Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The first tabletop game I ever "played" was one I made myself, which probably doesn't count. It was set in a sort of weird post-apocalyptic version of my school (middle school, for you Americans, I think? I was about 12-13 at the time) where you had to scrounge supplies from the classrooms and it was more like a CYOA gamebook than anything else.

Ignoring that, the first game I ever "played" was a session of D&D in god-knows-what edition, because the DM never actually showed us any character sheets, we just picked from a list of premades and he relayed the information to us on what we had and what we could do. Our first quest was to protect a magic shop from getting robbed by goblins, it did not go well, and after one abysmal session I was thoroughly disenchanted with the whole idea.

It wasn't until I took part in a Mutants & Masterminds one-shot over IRC, which had been organised here on SA (in BSS) that I actually consider that legitimately playing a tabletop game. After that, I started looking at games more. I played some more M&M over here in TG, a few other different systems, and then D&D 4e came out and I started really getting into that.

The rest is basically a weird, meandering voyage from homebrew to new darling and then back to homebrew again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh man, playing a game over chat/IRC. That was my second game. Do people still do that in the age of Skype/Hangouts/roll20?

I dunno, I dislike playing over-the-internet games which aren't PbP. I like time to think about my actions, and that usually ends up meaning my character falls to the wayside because I'm not "engaging" enough, simply because I'm not constantly trying to talk.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I prefer to make my own :colbert:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

drrockso20 posted:

this looks really neat, mind going into detail about this setting?

I already did! It's for retro pulp crime-fighting adventures in the style of the Shadow, early Batman, and so on and so forth.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

drrockso20 posted:

neat, might have to borrow that for a Golden Age Superheroes game I was planning on running with Hideouts & Hoodlums a superheroes RPG made using the Swords & Wizardry ruleset that's specifically designed to be used for Golden Age superhero shenanigans(and is so far the only Superhero system I've seen to use a class system and actually work)

Huh, that sounds like an interesting system. And sure, go for it! I'm happy to know people are usin' my material.

• Locked thread