Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

El Hefe posted:

It isn't good imo, it's passable for amateur translators tho.
Are we talking about the Part 5 retranslation or something else?

Cause I was under the impression almost anything would be better than the pre-existing Part 5 translation.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

groOvy

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I actually watched the original OVA relatively recently, and while it cuts out a lot of what makes Jojo good (and Vanilla Ice is just wasted), I'd actually say its a worthwhile experience. The N'Dour and D'Arby episodes are well done, and Dio's World is pretty good even as it deviates from the source material.

That said, the only reason to watch it is for the fights. The plot is reduced to all but a literal footnote, most of the humor is written out, and a lot of the crusaders get shafted. Kakyoin does two things and dies, Iggy does two things and dies, Avdol does basically nothing and dies, and Joseph might as well be a different character.

The OVA's are what got me into JoJo proper and the fight with Dio is really good. I also like how they handled his time stopping in that OVA as opposed to what we've seen so far in the current anime. But their is still a couple episodes left so we'll see how the real meat of ZA WARUDO is handled by David.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, we don't know how they're gonna show it after it's revealed what it does.

e: also, from the old thread, what the gently caress, how would the Stone Mask give you a Stand? does it just sometimes decide "oh gently caress you're too strong to be a vampire you get a Stand instead"?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 2, 2015

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its carved from the same meteorite the arrow was

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So instead of putting it on to become a vampire, to get a Stand, you... stab yourself with it? Jam it into an open wound? :psyduck:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the gently caress that works and it makes no sense.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 2, 2015

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the mask stabs your head with pincers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

minoru suzuki posted:

the mask stabs your head with pincers.

Yeah but generally this does not give you a Stand. This just turns you into a vampire.

I think I might have misunderstood and the person in the old thread might have meant it does both sometimes, but even then, I don't think it ever actually does that in the story and a pretty decent number of people get stone masked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Stone Mask doesn't give you a loving Stand, it's just that it appeared in the SBR chapter about Stands as a thing that also gives you powers.

Edit: Jesus loving Christ.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay so I did misunderstand, cool, carry on. I was just wondering if there was some weirdo Jorge Joestar poo poo going on, because the way it was worded on the last page or so of the old thread was really strange. No need to get grumpy over it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like a jojo's bizarre ad venture

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's a disgrace they isn't any news about Jojoniums covering part 4

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i come back from work and you are all rude to johnny joestar, a jojo so cool that he will straight-up kill a man for gyro

also i'd only recommend watching the ova after watching the anime because it's chopped up all to poo poo

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i come back from work and you are all rude to johnny joestar, a jojo so cool that he will straight-up kill a man for gyro

also i'd only recommend watching the ova after watching the anime because it's chopped up all to poo poo

I watched from D'Arby and didn't regret it, since I heard the earlier stuff was kinda crap.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's a disgrace they isn't any news about Jojoniums covering part 4

this but part 3. i only bought the first few paperbacks of SC and don't want to finish if they're bringing over the Jojoniums

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zeruel posted:

I watched from D'Arby and didn't regret it, since I heard the earlier stuff was kinda crap.

the part of the OVA covering Egypt came first, and is better than the part of the OVA covering the early manga by a wide margin. starting at N'Doul is better than at D'arby.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OVA N'Doul has a really good Iggy throw and the dub has a pretty funny reading of Kakyoin getting his eyes slashed.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

OVA dub Wilson Phillips is the best.

Dude sounds like he's really having fun playing a psychologically damaged senator being bossed around by a glampire.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The OVA dub is honestly really, really loving good, and I kinda wish they'd try to get some of the old actors back like the Berserk movies did. OVA dub Dio is loving magnificent.

e: Hahahah holy poo poo, OVA dub Dio works for Telltale Games now (he was Grendel in Wolf Among Us), he's also a beatboxer/DJ named Kid Beyond

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 2, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...honestly, that would probably be one of the best parts of having a Stand that can think independently. You'd have a bro who sprung out from your own soul, meaning that you'll (theoretically) always get along perfectly. :v:
Alternatively, you could get stuck with Cheap Trick.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurora posted:

Uznare is grumpy all the time you can ignore him.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Alternatively, you could get stuck with Cheap Trick.

