are extremely important for skills (namely smarts and agility) because they serve as a "ceiling" for skills (being very expensive to raise skills above the attribute). And of course the other attributes are important all on their own (strength determines damage, vigor determines toughness and soak rolls and Spirit helps resist a lot of effects and recover from Shaken).

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That is definitely...detailed.

As far as the biological possibility. It's absolutely possible, women have given birth to as many as 8 live babies at once (although the survival rate would be very low without advanced scientific medical aid or magic). That said, the reason humans tend towards single children at once is that we have long gestation periods and we are (relatively) large animals. Most bigger animals give birth to single young because the gestation time is longer for larger infants and carrying multiples would be an evolutionary disadvantage. That's not even accounting for our extremely long infancy compared to other animals.

Any human-sized animal that gives birth to many young would have to have extremely small, and thus underdeveloped, young. Basically like premature births in humans...and the survival rates on those aren't great. If they developed outside of the body (say in the form of eggs) then that might work.

Socially, it could work any number of ways. They might have a pack mentality where each group of sextuplets must find some way to show dominance over their siblings and the "alpha" sibling inherits. Alternatively there might be some sort of "proving" or "adulthood" ceremony and the first child to complete it is considered to be the "first born" for purpose of inheritance.

Of course, keep in mind that you either end up with most children getting nothing (becoming hobos or dependent on the fortunate sibling) and you're likely to end up with a very high mortality rate...the sheer difficulty of raising 6 infants simultaneously, especially in a pre-modern society, is going to mean that at least some get killed. Or the parents just lack the resources to care for that many at once.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

paradoxGentleman posted:

People who condemn all anime are approximatively 17% worse than people who defend all of it, and I say this as someone who watches exactly one [1] anime.

To bring this back to tabletop games, is there a game that allows you to play monster adventurers better than D&D does? In that game picking a race with a level modifier has a tendency of leaving you behind the curve compared to your human and dwarven companions.

Generally speaking, the best for this would be a game that doesn't feature hard-coded racial abilities to begin with. Instead you start with a baseline (average human) and build your character (and by extension, your race) on as a set of advantages/weaknesses. Obviously that mostly means point buy games like GURPS or BESM.

Of course, a lot depends on what sort of games you like. Personally, I'm not a big fan of most point buy games (BESM is about as numbers heavy as I'm willing to go and it can be broken pretty easily). My preferred game for it would be some flavor of PDQ where races are represented as Qualities and Weaknesses. You could simply represent an Elf as a character with a Quality of Good [+2] Elf (helps you do elfy things) and Poor [-2] Elf (hurts you in areas that elves suck at). The same could be applied to most monstrous characters, like say Good [+2] Minotaur (useful for feats of strength, being scary, headbutting things) and Poor [-2] Minotaur (fitting into small spaces, getting lost easily, fitting in with civilized society. stinky cow farts).

Of course, that assumes you like PDQ and its ilk.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Probably because Baldur's Gate was such a big hit, along with Planescape Torment. I get the impression a lot of the later games were really trying to make that lightning strike again. I also found NWN 2 oddly fun (I also played a warlock as well), despite a lot of obvious flaws. It was certainly a lot more entertaining than the first one.

I recall my favorite of the old D&D games pre-BG were the Dark Sun ones, Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager. I loved those games. Which is especially odd since I had no experience with D&D at the time and the games made absolutely no effort to be accessible to players who didn't know the system. Especially egregious since it was 2nd edition so not only did I have no idea what "2d4" meant but I also had a bunch of terms like THACO and AC that kept going down or up seemingly at random.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It really wasn't until maybe halfway through the game that things picked up at all. I'm not actually certain why I stuck with it so long...I think I just didn't have any other games at the time that I could play easily while working.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Plague of Hats posted:

As long as you realize liking things is dumb, it's okay.

That is the important lesson. Don't enjoy anything, because it is terrible. To be a thing is to have flaws and to have flaws is unforgivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

You know what, I'm happy that I have absolutely no knowledge of Blue Rose, not because it sounds like a bad game but because it means the constant, apparently random, references everyone makes to "magic deer" makes this whole conversation wonderfully surreal.

• Locked thread