Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
:siren: First season of the Anime has been slated for a July 28th release by Warner Bros. PRE-ORDER IT HERE OR HERE :siren:

:siren: Parts 1 through 3 available digitally on your platform of preference. Parts 1 and 3 available physically at your nearest book store or Amazon. :siren:

:siren: Don't Ask Where To Start Reading. Part 1 Is Called That For A Reason. :siren:

Buy it you nerds. The Stardust Crusaders Anime thread is over here.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (From here on referred to as JoJo) is a long running Manga series written and illustrated by Hirohiko Araki. It debuted in late 1986 as a Weekly Shonen Jump title, where it was groundbreaking at the time because it did not feature a main character that was japanese. Regarded by some as a Fist of the North star clone at first, this incredible series quickly finds its own groove and turns into one of the best long running Mangas of all time. It's important to note that it's not one long running story arc since 1986, but rather, it is divided by parts, indicated by a change in main characters.

Part 1: Phantom Blood Volumes 1-5

JoJo: Jonathan Joestar

Set in Victorian England, this part has Jonathan Joestar duking it out with his childhood rival and adoptive brother Dio Brando. It features some small horror elements, lots of punching and Speedwagon.

Part 2: Battle Tendency Volumes 6-12

JoJo: Joseph Joestar

The year is 1938, and Joseph Joestar, Jonathan's grandson, has to investigate the mystery behind a being enclosed in a pillar found in México by Speedwagon. Features lots of scantily clad men, clever antics, Nazis and the most glamorous lady to grace Anime and Manga.

Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Volumes 13-28

JoJo: Jotaro Kujo

Set during the late 1980's, this is the conclusion to the story arcs started in Phantom Blood. Features Jotaro Kujo, the most iconic JoJo (also Joseph's Grandson), in a trip around the world with other Muscular Men to defeat Dio. Also the debut of Stands.

Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable Volumes 29-47

JoJo: Josuke Higashikata

Josuke Higashikata is a normal high school student who happens to have a Stand, this is due to him being the illegitimate son of Joseph Joestar. Features a more laidback approach to story telling, starting out as a whodunit and ending in one of the best finales to a story arc in JoJo.

Part 5: Vento Aureo Volumes 47-63

GioGio: Giorno Giovanna

Italy, 2001. Giorno Giovanna wants to become a gangster in order to fulfill his dream: becoming a "Gangstar". This part features an incredibly strong supporting cast, confusing stands and really fabulous clothing.

Part 6: Stone Ocean Volumes 64-80

JoJo: Jolyne Kujo

Taking place in Port St. Lucie, Florida, this story follows Jotaro's daughter, Jolyne, as she is framed for a DUI murder and ends up in the Green Dolphin Street Prison. Features even more unique Stands, some of the best character design in the series and an ending that is incredibly divisive among the fanbase.

Part 7: Steel Ball Run Volumes 81-104

Zeppeli: Gyro Zeppeli

Set in 1888, Steel Ball Run tells the story of Gyro Zeppeli, a man from the Kingdom of Naples who wishes to win the Steel Ball Run race to grant the freedom of a small child. Also has a JoJo I guess.

Part 8: JoJolion Volumes 105-???

JoJo: Josuke Higashikata

Other JoJo related media:

Videogames:

Famicom Jump I & II: Joseph and Jotaro respectively are main cast members in each game.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Super Famicom): RPG/Adventure game based on Stardust Crusaders.

JoJo's Venture & JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future (CPS3, PS1, Dreamcast, XBLA, PSN): Arcade game based on Stardust Crusaders, features an original design for Middler who wasn't actually on scene in the Manga. Also Joseph from part 2.

Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio: Vento Aureo (PS2): Japan exclusive beat 'em up featuring Part 5.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (PS2): Japan exclusive beat 'em up with lots of fabulous posing. Moderately rare.

Jump Super Stars & Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS): Japan exclusive fighting games featuring both Jotaro and Dio.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle (PS3): Bad fighting game, featuring characters from all 8 parts of the Manga, developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Namco-Bandai. Out in all regions now!

J-Stars Victory VS+: Fighting game featuring characters from various beloved Shonen Jump series such as Tottemo! Luckyman and Gintama. Also features some guys from JoJo or somethin'

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven: An upcoming arena-ish fighting game for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment.

Animation:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (OVA 1993-2000): Animated adaptation of part 3 that came out in two blocks, the first one covering the second half and the second one covering the first half. It's bad but it's worth watching to see a version of part 3 with good animation.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (Film 2007): An adaptation so bad, that not even Araki acknowledges its existence. It doesn't even have speedwagon! It was also never released on DVD, and most likely will never see the light of day ever again.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Anime 2012 - 2013): The best adaptation of JoJo by far, it's currently ongoing and so far it's covered Parts 1 and 2. Here's a link to the archived Anime thread.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (Anime 2014 - 2015): Continuation of the previous, covering Part 3. Here's a link to the current Anime thread, no spoilers!!

Uznare fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Should probably mention part 5's translation is dogshit.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Shukaro posted:

Should probably mention part 5's translation is dogshit.

while this is true. pretty much every part that isn't 3 has a dogshit translation. 4 is the nearest thing to a decent one and only the invincible trio version. 7 is also pretty good most of the way through but about halfway there's some shaky poo poo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Uznare posted:

while this is true. pretty much every part that isn't 3 has a dogshit translation. 4 is the nearest thing to a decent one and only the invincible trio version. 7 is also pretty good most of the way through but about halfway there's some shaky poo poo.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the ones for parts 6-8?

