Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

frankenfreak posted:

Not surprisingly, I'm a failure. :negative:

We can be failure friends! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm saying you're fat.

Oh no you didn'-

Wait, no, you did, and it was dumb.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I didn't know people could actually hate Mad Max. Yeah, Road Warrior's a better movie by far, but those crazy old-school car stunts are a sight to see.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Terrible things happen to women who aren't Tina Turner, and this upsets Max a lot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Any goons looking to meet up at Origins? I'll be there on Friday during the afternoon and evening, though a lot of that will be taken up by the Smithee Awards in the evening.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

East poo poo funcon havers. :argh:

Origins is sadly no great shakes anymore, I mostly go for the Smithee Awards and waffles. That's not to say there isn't fun gaming to be had, but the con has seen bizarre levels of mismanagement in the last decade or so.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

My one-day Origins notes:
  • Ver. Blue Amusement had a booth, strangely enough, and their head translator was there. They'd already sold out of Double Cross by the time I arrived, though they're working on a hardcover / clarification of the main book.
  • Pelgrane was there for a second year in a row, which was good to see. It's interesting to see what game publishers still go to Origins, since not many do...
  • ... unless they're Blind Ferret, ugh. I was tempted to have Lar deSouza sketch something dumb, but "$40 and up" is too rich for what would mainly be novelty.
  • Origins mostly just continues to maintain, unfortunately. It says something that there isn't much in the way of city banners or the like, but there hasn't been any attempt to expand or grow the con in a half-decade to a decade and it shows. The fact that it's in early June is terrible and nobody understands why they moved it to the current date.
  • I attended a "how to publish a game seminar" by Jason Bulmahn, and ended up running into the fan translator of Sword World. Seminars there are anemic, Bulmahn had literally three attendees, about as many at the Lou Zocchi seminar I attended last year, and that's weird considering he designed the second or third best-selling RPG on the planet right now. Crazy.
  • The waffle place was gone! I got vietnamese for dinner, which is traditional for me when I go. But no more waffles.
  • I picked up a physical copy of Monsterhearts, finally.
  • The Smithee Awards are always fantastic and the main reason I go anymore. Standout badfilms included this year were Enter... Zombie King! (zombies + luchadors), The Human Tornado (Dolemite sequel), and Meltdown (Die Hard + City Hunter).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, they're redoing the corebook powers to match the format change in one of the later books, and I think the hardback corebook's going to be the same form factor as the others so they don't line up super-lopsidedly on the shelf. No real rules changes, jut clarifications on stuff/fixing missed errata from the last round.

...I'll probably still get it anyway.

Yeah, it's a lot more work than it sounds like from talking to him, and I let him know it'd be appreciated to have an edited and clarified edition, especially since I was one of the people with the first printing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Len posted:

I debated stopping in at Origins today since I'm already in Columbus but the last time I stopped in on a Saturday there weren't any events that sounded interesting and the vendor hall is a shadow of how it was when I first started going to conventions in 06. After Origins 2010 we decided to just go to Gencon instead and it was the best decision we could have made.

Yeah, it says something that few of the major RPG publishers have a presence there. Not Paizo, not Wizards of the Coast, not Fantasy Flight, not even Onyx Path. Like, the biggest folks are Pelgrane and Cubicle 7, I think? Atlas has one, to be fair, but Atlas' booth always seems more like they're trying sell the contents of their closets than any attempt to market their games. You're loving lucky to find their games at their own booth. AEG didn't even know what I was talking about when I brought up Imperial Archives, but I guess that's because it's POD-only, as it turns out. Still. They didn't know.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's pretty sad that something like PAX, which is primarily a video game convention, has a better tabletop industry presence than Origins. :(

It's better if you're there for board or wargames, but still not fantastic. They basically don't know their audience and have made it a lot more expensive to do open gaming kind of stuff, which has helped drive out a lot of the regular wargame attendees who mainly used it as a means to meet up and run weekend-long spergboards involving thousands of counters. I mean, they're the kind of people who believe there's no overlap between their con and something like Colossalcon (same weekend, up in Sandusky, OH), because tabletop gamers and anime fans don't have any overlap? I guess? :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know Origins has Games on Demand going, so at least there's that?

They do, though they make you pay for it at Origins, it's like $4 per game. And- see, that's what I'm talking about! I'm not saying you can't go to Origins and have a lot of fun, I had a blast for just one day. But it's still a con that, unlike nearly every other convention, forces Games on Demand to charge a fee. What the gently caress? Any other convention is glad to have people just run poo poo to attract attendees, but nope, Origins has to make you pay to play at every chance they can.

And I forgot to go to the auction hall!... oh well, it's not very good. Ohio has strict regulations regarding auctions. You have to hire a licensed auctioneer nowadays, the license costs a lot of time and money to obtain, and as a result getting an auctioneer costs a lot of money and can only be hired for a certain chunk of time as a result. It's nothing Origins can do anything about, but it does a lot to make the auction hall a shadow of what it is at other conventions, since it only runs for one day.

