Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I played AD&D2 with some cousins, badly, at around ten or so. I recall having to wield the two-handed B-Sword because a "bastard sword" was simply not appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In other news, there was some talk in the Exalted thread about the processes used to plan out a book and have the layout ready before the text is written.

quote:

Of course I can't say anything about your layout-needs without actually seeing it for myself, so I can only reiterate that normally, you make a plan of what pictures and texts you want, allocate space for them in the layout and when everything fits (because your layouters obviously used placeholders), you just need to make small adjustments later. Like if a text gets cut or one last-minute addition comes down the pipe, you have an easier time working it into the project.

The best part of this workflow is, you can have your layouters work on your layout right away, instead of having them wait around until the rest is finished. Finished texts and pictures get continually worked into the layout if you get everything working at peak efficiency. And if you're finished with texts and artworks, ideally your project is almost done with layouting, too!

I wonder, is anybody in the industry actually writing books that way? I'm not completely sure if it would be workable for a bunch of creative types designing a complicated new set of rules, or if there's anybody who knows how. (There certainly isn't the budget for project managers, any more than there is for PR guys.)

Or maybe some companies are already using this process?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm basically available day and night to answer Chuubo questions if you have any! What can I do for you?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ok, here goes: could you give me an example of an application of the Hollow rules as described in the Urban Fantasy genre, at the beginning of the book?

I have sort of understood the rules regarding Pastoral and Gothic genres (even though I doubt they are enough to hold together a game on their own, but I assume this is going to be exanded upon later in the book) and why failing to connect with a living being causes Isolation, but I am not so sure what generates Hollow. It's supposed to happen when you invoke one of the Action XPs but fail to properly feel wonder or actually explore something new, if I am reading this correctly... but if you are not doing those things, why should you invoke those actions in the first place?

Okay, so. An Issue is basically a subplot counter. When the HG hands you your first Issue card, that's basically saying "Okay, it seems like you're starting on this character subplot. Each advance gives you advice on how to progress that plot and keeps you from forgetting about it.

Hollow is the subplot where you're following along with the plot, but... you aren't feeling it. The clues don't mean anything. There's not going to be anything at the end of the rainbow.

The answer to "why would I do that" is pretty much "because you decided on a meta level that you wanted to run that storyline." It also keeps you from getting stuck and not being able to take an XP action in that genre if you're currently short on engagement.

You can check out the Techno Player’s Guide for more details on DriveThru!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Generally it seems like a workable solution to just come out and say "this is ethically troublesome!"

This is what Chuubo does with the man-eating ogres who turn into humans if you befriend them. Solving the problem of "ogres eat people, but turning people into a different species because I don't approve of their behavior is also wrong" is explicitly left as an exercise of the reader.

• Locked thread