Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Broke the oil paints out after a forever long hiatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Thanks guys!

Loga: I love the smell of oil paints! Or at least the brand/mediums I'm using. I usually stick with Winsor & Newton stuff and combine it with walnut mediums of some kind. I find the walnut oils to be pretty low odor. However, the varnishes are something I wish an effective alternative would come out for. The damar resin and turpentine combination is pretty potent smelling. Curls your nose hairs.

I'm sure there's something out there I could use, but effort and all that.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

Beelzebub: You are the second oil painter I have heard recommend walnut oil. Why walnut oil over linseed oil? One oil painter I know (who has been doing it 30-40 years) claims that NOTHING should take the place of linseed oil because of how it ages.

I have very limited experience with oil painting, so take nothing I say as gospel. I only use walnut oil and walnut alkyd mediums based on advice from other illustrators. Could you quiz your friend on what medium brands and ratios of additives he/she uses?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

He uses Daniel Smith...

Awesome, thanks! Does he use anything to speed up drying times? The walnut alkyd medium I use can be dry within 24 hours. I'd love to give linseed a shot if I can curb the standard drying time for oil paints.

• Locked thread