Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Do we know enough stuff about part 8 to have a real description in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Do we know enough stuff about part 8 to have a real description in the OP?

man with four balls learns how to rock

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

can't really go much deeper than 'the jojo wakes up naked in the ground and has amnesia' without spoiling the plot, so what's there now is probably just as fitting

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is there any real reason why parts 2, 6, and 7 were released in French? Was it for any particular market?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The French are the third-biggest fans of anime after Japan and the US. They might actually beat the US in some cases.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
France in general is a lot more into japanese comic books than the US as a whole. They've been getting stuff since the 80's consistently. I believe only Part 4 doesn't have a complete french translation at the moment. Italy is much the same but if I remember correctly they do have the entire series up to JoJolion. Can't comment on those translations as I do not know either language but they're probably good if they're getting printed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I assumed it was because comics are big in France/Europe

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The French comic book market alone is way more robust than its American counterpart.

IIRC they're also the No. 1 consumer of manga behind Japan itself.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Can't speak for their JoJo but anime stuff is pretty big in Germany too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Anime and manga are enjoyed all over, but the French market specifically dwarfs the American one.

Might even be bigger than the Japanese market but I don't have the numbers. All I know for sure is that Japan, France, and the U.S. constitute the three biggest, and the U.S. is solidly at No. 3 in the pecking order.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oddly, it's quite hard to find anime (other than the obvious ones like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Death Note) anywhere in my area of England. I always like to poke my nose in bookstores to try and see Phantom Blood or SDC and always leave disappointed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

minoru suzuki posted:

is there any real reason why parts 2, 6, and 7 were released in French? Was it for any particular market?

Maybe my post was unclear but all the parts got released/are being released. The manga market is pretty big in France since the nineties, there are a lot of French publishing houses, some independents like Kana (Naruto, Monster, Death Note, Shaman King, Yugioh etc...), some attached to a pre-existing publishing house like Glénat (Dragon Ball, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin etc...). That's a lot of competition and smaller publishing houses kind of have to go for more obscure titles.

That's where J'ai Lu (I Have Read) comes in, they are a publishing house funded in the fifties and decided they wanted some of that manga action. They decided to go for some famous names like Captain Tsubasa (or Olive and Tom as they are known in France) and also stuff popular in Japan, but virtually unknown in France, like Jojo (I only knew of it thanks to the PS1 game, I actually found out Jojo was a manga by browsing the aisles of the manga section of the FNAC). So they started publishing Jojo, with very little marketing, and like many other J'ai Lu manga publications, bombed hard. J'ai Lu stopped publishing Jojo after Part IV (as an aside, it's not uncommon for less established manga publisher to stop publishing a series before it's over, it's very competitive, at least Jojo is divided in parts).
J'ai Lu actually stopped publishing mangas in 2006, a year and a half after they ended their Jojo run. I wonder if that makes my J'ai Lu editions collector.

A couple of years later, Tonkam an independent publisher that generally goes for more cult titles and with a pretty good reputation (I liked their Hikaru no Go publication) picked up the series because of its cult series status.

They've released Golden Wind, Stone Ocean, and it must have done reasonably well with proper marketing, because not only have they picked up Steel Ball Run, but also decided to republish Stardust Crusaders, Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency (in that order). Now they're about to republish Diamond is Unbreakable.

I mean it's not a super popular series, but it's better handled and can thrive a bit more in a pretty competitive market.

Aurain posted:

Oddly, it's quite hard to find anime (other than the obvious ones like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Death Note) anywhere in my area of England. I always like to poke my nose in bookstores to try and see Phantom Blood or SDC and always leave disappointed.

I mainly speak as someone from the region of Paris. The selection can be pretty dire in some French provinces.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Soulcleaver posted:

I have a friend who is big into esoteric mystical poo poo so I showed him the JJBA wiki entry for Dio's Diary but he said it wasn't a reference to anything he knew of. Probably just typical Araki weirdness.

I have a so-called theory that they're to trigger the reborn Dio's memories. The words themselves don't have any real meaning to them or anything, it's just that they're so random and have a weirdly specific order to them (with a couple of words being repeated in a sort of sequence) that it's just really hard to forget. A few of the words or phrases do connect with Dio in weird ways, though. Like, Hydrangea in Victorian flower language means something like "cold-hearted", Via dolorosa is the path that Jesus had to walk with the cross and Dio's Heaven plan requires him to die and rise again, and rhinoceros beetles can be interchangeable with scarab beetle and Egyptian lore if you really felt like stretching things. The individual words don't seem to be the point, though, and it's more like a secret code or something. Notice how the only hint that the Green Baby might have been Dio is its weird attraction to Jolyne's Joestar birthmark. It only seems to recognize Pucci after he says the code, and then all hell breaks loose.

Seeing as one of the major themes of Stone Ocean is memories and how they shape your identity, and given how Pucci is shown as a keeper of memories, it makes the most sense to me, but I'll also accept random Araki weirdness.