Edit: Wait, does this also count the VIZ translation for 1 and the first volume of 2?

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 1, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Uznare posted:

Well, the other translations actually try to care about what was in the text bubbles originally, so I can give them a pass. :unsmith:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the ones for parts 6-8?

The first couple of volumes of part 6 were pretty badly translated from chinese scans (Same people as part 5!). Jojo project takes over on volume 4 and the translation improves massively but the scans look like rotten rear end.

Part 7 is generally really good but a not so great translator takes over for like 25 chapters about 3/4ths of the way through.

Part 8 has awful translators all around who don't know how to keep jojo's charm at all.

ChaosArgate posted:

Edit: Wait, does this also count the VIZ translation for 1 and the first volume of 2?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Part 6 has been full colour or extremely close to it by JoJo's Coloured Adventure for a long time now. They're doing 5 in colour and black and white too, but there are others working on 5 too without their dog-poo poo typesetting.

As a matter of fact, JJCA posted Aerosmith part 8 like 50 minutes ago and have done parts 4 to 8 this week alone.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
*TN Note: Keikaku means "plan" in english

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have heard there are 8 parts to this series. i have to ask, which of these parts should i read first? part 5 sounds likely given the name, but i just wanted to ask to make sure...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i have heard there are 8 parts to this series. i have to ask, which of these parts should i read first? part 5 sounds likely given the name, but i just wanted to ask to make sure...

Sailor Moon.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Please do not mention those garbage rear end scans ever again. They are awful and should never be read even if the translation is better.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 1, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Read Jorge Joestar first, as a primer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Aurain posted:

Sailor Moon.

this doesn't have as many buff men in it :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Uznare posted:

Please do not mentioned those garbage rear end scans ever again. They are awful and should never be read even if the translation is better.

I'm not sure what scans you're referring to because HQ B+W raws are being used for almost everything JoJo now, other than things you can legally buy which aren't being updated because of that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think he's talking about the color ones. I remember him saying that they were awful in the last thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's right

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The colour rips are just stolen from Shueisha's online site. The colour jobs aren't always good, but there's no issue with scan quality.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Yo Diamond is not Crash hasn't been the official title since they changed it (back) in the ASB trailers or whatever years ago cut that poo poo out :mad:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
The color scans are kind of a novel idea but they're not really worth much more than that. Something about the coloring job on them is super aesthetically displeasing, to the point I'd still rather read the awful muddy scans for parts 5 and 6 than put myself through the ringer.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

LordMune posted:

Yo Diamond is not Crash hasn't been the official title since they changed it (back) in the ASB trailers or whatever years ago cut that poo poo out :mad:

wait gently caress did i forget to remove that. i thought i did when i was updating the op. i blame beef waifu for not telling me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

your description of steel ball run is very rude to johnny

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Add Jump Victory VS for PS3, PS4 as they feature Jonathan and Joseph as playable fighters also it's releasing august I think.
May all your boulders grow moss or whatever...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I actually watched the original OVA relatively recently, and while it cuts out a lot of what makes Jojo good (and Vanilla Ice is just wasted), I'd actually say its a worthwhile experience. The N'Dour and D'Arby episodes are well done, and Dio's World is pretty good even as it deviates from the source material.

That said, the only reason to watch it is for the fights. The plot is reduced to all but a literal footnote, most of the humor is written out, and a lot of the crusaders get shafted. Kakyoin does two things and dies, Iggy does two things and dies, Avdol does basically nothing and dies, and Joseph might as well be a different character.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Yeah well, Johnny is kind of lame.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Johnny is a very rude boy himself, that's what he gets.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Johnny wouldn't help his friend eat poo poo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Johnny wouldn't help his friend eat poo poo.

Kakyoin would.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kakyoin doesn't baby his friends.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any specific examples highlighting why the part 8 translation is apparently bad?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I used to do part 8 and I'm loving awful.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any specific examples highlighting why the part 8 translation is apparently bad?

Uznare is grumpy all the time you can ignore him.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The first volume or so's worth of chapters by Project Bite Me looks like it was "translated" by someone who banged his head on a thesaurus as a child, and also doesn't actually know Japanese.

Uznare posted:

Please do not mention those garbage rear end scans ever again. They are awful and should never be read even if the translation is better.

I disagree. The new translation is good and you should tell your friends and relatives about them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The new color translation is good but the font choice frequently isn't.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Exercu posted:

Yeah well, Johnny is kind of lame.
His legs sure are, that's for sure.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please read this extremely good manga series.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Bad Seafood posted:

The new color translation is good but the font choice frequently isn't.

It isn't good imo, it's passable for amateur translators tho.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
What's up with the 14 words Father Pucci has to say to activate the Green Baby? Is there some connection to something I'm not seeing or is it just a random set of words Araki was really feeling that day?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

What's up with the 14 words Father Pucci has to say to activate the Green Baby? Is there some connection to something I'm not seeing or is it just a random set of words Araki was really feeling that day?

My understanding is they're essentially a mnemnotic trigger for the baby using random unconventional words no one would think of by accident so that it would fuse with Pucci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how many volumes is the hardcover edition of battle tendency expected to be?