Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

D&D 3.5, I was a dumb teenager who loved the idea of roleplaying but lived in something that barely qualifies as a city. Convinced some of my friends to try it out, with them not knowing the rules nor being particularly interested in learning them. Add to this the fact that I was a pretty terrible GM (there was a war against good and evil where I put my edgy self-insert as leader of evil, much to my eternal shame) and you get a pretty embarassing first run.

And yet we had a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, you're from Spokane?

Spokane is the Seat of Spokane County. My native hamlet is only the Seat of a traditional Southern Italian dance.

E: holy poo poo, why is Spokane's crime rate so high

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 1, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is anyone here any good with geography and/or MS Paint?

Here is a map of my WIP fantasy setting. It pretty much sucks; I need at the very least to put give some cool names to the various geographical elements so that it might at least hope to spark the immagination. But I want this to be detailed and sensible, which means I need to develop the cultures that named those elements before extrapolating what those names might be.

That being said: does this make sense from a geographical standpoint? There's supposed to be a warm current that hits the southern part of the two northernmost continents; that's why there's so much chaparral so far north. Apart from that, there should be no more weird climatic features.

I would also like to make more detailed maps of the single continents, but I do not trust myself to precisely redraw them again. I did save a precedent version of this map, without the colors, and tried just enlarging them from there: but the end result is a blurry, pixelated mess. Is there a better way?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Thank you for the suggestions; I have historically been tremendously bad at art (my middle school teacher straight up told me that I had no talent whasoever) but I'll try my hand at a couple of these after checking out some tutorial on youtube. Campaign Cartographrer in particular looks really cool.

I do intend to see this thing through, but I am in no hurry: I have no problem working on it little by little, when I have the time, and see it concluded months or even years from now. I'd rather this be done well rather than quickly.

It was very nice of you to make those enlarged maps for me, even if they are going to completely change the weather since mountains mess with air currents, but at least the central continent's tropical western half should be intact, which is good because more fantasy settings should have dinosaur infested tropical hellholes in them.

(and that territory sandwiched between mountains on the other side would be absolutely perfect for a desert)

I was also planning on having a civilization controlling the mountains of the nort-eastern continent that would basically cockblock trade between north and south and grow rich on the taxes, guides and sherpas necessary to travel their mountains; but the nice thing about being in the early stages of this taks is that I can move the whole civilization one continent westward and do the same thing.

Would those maps made by Effectronica work with Campaign Cartographer? I assume Photoshop and its ilk would have no problems.

Harrow posted:

This is the kind of stuff that has made me put off drawing the map of my current campaign setting for so long. It isn't because I don't want to think about it--it's because I really, really want to think about it. I want to make that continent make something resembling geographic sense, but I know so little about it that I'm just slowly researching and trying to figure out where things would reasonably be in relation to one another.

I made mine basing it on a tutorial I found on Tumblr that seemed to know what it was doing: I think I sort of skipped the part relating to tectonic plaques, which caused me to mess up the mountains. I also helped myself with a couple of websites about biomes. Here are the links, in case you want to check them out:

http://worldbuildingworkshop.tumblr.com/
http://www.thewildclassroom.com/biomes/
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/world_biomes.htm

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Are you saying that the Slenderman is a fake monster?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm saying you're fat.

:(

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Winson_Paine posted:

We go in shifts, it helps.

Real talk, these look pretty sweet.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It wasn't an insult it's just like... that was the joke. Goons are fat. That's the joke. The joke is what it is, and it will be what it will be.

:( :( :(

relax dude, I'm not offended, we're all having a laugh here.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 3, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am reading the opening parts of Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine and I am thoroughly confused.
Is this normal?

e: I feel like the game is trying to communicate rules to me, but I cannot grasp how this information that's being given to me is supposed to translate in the practical act of playing.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 6, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm basically available day and night to answer Chuubo questions if you have any! What can I do for you?

I appreciate the offer. I think I'll read a little more berore bothering you with questions though, in case the answers are in the book.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm basically available day and night to answer Chuubo questions if you have any! What can I do for you?

Ok, here goes: could you give me an example of an application of the Hollow rules as described in the Urban Fantasy genre, at the beginning of the book?

I have sort of understood the rules regarding Pastoral and Gothic genres (even though I doubt they are enough to hold together a game on their own, but I assume this is going to be exanded upon later in the book) and why failing to connect with a living being causes Isolation, but I am not so sure what generates Hollow. It's supposed to happen when you invoke one of the Action XPs but fail to properly feel wonder or actually explore something new, if I am reading this correctly... but if you are not doing those things, why should you invoke those actions in the first place?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have sort of an odd question but bear with me for a second.

Imagine a fantasy race that, upon giving birth, produces four to six younglings at a time.
How would inheritance work? It doesn't make sense for there to be primogeniture, since the firstborn pretty much came up at the same time of his brothers and sisters. But on the other hand it's not feasible to split it amongst the brood, especially for the poorer classes.