Superfly is the worst stand in the series hands down. There is no stand worse to have than superfly. At least cheap trick and notorious BIG provide the sweet release of death, while superfly traps you within it forever and is only useful if someone comes to fight you there.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The OVA dub is honestly really, really loving good, and I kinda wish they'd try to get some of the old actors back like the Berserk movies did. OVA dub Dio is loving magnificent.

e: Hahahah holy poo poo, OVA dub Dio works for Telltale Games now (he was Grendel in Wolf Among Us), he's also a beatboxer/DJ named Kid Beyond

I think your memory might be failing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4eAKOY4wdY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've also never seen the "first" part of the OVA, I've only seen from N'Doul on. :v:

Here's an example of how much the OVA dub owns when it's on. Avdol's a little wonky, but I feel like most of that is a fake accent, and Joseph and D'Arby are perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ2giHSp49A

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 2, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I've also never seen the "first" part of the OVA, I've only seen from N'Doul on. :v:

Here's an example of how much the OVA dub owns when it's on. Avdol's a little wonky, but I feel like most of that is a fake accent, and Joseph and D'Arby are perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ2giHSp49A

GOOD

e: minus 1 for no GO AHEAD, MISTER JOESTURR

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 2, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

littleorv posted:

But what if that person has depression and hates themself?

look at these guys spoiling part 6 already

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like Surface is a great example of that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

FirstAidKite posted:

Superfly is the worst stand in the series hands down. There is no stand worse to have than superfly. At least cheap trick and notorious BIG provide the sweet release of death, while superfly traps you within it forever and is only useful if someone comes to fight you there.

You can kill yourself with Superfly, you just have to leave.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

You can kill yourself with Superfly, you just have to leave.

I thought you were still alive, just as a piece of the tower

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

The OVA's are what got me into JoJo proper and the fight with Dio is really good. I also like how they handled his time stopping in that OVA as opposed to what we've seen so far in the current anime. But their is still a couple episodes left so we'll see how the real meat of ZA WARUDO is handled by David.

I'm pretty sure the full ZA WARUDO experience will pick up as the Jojo crew figures out what the stand does.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://alovelyburn.tumblr.com/post/53883744812/meta-deconstructing-dio-jjba

Here's about a million words someone did about why DIO is Dio or something.

Tumblr has a lot of time on their hands. It's not bad, that being said.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurain posted:

http://alovelyburn.tumblr.com/post/53883744812/meta-deconstructing-dio-jjba

Here's about a million words someone did about why DIO is Dio or something.

Tumblr has a lot of time on their hands. It's not bad, that being said.

That was an interesting read.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A lot of it is reading too much into something that I'm pretty sure Araki never really thought too much about. The ship building in Stone Ocean is something I'd never noticed.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I know part 5's translation is rear end. I still read it in English, though, and I feel I got the gist of it. Which parts of it are especially bad? And on that note, is the French translation better? I'm tempted to reread it in another language if it improves dramatically.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurtofan is french, so I imagine s/he'll be able to tell you the quality of the French version.

The parts that are especially bad are going to be the ones that use the worse scans, which currently is everything after Narancia's Aerosmith.

Not to say the JJCA edition is especially good, because I don't know if it is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

Kurtofan is french, so I imagine s/he'll be able to tell you the quality of the French version.

The parts that are especially bad are going to be the ones that use the worse scans, which currently is everything after Narancia's Aerosmith.

Not to say the JJCA edition is especially good, because I don't know if it is.

It's been a while since I reread it, so I can't remember exactly what's good or bad about it, but I think it's ok for the most part. I find it less memorable than the part 1, 2, 3 and 4 translations, they went through several translators while translating Part V. Buccelati is named Buccelati, but his first name is Blono, which might be controversial, but I don't think it comes up that often, unlike Part VII's Jayro.

It's better than the Part VI translation, which left Yare Yare daze untranslated (even though a perfectly fine translation existed since Part 3...)

I haven't checked the new editions of part 1, 2, 3 (done by the same editor that published/is publishing 5, 6, 7), but I'm not sure I'd like them, considering they use Abdul, AC/DC, Wham and co. Haven't been a fan of the Tonkam translations to be honest, with stuff like Gyro becoming Jayro. It's not just the names, it isn't as memorable, the J'ai Lu translators were better though the overall quality of the edition is way superior to what J'ai Lu cranked out.

The crunchyroll subs are pretty close to what was done in the first edition of part 3 in France.

If you're interested in a particular story I can read it and tell you what I think of the translation, don't really have the time to go through the whole of Part V again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm assuming they kept both yare yare daze and yare yare dawa?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

What's up with the 14 words Father Pucci has to say to activate the Green Baby? Is there some connection to something I'm not seeing or is it just a random set of words Araki was really feeling that day?
I have a friend who is big into esoteric mystical poo poo so I showed him the JJBA wiki entry for Dio's Diary but he said it wasn't a reference to anything he knew of. Probably just typical Araki weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FirstAidKite posted:

Doesn't Superfly belong to the tower not the person trapped there? Its pretty good in the sense that it provides good company for the tower.