That's not to say you can't go and have a lot of fun with great games and meet some fantastic folks, it's just sad for those of us that remember Origins as the #2 gaming convention in the world to see it run in the most hamfisted and tone-deaf way. It's not terrible, but it could be so much better. It just says a lot that the big pull for me is the Smithee Awards, and that has nothing to do with gaming.

I wish I could put a more positive spin on things, but it's very frustrating to watch.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Are there any great guides for running RPGs online with chat or voice chat? Roll20 and Skype seem to be common options, but I'm thinking of dipping my toes in finally to get some far-flung friends together, and I'm probably going to be organizing things, but I'd like to have some idea of what the best tools are and what the common stumbling blocks are.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

alg posted:

Looking at Savage Worlds. Why does the game have attributes if you roll a D4 for something you aren't trained in? What purpose do attributes serve?

To dictate skill costs (skills are cheap as long as you aren't buying them above a corresponding attribute) and some of them are important in steps of combat resolution (like rolling Spirit to recover from being Shaken).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Len posted:

Is there a RPG system that accurately portrays the world of a police procedural?

Yes. Gumshoe is designed for precisely that sort of thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Someone run a "Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou" game on it, for the love of God.

Pretty sure God's love wouldn't enter into it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

In D&D Dwarves can be up to five feet tall, but if you joke w/ your significant other about how she is within the height range for D&D dwarves she'll scowl at you. Thanks WOTC.

D&D is pathologically obsessed with various flavors of tiny and short people, it's weird.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am currently "playing" Numenera.

Stop, you fool!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I end up doing a surprising amount of fact-checking when doing my Rifts F&F writeups, and it's hilarious how much of actual real-world material presented in them is wrong or badly researched. And about half the time, it wasn't something hard to find out. All it would have required was just some basic reference-checking, even at the time most of these books were written.

Basically: don't presume, do your homework, and if you make a mistake, own up to it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I recently got to speak with Bulmahn and he refers to Pathfinder as "his" game. Which seems natural enough, but it struck me as odd, given it's effectively just a new edition of another game. Though almost every game is derivative of some other at this point, it made me wonder just how original a game has to be to be the "game designer". Bulmahn has written other games, mind, but in Pathfinder's case it feels weird.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess he might honestly believe that it's different enough to be its own game, and namely his own game?

Oh, I have no doubt. That's why it struck me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

When I used prehistoric creatures in my game, I usually gave them names reminiscent of their Latin ones; a dunkleosteus became a dunkle. It felt it kept stuff recognizable without being jarringly so.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Designers & Dragons is really good and worth way more than $20 alone. Those of us who backed it just got the Platinum Appendix, which covers gaming groups, a history of women in gaming, and very recent companies in the RPG industry.

I've been interested in the Untold Story of Japanese Game Development mainly on account of the ongoing drama surrounding that kickstarter, it never seems to end. :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

When does it get good? I started at the start with the 70s and was bored as poo poo and eventually gave up after it failed to get better. I bought the whole set of ebooks as a bundle a while back, so if there is a more interesting volume then I might give it another try. Or maybe it's just not to my taste - that's possible, too.

I dunno what to say, skip to a company or era you find more formative or interesting? It is kind of dry and straightforward. But you have to want to know a lot of inside baseball stuff about RPGs. But ultimately just skip to the companies you find most engaging, you won't be penalized if you don't read up on Midkemia Press or Heritage Models.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 26, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's pretty much why I'm not interested to a money-giving level, to be frank. It reminds me of Spears of Dawn for my reaction of "Can I get the setting without the game?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Queen Fiona posted:

I thought that was every RPG.

The exceptions are HōL, Munchkin d20, and Deluxe Revised Recon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ningyou posted:

Speaking of, why isn't there a HoL 20th Anniversary Prestige Edition :(

How do you improve on HōL, though?

(A stretch goal to add one more page, probably, and that's all.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fantasy Craft is there for those that want 3e with much better design. 13th Age is more of a blending of 3e and 4e with indie sensibilities.

Both have their place depending on your tastes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

yeah the only real weaknesses I'd say Fantasy Craft has is; 1) it's organization is kinda bad(not the worst I've ever seen, but can be annoying and confusing with a book as huge as it is), 2) has an incredibly lacking monster section(at least in terms of premade stuff, although they give you a lot of info about making monsters and NPCs, and there's a widget online for making creatures and NPCs), and 3) ironically enough for a 3rd edition derivative it has a somewhat lacking selection of spells and other magic stuff going by just the core rules

I think the monster and spell selection is fine, given that it has a whole monster design system for GMs to use, and honestly I'm happy with the spell selection not being too robust. It's only a system that two classes really require (sages and prestige classes aside), so not having it take up a third of the book like certain other 3.5 derivatives is a decision I'm quite happy with.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I will always remember the RPGPundit for coining the term "venisonocracy."

By the way, as long as I have it open, here's John Kim's old retort to Pundit's protestrations from back when Blue Rose was originally released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Genius: Rules of the Game.

• Locked thread