Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks!

I made a neon tetra for this week's compixellated challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

^^^ that's pretty great.

I'm still unsure about the mixer brush in PS.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Fabrics, textiles

BG is a photo I took a poop on.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Broke the oil paints out after a forever long hiatus.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Sick. I've been meaning to get a real skull to study but then I always start looking at full size skeletons, and they're just way expensive and often kinda screwy. I've also always wanted to get into oils but the smell, man, the smell. That is a sick fuckin skull.

E. Canine tooth looks off though

loga mira fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 6, 2015

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

That is awesome. My dad was an oil painter but I never managed to pick it up well. Painting is really damned difficult, you're really skilled.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Thanks guys!

Loga: I love the smell of oil paints! Or at least the brand/mediums I'm using. I usually stick with Winsor & Newton stuff and combine it with walnut mediums of some kind. I find the walnut oils to be pretty low odor. However, the varnishes are something I wish an effective alternative would come out for. The damar resin and turpentine combination is pretty potent smelling. Curls your nose hairs.

I'm sure there's something out there I could use, but effort and all that.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

I love the chicken legs on this sassy lady :)

Thank you for cheering my day with pretty naked dude drawing but - unwanted advice alert - it sorta looks like the end of the dong is melting in with the leg.

Eeeeh it's great how you used the texture of the canvas to make the drapery, it looks really good.

I may have looked at a Bauhaus video. I miss the giant 80's hairdos.
Trying to find a good way to represent sound in picture.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Belated spring cleaning, found a thing, a wood burning tool I think it's called in English. They were commonly used in the Soviet Union for art stuff. I played with it for a bit and then wondered if I could use it to make the crudest woodcut ever~

Gonna try again with a more woodcut-y drawing, better process, better paper, polished wood, black ink over a wash.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

A little bit of fabric here.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thank you for cheering my day with pretty naked dude drawing but - unwanted advice alert - it sorta looks like the end of the dong is melting in with the leg.

Welcome, and thank you for the advice :) I kept going between super-eye-catching dong to less obvious and I think you're right I blended the dong a bit much.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Before:

After:

Progress GIF here.

Spent a while cleaning up the edge of the figure but I am still not sure about the font.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:

Actual drawing content.

Beelzebub: You are the second oil painter I have heard recommend walnut oil. Why walnut oil over linseed oil? One oil painter I know (who has been doing it 30-40 years) claims that NOTHING should take the place of linseed oil because of how it ages.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 8, 2015

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Beelzebub: You are the second oil painter I have heard recommend walnut oil. Why walnut oil over linseed oil? One oil painter I know (who has been doing it 30-40 years) claims that NOTHING should take the place of linseed oil because of how it ages.
Basically walnut oil is slightly more prone to cracking compared to linseed, but the most important factors in cracking are whether you use proper fat-over-lean layering (basically making sure you put slower-drying layers on top of quicker-drying ones) and proper storage. Some people make a big deal about it but I don't think you'll see any difference in cracking in your paintings in your lifetime which can be directly attributed to the difference between walnut oil and linseed oil.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Hasty Apology
Sep 1, 2009
I like the texture you're working on, and that eye is quite appealing!

Trying to get acquainted with color, a study from 'June in the Austrian Tyrol'

Perhaps I should try to say less, quicker...

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

I have very limited experience with oil painting, so take nothing I say as gospel. I only use walnut oil and walnut alkyd mediums based on advice from other illustrators. Could you quiz your friend on what medium brands and ratios of additives he/she uses?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

He uses Daniel Smith but agrees that Winsor and Newton is some of the best.

The medium he uses is as follows:

1 part Damar Varnish
1 part stand oil
1 part turpentine

Here is his website.

One of the fastest oil painters I know swears by walnut oil, but I was told again today that stand oil (linseed oil) is superior because it won't crack given longer periods of time. If you want your painting to last 100 years or more, don't use walnut oil. Not sure how much that matters to some people but that is what I was told.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

He uses Daniel Smith...

Awesome, thanks! Does he use anything to speed up drying times? The walnut alkyd medium I use can be dry within 24 hours. I'd love to give linseed a shot if I can curb the standard drying time for oil paints.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Williamsburg is generally linseed, and they're my favorite by a landslide, though they also have a safflower line which I hear is even more pleasing. To each their own, but you haven't lived until you've used Williamsburg's Italian Pink :swoon:.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Some sketches with a model from this morning.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Beelzebub posted:

Awesome, thanks! Does he use anything to speed up drying times? The walnut alkyd medium I use can be dry within 24 hours. I'd love to give linseed a shot if I can curb the standard drying time for oil paints.

Will ask him when I can. I use a hair dryer when I want to dry acrylics. Heat guns are too strong.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

smallmouth posted:

Some sketches with a model from this morning.

Very expressive! How long were these poses?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Very expressive! How long were these poses?

Thanks! Honestly I didn't keep track since it was just me and the model. 15 minutes maybe?

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Once saw a photo of I think a Burmese girl soldier wearing these bright pink slippers/flip flops. Tried to sketch something around the slippers image, came out all wrong. gently caress it, call this a "study"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

What do you guys think?

I like how once you go "gently caress! RRRRAAAAAAAARRRRR" and delete the carpet layers and scrunch stuff up it suddenly looks much better and everything gets quiet.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
I am err.. working on a thing.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

i am harry posted:

I like how once you go "gently caress! RRRRAAAAAAAARRRRR" and delete the carpet layers and scrunch stuff up it suddenly looks much better and everything gets quiet.

Hah. Majority rules I guess. Was more asking about the font though. I am terrible with fonts.

VVV Niiiiiiice! VVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 9, 2015

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

^^ thanks!^^

Titty monster, and residual childhood memories of watching The Wall as I can see now. I wanted to draw two titties and two titty-looking eyes but couldn't decide which eye should be what

loga mira fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 9, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Hee hee I'm not sure whether I wanna pet it or poke it in the eye. I also dig the tendon/bone wing frills on its feet. Something about the shape is just so pleasing.

I'm going in blind, cover for me.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Life drawing. Not sure wtf happened with the scanner and the lower right foot.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009
It's finally warm enough to sketch outside without losing feeling in my fingers, so I figure this is a good time to try doing it daily. Maybe I'll even draw on theme one of these days!

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Nice, reminds me of that guy who could draw cities from memory.

Another suggestive monster. Gonna be starting with something else tomorrow, landscapes maybe or trees

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

sketchbird page

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

loga mira posted:

Nice, reminds me of that guy who could draw cities from memory.

Another suggestive monster. Gonna be starting with something else tomorrow, landscapes maybe or trees

:)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 11, 2015

overboard
Aug 26, 2009
Went to a figure drawing session today. I used to be decent at quick poses after taking a class with a great instructor about 4 years ago. Not so much anymore! I won't post the very short ones but the first few are <5 minutes.

This one must have been an hour. I wasn't doing great with the overall pose and started focusing on a few details

Then got the pen out for some contours.

Sorry about the quality, these were too big for the scanner. Next time I might go for a pen or pencil and try to get a bit finer.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I've been illustrating some stuff I write, it's mostly going to be sketchy quick stuff and emphasized body language rather than lots of detail.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Trying new methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Indigenous life form.

• Locked thread