Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i've been debating if we should do the part 7 simulread as a seperate thread or as just an internal thread thing

it'd be easier to have discussions if we're not limited to just the week's chapters and i know this fanbase can't keep secrets to save it's loving life, but seeing new people's thoughts would be cool

either way, i'm thinking three volumes a week. i know that's not even but two months feels neat and tidy to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'd be better as different thread because like I said a while back I think this one needs refreshing and it'd get interrupted with JoJolion things and anime stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I think it'd be kinda appropriate to start it on September 25, but I wanna read it noooow

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Count me in for a SBR re-read. I feel I would appreciate the start of Part 7 more now that I’ve read the full thing once. It took me a few chapters to really get into steel ball run, so I would love to get a better handle on things like the first few fights, which felt different to me, even if they were still very jojo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It'd be better as different thread because like I said a while back I think this one needs refreshing and it'd get interrupted with JoJolion things and anime stuff.
you're not wrong but UGH making a new OP. work.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I think it'd be kinda appropriate to start it on September 25, but I wanna read it noooow
If we could stretch to end on January 19th i'd agree but

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

STONE COLD 64 posted:

not nearly homoerotic enough

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MADvxFXWvwE
:nws:

(only NSFW sound-wise; it's just a song)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also call it Steel Ball Read.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd also be 100% down for Steel Ball Read.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'd also be 100% down for Steel Ball Read.

Same, it's been long enough that I don't remember all the details

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
:same:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

steel ball read would be dope. also maybe offer a post in the anime thread about it with super-minimal info to maybe get people interested and just make it clear that the thread for it should be spoiler-free for anything other than what the anime has already shown and what has already been gone over in the thread itself for part 7.

best case scenario it'd be years down the line before we'd have a chance at a part 7 anime anyways so might as well make it clear on that front. i know some are diehard about waiting for the show to come out but i don't care about them, it's the others that would be pretty cool with reading along with a 'fresh start' that i'd want to give the opportunity to.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah I'll do an interest check in the anime thread for it during the weekend when it has more traffic for the new episode. A thread just for it is probably for the best and we can just move any spoiler chat from there to here. I'm thinking starting when Part 5 finishes is the way to go, so still during summer.

And yeah, an entirely new manga thread might be good too if someone wants to do that, if not I'll slowly pick at making one

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Any impressions on the new Part 4 hardcover? I didn’t even know it came out this week and might swing by the store and pick it up tonight if it’s quality.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It especially helps for people who have never read JoJos for us to do Steel Ball Run, since it's a totally new universe, there's not a huge amount of background knowledge needed.

It also makes Hey Ya's first appearance even more of a mystery, which is great.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It especially helps for people who have never read JoJos for us to do Steel Ball Run, since it's a totally new universe, there's not a huge amount of background knowledge needed.

It also makes Hey Ya's first appearance even more of a mystery, which is great.

yeah. that's the big thing, really. having no connection to the previous parts makes it a perfect point for people to dive into and it helps that it's imo one of the tightest and coolest parts in general on its own merits.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

And yeah, an entirely new manga thread might be good too if someone wants to do that, if not I'll slowly pick at making one

I can try to make one tonight after work.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hatty posted:

Any impressions on the new Part 4 hardcover? I didn’t even know it came out this week and might swing by the store and pick it up tonight if it’s quality.
it comes out Thursday 16 over in the UK so if no one's posted about it from the US then, i'll try to remember to.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it comes out Thursday 16 over in the UK so if no one's posted about it from the US then, i'll try to remember to.

The Forbidden Planet in Dublin broke that date then because I saw it for sale last Sunday.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I just realized that today's episode is when Polnareff shows up, and now I regret not asking the anime thread how they think the gangstars are going to figure out the boss' identity from just his face.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I figured he'd be using a voice changer to preserve the reveal. But then they made an allusion to Stardust Crusaders anyway!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Green Tea and Sanctuary, huh? I get Sanctuary, but Green...Tea?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Little disappointed they didn't go with Green Man.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Darko posted:

It's probably a pronunciation choice like with Clash and Crush

edit: the Jojo wiki lists it as Green Day (グリーン・ディ Gurīn Di)

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 10, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

painted into a coroner posted:

The Forbidden Planet in Dublin broke that date then because I saw it for sale last Sunday.

RoI is better than the UK in every way tho

Darko posted:

It sounds like Tea a bit when he says it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I havent watched it yet, does this ep hae the part where Doppios talkin tot he boss on a phone on a plane, and then it cuts to him giving a toy phone back to the kid sitting next to him

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
yes

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
can't believe we're already here. green day and oasis is so loving good.

I forget and I'm lazy, it's Giorno and Mista vs Green Day and Bruno vs Secco yea?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, basically. i don't remember if there's any overlap, but i do remember that oasis splits off to hound after bruno pretty exclusively while the others deal with moldboy.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i just view the virus thing as basically a jumpstart into the process and not the only way for stands to form

this is right... the manga even had an interstitial page saying that the arrow was a "tool" created by humans to "draw out" the potential for stands... not posting it in the anime thread in case the image of the devil's palm counts as a spoiler

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, basically. i don't remember if there's any overlap, but i do remember that oasis splits off to hound after bruno pretty exclusively while the others deal with moldboy.

Secco's initial job is to knock the good guys down so they they molded to death, I forgot how he eventually separated from Cioccolata

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
To address something from the other thread: stands coming from a space virus is fine on it's own, but it's bad in the context of part 5 specifically because of how it ties into the whole kerfluffle about requiem stands having a purpose which is brought up as a Big Deal and then never resolved.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 11, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I can try to make one tonight after work.

I'm gonna work on this right now, gimme thread titles.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

yeah actually they will posted:

this is right... the manga even had an interstitial page saying that the arrow was a "tool" created by humans to "draw out" the potential for stands... not posting it in the anime thread in case the image of the devil's palm counts as a spoiler

Totally forgot about this, this is cool. Its def cool to post in the anime thread if you want, the devils palm isnt distinguishable as anything

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I done did it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889260

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

yeah actually they will posted:

One thing I’ve always wondered about that chapter, namely the stone mask reference, is if he was trying to retcon Kars’s ultimate life form power as being a stand. I actually really like the idea.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering we see all kinds of weird poo poo in the Rohan stories that have nothing to do with stands, I don't think they really need to retcon Kars into having one. He has ridiculous superpowers because the world of Jojo is loving chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So is it kosher to put the kibosh on this thread, then?