At a more basic level, is such a thing even possible? Would it strain the mother's body too much to generate so many children? There are animals that produce much more offspring but I am not sure if the same concept can be applied to humanoid races.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

oriongates posted:

That is definitely...detailed.
:kiddo:

One of my favorite things to do when worldbuilding is take a biological or metaphysical fact and try to work out the effect it would have on society. For example, I imagine at least some reptile civilizations would not consume eggs, since their own children come from eggs and it would sort of gross them out.

Serf posted:

Or if you wanted something even more out there, alter the idea of inheritance. The siblings are a team, like a pack, and they inherit their parents' stuff collectively. They spend their lives together and work together as part of a larger social group like their village or town. When they pair off with other packs (or who knows? Nothing says they only need 2 people to reproduce, could be more), the two packs they come from contribute resources to the new offspring. If you're willing to think of resources less as "cash/food/goods" and more like "services" this could include intangible things like teaching the new pack trade skills or imparting knowledge of the world/magic/science/folklore etc.

This is the idea I like best, mostly beacuse it makes sense without it being too animalistically violent, which is great for civiliation building.

Depending on what they inherited from their parents, each "pack" of siblings make their way into the world, depending on one's particular talents. If four of them inherit a mill, for example, the two strongest ones can pull the grind, the handy one makes repairs and upkeeps the machinery and the scholarly one keeps track of the bookkeeping.

But with such a society I get the feeling that the need for a traditional family unit would not be felt as strongly. Maybe they only mate and stay together long enough for their prole to become self-sufficient, then gift them what is necessary to make their way in the world and go back to their sibling pack.

When the last member of a rich pack dies, I imagine there would be a race for their children to get there to lay claim to their parents' and uncles' riches.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 11, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

People who condemn all anime are approximatively 17% worse than people who defend all of it, and I say this as someone who watches exactly one [1] anime.

To bring this back to tabletop games, is there a game that allows you to play monster adventurers better than D&D does? In that game picking a race with a level modifier has a tendency of leaving you behind the curve compared to your human and dwarven companions.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Someone run a "Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou" game on it, for the love of God.

I do not think I would be comfortable playing such a game, friend Plutonis, but you go right ahead and tell us later how it went.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

When putting together a fantasy setting, I would imagine it is natural to take inspiration from the dazzling amount of cultures that populated Earth at some point or another.

But the problem is, what if I am offensive in doing so? Where is the line that, once crossed, will make the setting I want no better then the Thunder Plains? The safe thing to do would be to find someone of that particular descent and ask them, wouldn't it? But that is not always practical, since certain cultural mores can be seen in more than one civilization or period, and how should I handle those?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What I am trying to make isn't fantasy Egypt or fantasy India (although those are both very nice and interesting ideas) but a whole world from scratch, with all its own different civilizations and cultures. I asked because I do intend to borrow some elements of real life cultures while doing it; but I feel that you advice is just as valid in my situation, so thank you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

That sounds like a super fun assignment, I wish we had stuff like that at my university.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So, I just watched Jurassic World.

The question now isn't wheter I am going to put a Mosasaurus in my campaign the next chance I get, but wheter I am going to call it a whale dragon or a dragon whale.

I feel like the latter is more appropriate since the focus should be on the whale part, since it's a sea monster.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is there any truth to the fact that in the Blue Rose setting the good guys resort to mind control intollerant people?
I assume it's bullshit willfully misintepreted by grognards afraid of change, but it never hurts to ask.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

To bring this back for a second to DA chat, I pretty much agree with Queen Fiona's opinion.

Yes, the Tolkenian trifecta of humans, elves and dwarves has been done to death, undeath and beyond, but at least DA does something with it. I remember getting pretty invested in the politics of the dwarven caste wars and the elven situation; it was a fresh take on something that does not usually come up in fantasy settings.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I just got to his Recommended Reading regarding Blue Rose and I think I am going to give some of them a try.
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/bluerose/rf.htm

Anyone got any recommendations on what should I prioritize?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

Actually, that's something that annoyed me recently, because I was thinking I should figure out what Blue Rose is all about, and then I go to its Kickstarter page and there was basically nothing about its actual setting beyond the inclusiveness posturing. Mind you, that's probably a decent plan for making the right kind of nerds mad, and I assume most of the people donating are already in the know, but it's not something that makes me happy in the general sense.

I mean, it's an RPG! That an RPG doesn't poo poo on the queertocracy is a big thing for me, but other than that, I can run my weird sapphic dystopias in just about anything. I want to know more about your setting than how inclusive it is, because my will as a GM will make anything inclusive - give me more.

This is a very valid criticism, actually. It gives the impression that Blue Rose has nothing to offer apart from a gay-friendly setting; as much as you should not need GM meddling to get something like that, I would have loved to get a better idea of what is going on in Aldis without having to do research on my own. How many new players will not back it because they have no idea what sort of settima they are getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

REIGN had one of the nations of the Empire have a tradition of nudism with no fuss nor sexual undertones whatsoever.

• Locked thread