On a fun note, I remember reading something about Egyptian funerary rites and it said something about saying a "magic spell" so that the dead would continue to live on with a new body and their identity intact in the afterlife, and the code did remind me of that but I'm not sure Araki would have caught that. Though, given how really into Egyptology Dio was towards the end, I can see that as a sort of inspiration for his so-called code.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 3, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Final OST was uploaded to YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrkIEJQs6w

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJrFqzrgU4

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The DIO end of the album is quite a lot better than the first half, which is just sort of re-hashy of all the rest.

The Kak's dead song is pretty sad.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought I really wanted total silence for time stop, but the hard cuts to low key horror ambientesque music sounds just as effective.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fractured "Stardust Crusaders" theme trying to break through in Final Battle and being drowned out by DIO's sort of gothic-ness is great.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think I know what track they're going to play during Jotaro's self induced cardiac arrest.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The OVA dub is honestly really, really loving good, and I kinda wish they'd try to get some of the old actors back like the Berserk movies did. OVA dub Dio is loving magnificent.

e: Hahahah holy poo poo, OVA dub Dio works for Telltale Games now (he was Grendel in Wolf Among Us), he's also a beatboxer/DJ named Kid Beyond

I agree but every week i get comments like this in my YouTube inbox on a video that uses the OVA dub.

quote:

everyone cares about what language it's in you unappreciative culturally deprived tasteless swine. The english voice acting is loving atrocious. How dare you even put yare yare daze in your description when you're using the english ova?
Get out of my sight before i punch you one thousand times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Any sinister deep sounding DIO is wrong and bad.
Koyasu being neither of those things is why he's so good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ok so I finished part 4 recently, and I've got some questions.
1.) Why isn't Joseph a vampire?
2.) Did they ever find that baby's mom?

I mostly skipped 5 because I couldn't deal with the terrible translation, is there somewhere I could read a good summary of it?

I'm a good ways into part 6 now and am really liking it. I just got through the punishment ward fight and holy poo poo I feel like the violence got turned up a couple notches here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
1) araki doesn't care

2) No.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Does the invisible baby show up ever again?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Ok so I finished part 4 recently, and I've got some questions.
1.) Why isn't Joseph a vampire?
2.) Did they ever find that baby's mom?

I mostly skipped 5 because I couldn't deal with the terrible translation, is there somewhere I could read a good summary of it?

I'm a good ways into part 6 now and am really liking it. I just got through the punishment ward fight and holy poo poo I feel like the violence got turned up a couple notches here.

1) I don't think its ever given a reason but I always figured that Joseph glowing when he gets revived is his Hamon, which is killing Dio's vampire cells

2)No

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

El Hefe posted:

No.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

El Hefe posted:

heh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

GioGio hangs out with a gang of weird looking guys and fights more weird looking guys, one of them dies but doesn't die and then some more of them die and the one who didn't die died for good and then Diavolo has a confusing stand and GioGio and Diavolo fight over the an arrow to make their stand into a requiem stand with a new power and Gold Experience Requiem makes Diavolo die for all eternity. They do all of that because selling drugs to kids is bad.

Also Polnareff becomes a turtle.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aurain posted:

GioGio hangs out with a gang of weird looking guys and fights more weird looking guys, one of them dies but doesn't die and then some more of them die and the one who didn't die died for good and then Diavolo has a confusing stand and GioGio and Diavolo fight over the an arrow to make their stand into a requiem stand with a new power and Gold Experience Requiem makes Diavolo die for all eternity. They do all of that because selling drugs to kids is bad.

Did they go into where the arrows came from at all?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Did they go into where the arrows came from at all?

Made out of a meteorite I believe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, they are crafted from a meteorite.
I think he might have even gone into a midichlorian-esque thing and said stands are like viruses or something?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The meteorite was covered with a sentient bacteria, which explains how the arrow "chooses" who gets a Stand and who just dies.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Do they have anything to do with the Stone Masks? I was beginning to think they might be connected somehow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nah.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Senor Candle posted:

Do they have anything to do with the Stone Masks? I was beginning to think they might be connected somehow.

Lol no

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Aurain posted:

I always feel bad when I think about how Polnareff is stuck as a turtle for the rest of his life

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Doomed to live in a room without a bathroom.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

I always feel bad when I think about how Polnareff is stuck as a turtle for the rest of his life

I would, but considering that he'd be dead if he wasn't, I guess that's for the best.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
We should compile a list of all the rad ideas Araki presented and then suddenly dropped with no explanation. It'd be longer than that psychological analysis of Dio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

We should compile a list of all the rad ideas Araki presented and then suddenly dropped with no explanation. It'd be longer than that psychological analysis of Dio.

* Giorno being in Florida
* Silver Chariot Requiem making people's souls evolve into monsters or something like that
* Stands being able to shrink in the Lovers fight
* Stands as "Ghost Ripple" at the beginning of Part 3