Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

So Chicago and Mt Rushmore traded places because Chicagoans were sick of having such great weather. Detroit pulled up stakes and floated through the sky to chase New York into the Atlantic. When GenCon decided to move to Niagara Falls due to homophobic laws, the rest of Indianapolis decided to tag along. Tijuana was renamed "Tombstone" after Val Kilmer, Kurt Russel and Bill Paxton were found having a threesome there. The Mississippi was diverted to flow into the Atlantic, presumably in order to fix up the trouble between Georgia and Tennessee over water rights.

Okay, I buy it.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's a JRPG about 1800s America dude.

I like my idea better.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

but, like, how feminist are the other three movies?

Well the apocalypse was seemingly caused by a rampant culture of male violence, so I guess I'd say they are generally pretty feminist. I mean, they were also products of their time, but they certainly come off better than, say, die hard, in terms of how they portray women.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can anydice evaluate success probabilities of opposed rolls? If not, can a different tool do it?

Without going to anydice, I would think you should be able to do it. If not directly, then via a quick transformation.

To compare one roll to another, you can do the first roll minus the second and compare it to zero (or, say, compare it to 3 if you want to win by 3). If anydice doesn't let you subtract rolls, you can replace -1d6 with (1d6-7), for example, to get the same distribution. So to compare 3d8 to 4d6, you could roll 3d8+4d6-28.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

So some people a while back mentioned movement in 2e D&D being different from what came after, and being able to spend your movement out-of-turn in particular. Can anyone tell me how that worked? Could you just follow someone around and always be next to them no matter what?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

This year's Game Chef has begun.

This game chef is weird. Write a game for a non-gamer audience, but it'll still be gamers and game designers who are judging it, so... try to appeal to the same audience you usually try to appeal to, while pretending to appeal to a different one, I guess.

I always had an idea of a game revolving around sign language. I know some ASL, and playing an ASL rpg would be incredibly good practice because you have to be able to describe things in motion and place them spatially and so on. I could probably write it and have it count for this gamechef. But I'm too busy with strike coming out soon plus having a baby soon to take on a new project right now.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not to write for a non-gamer audience, just an audience that you normally wouldn't write for. Like, if you're focused on indie narrative games, try making one for the simulationist crowd, stuff like that.

Ah. I see. I wasn't parsing audiences that finely. I feel like breaking down roleplayers into even smaller categories is like trying to peel your apple peel.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Designers & Dragons is really good and worth way more than $20 alone.
When does it get good? I started at the start with the 70s and was bored as poo poo and eventually gave up after it failed to get better. I bought the whole set of ebooks as a bundle a while back, so if there is a more interesting volume then I might give it another try. Or maybe it's just not to my taste - that's possible, too.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Genius: Rules of the Game.

That show was great. When I said to people who know me "oh, I've been watching a good reality show lately," they looked at me like "Who are you and what did you do with Jim?" When I explained it was Korean and about games and starring a professional Starcraft player, they realised that I was still my old hopelessly nerdy self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Not having sex crap on your tabletop game is the best choice all things considered.

This right here. Yeah, mature folks can handle it in their games, but the market has plenty of immature folks who can't handle it and will tell you loudly how much they can't handle it.

• Locked thread