Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The first RPG I actually owned was Vampire, but I couldn't get anyone to play it in middle school. But I also read Shadowrun novels, having picked one up because the cover depicted an elf firing an assault rifle. My freshman year of high school I made upperclassmen friends who played it, and the rest is history.

That said, I haven't played Shadowrun in a long time, and I'm not really attached to it the way a lot of people are attached to a specific version of a specific game because it was their first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Harrow posted:

I'm looking for some good game or film soundtracks to fill out my "background music" playlists.

In my current campaign, I'm getting some good mileage out of the Witcher 3 soundtrack, with some Assassin's Creed 1-4 stuff thrown in for good measure. But I'm trying to diversify, especially as we start to push out into other settings (I'd like to have different playlists for each area of the game world they go to, for both background and combat music). It's been tough to find music outside of what I already know about, because any time I try to Google for good tabletop gaming music, it's invariably playlists of over-the-top epic Two Steps from Hell-type stuff, or power metal, or that kind of thing. I'm set for the epic stuff, the music for when poo poo hits the fan. I've got plenty of that.

What I need is more low-key, mostly orchestral/instrumental stuff for "routine" combats or just exploring. Anyone have any recommendations?

All of the instrumental music that Brian Eno did during the 70s, including the three David Bowie albums he produced, are my go-to for creepy dungeon music. I used to have a big playlist of that stuff that I would put on while playing Pool of Radiance and other old dungeon crawlers. I also bust these out for anything horror related, especially Lovecraft-related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5o-GTgonDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBprICVPzKA

Man, I'm already back in the slums of Phlan. poo poo poo poo poo poo a pack of wights gently caress

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eno didn't produce the Berlin trilogy, he co-wrote and performed on it (not vocals though).

The producer was Tony Visconti, who had worked with Bowie in the past.

P.S. Low is the best album in the trilogy.
Ah, I was getting everything confused with 1. Outside, when he actually dumped Tony for Brian, if I remember right.

Agreed re:Low.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, since Sorcerers don't get bonus feats, you have zip, zero, nada reason to stay Sorcerer when you can take a level in a prestige class that gives full spellcasting. I believe the only thing you lose out on is your familiar becoming slightly more potent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There is definitely cool stuff under the broad label of OSR. My favourite, honestly, is probably the job that Goblinoid Games did on Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future--Mutant Future reconciles all the old editions of Gamma World into one game that's compatible with Labyrinth Lord. Put robots and laser guns into your D&D game to your heart's content.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mutant City Blues is explicitly a police procedural, but in a world with super-powers. Either way, the GUMSHOE system is worth checking out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I hear DCC is actually pretty good, but I seriously cannot get past that "Halt! If thou desireth not for Erol Otus to cum on thine face, this horseshit is nuncupatory!" thing in the prologue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

A mix of 2 and 3, as well as some starkly negative experiences with the Paizo staff at the time.

Am I remembering wrong, or did somebody as Reynolds point-blank "Why don't you make a Combat book that doesn't actually boost wizards at the expense of fighters" and he replied "Nope!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The whole set as part of a cheap bundle? poo poo, I'm in. I wanted to get those before but they were prohibitively expensive, piecemeal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't play Dragon Age, but I heard the RPG was a great love letter to D&D that actually got 3e-era design right. Having flipped through it, yeah, it seemed stuffed with caster supremacy and pretty boring to play a fighter or rogue type.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The "Magic Deer" thing seems similar to the thing about how you can't play a D&D paladin in REIGN unless it's a female paladin; a distorted rumour that was hotly debated among a circle of people much broader than the number of people who actually read/played the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh god that loving thread.

...The best part was that everyone was so focused on the "men ride side-saddle" paragraph they missed like all the other weird things about the setting like "No one executes people directly, they just put them in cages to starve to death because direct murder leads to angry ghosts"

Also "By the way almost everyone's black, the only white cultures are the cannibal barbarian werewolves and the sea-going nomadic pirates with a fighting style based on weaponized longshoreman's hooks." But then, they only ever -read- that paragraph, so...
Most of them aren't even aware that the world of REIGN is one where the continents are shaped like two giants lying in the ocean, gravity works like a blanket, the sun literally rises and sets...that REIGN is based on ancient understandings of how the world works, not on modern physics and geology and poo poo.

Night10194 posted:

Oh, yeah, I was more just saying a culture that reminds me of Longshoreman X is instantly interesting to me.
The Obotilobitanolonikututano also have not-savate. The apex move is basically the bicycle kick from Mortal Kombat. Being traders without a nation of their own, they're also the only culture that really understands numismatics to the point where they can profit by shifting currency back and forth and predicting how their trading partners will behave based on Gresham's law.

The Truils are like semi-nomadic Native Americans, except white, and also like Picts kind of. Their story hasn't played out like the Indian Wars for a couple reasons, to make a long story short. One is that their lands aren't called the Truil Wastes for nothing, so none of their neighbours can get a political mandate to spend vast resources to thoroughly conquer them. Two, the Truils are real loving scary.

REIGN is cool.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dindavara is definitely not my favourite of the major nations, but I think the most interesting thing to be found there is the friction between their ideology and their reality.

Their philosophy says that they have a manifest destiny to conquer the world in order to save it, because only noble Dindavarans are fit to rule; peasants are like children, and foreigners aren't evil, they're like children who have never had good parents. The Dindavarans who are most likely to drink this Honorable Samurai Kool-Aid are blind fanatics, chickenhawks with something to gain from war, or sheltered nobles who have never had contact with foreigners. So there's a tug of war between those fools and the Dindavarans who are skeptical, worldly, or just pragmatic enough to know that spilling gallons of noble blood into the soil is too high a price to pay for a chunk of the Truil Wastes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

MANDATORY BUTTPLUGS
Now we know why all the men on Heluso and Milonda ride sidesaddle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They really should just have one Ennie Award and present it to Pathfinder every year. It would save a lot of time and I wouldn't have to hear about the Ennies so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You're wrong about that; D&D itself swept the awards in 2009, but every year after that it rarely wins the Gold award in any category, and never in a major one. Sometimes they give a D&D product the Silver award so that they can give the Gold to a Pathfinder one in the same category. They do this too often for it to be coincidence.

They do dole out awards to non-D20, non-fantasy RPGs, sometimes even in the more prominent categories. But generally speaking, Pathfinder wins everything important. The notable exception is Numenera sweeping the awards last year.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 30, 2015

• Locked thread