Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Aurain posted:

I am eagerly awaiting finding out what time power JoJolion's final boss will have. I'm struggling to think of what is even viable at this point though.

Maybe something like manipulating things that already happened.

6 Balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bohemian Rhapsody which brings Parts 1-7 to life in Morioh.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Jonathan can be disappointed with everybody but Josuke.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I love how everyone in JJBA is a fashion victim. :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Darko posted:

What you're saying makes no difference at all as to whether it's a random guy or a causal loop.

Sekkira posted:

I'm just arguing from the point that either way, it doesn't take away or add to the story or characters. That it doesn't matter if it was a random dude or Josuke himself.
It matters thematically, for reasons Zen Master brought up.

To look at it another way, consider Josuke's hair. Josuke doesn't know the name of the student who saved his life. He doesn't know his face, where he lives. The only thing he remembers about him is his hair. That ridiculous, out-of-style hair. Since Josuke can't say thank you, he honors that student by wearing his hair the same way, even though it looks ridiculous. When people insult his hair, it makes him angry, because they're insulting his hero.

Josuke saving Josuke or a stranger saving Josuke may be functionally the same in terms of "Here is what happened, here was the end result," but it makes a world of difference if the person Josuke is honoring is just himself. There's nothing "Wrong" with self-preservation, obviously, but it carries different thematic weight.

For another example, how about that new Mad Max movie? Furiosa kills Immortan Joe, but why couldn't it have been Max? It'd be functionally the same either way, wouldn't it? Bad guy's dead, everybody's free. But of course, it carries more narrative weight if it's Furiosa. She's the one who has a history with Joe. With the way Joe treats women, it's fitting that a woman would be his undoing. Three women actually work together to defeat him. But imagine if it'd just been Max. Furiosa and the others probably wouldn't have minded. Originally they just wanted to get away from Joe, so I doubt any of them would feel cheated of their chance at vengeance. All the same, as audience members, we'd probably feel something was off. There'd probably be people complaining that Furiosa didn't do it, and they'd be right to do so because she's the one who brings the most narrative resonance to the table. Just because the outcome is the same in a material terms doesn't mean it makes no difference.

Beside the point, stable time loops are supremely dumb, and that's coming from a dude who likes time travel stories. They make little sense and raise more questions than they answer.

El Hefe posted:

It sucks that every final boss main gimmick its time manipulation in every part starting from 3
To be fair, Bites The Dust was merely a wrinkle in Kira's setup. The main reason he was a threat was due to his bombs.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 4, 2015

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Imagine Gappy on the edge of a cliff.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

El Hefe posted:

It sucks that every final boss main gimmick its time manipulation in every part starting from 3

I actually thought that was pretty cool. And it's not like it's the same time power every time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what if they unsplit josuke

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I thought it was pretty refreshing that the new time master of SBR wasn't the final boss but some dude in a cabin like halfway through the story. Note that I said new, so don't get snippy and bring up the return of The World.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought it was pretty refreshing that the new time master of SBR wasn't the final boss but some dude in a cabin like halfway through the story. Note that I said new, so don't get snippy and bring up the return of The World.

D4C is a time master of sorts. Instead of slowing or stopping time, he can travel to an alternate timeline.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Think of Stand powers like a DVD player.

The World is the pause button, Bites the Dust is rewind, King Crimson is skip scene, Made in Heaven is fast forward, and D4C is switching one DVD for another.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
JJL will end with a retcon stand which will be the record button.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty sure that's a servant ability in Fate so there's even precedent for how it might work.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

JJL will end with a retcon stand which will be the record button.
So Moody Blues?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moody Blues replays events, but doesn't change how they unfolded.

Broseph's talking about recording over things.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Think of Stand powers like a DVD player.

The World is the pause button, Bites the Dust is rewind, King Crimson is skip scene, Made in Heaven is fast forward, and D4C is switching one DVD for another.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Torquemadras posted:

This is all totally true and rad and good.

However, I'm still convinced Araki totally intended to do the timeloop, and changed his mind to the better version later down the road :v:

I'm curious how this scene would (aaaaaah who am I kidding, WILL) play out in the anime. Maybe they'll actually make the mysterious stranger more distinct from Josuke. Or they keep it, just to gently caress with anime viewers as well.

Oh no, I have no idea if Araki had planned it to be a time thing or not. Hell, given how he changes poo poo as he goes I wouldn't be surprised if that was the idea at one point, but regardless I'm glad it didn't turn out that way because I feel it works so much better. It helps cement the themes of the Part more and that's why I enjoy Part 4 as much as I do. The cast is great, the fights are fun and interesting and goofy as all hell. but they all fit and it all really works together under a solid theme as well as the overall plot. The city itself is a character, and that level of attention to detail/themes isn't something a lot of JoJo really has.

I could write way too much about Part 4. It is truly the best and I can't wait for the anime.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 4, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This works too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why wouldn't it still have narrative weight if it's Josuke? He doesn't exactly know who the stranger was, so it's not like babby Josuke would have gotten a different message. It would actually be kind of neat if Josuke was a John Connor-esque living paradox like that, too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Because Josuke getting his values and selfless nature from himself saving his own life rather than a strangeR doing a selfless act that would go on to affect Josuke's outlook on life is way lamer.

Hell, it's possible that act is what caused Josuke's Stand power to manifest in the way it did. Josuke's Stand was trying to manifest at the time and that stranger's kindness might have influenced it's growth in favor of being a healing Stand. Or I'm just totally reading into it way too much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it being a stranger fits in with the idea that morioh is filled with people who are generally fairly kind when it counts, an idea which carries throughout the arc itself and helps point out why kira is so gross and unnatural in the setting. i'm sure some people would absolutely love it to be some dumb time poo poo going on but i honestly prefer it the way it is now.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I have trouble comprehending the Josuke saved himself theory because if Josuke couldn't go back in time to begin with if he didn't save himself.

Time travel hurts my head.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Morioh is a town with a Golden Spirit and the random stranger fits that. This town is full of people that end up using their powerful abilities for good aside from the occasional scamming to get mad cash. Anyone who's not good meets a fate worse than death at the hand of Josuke and all the cool guys become best friends with him. Then this ultimate shitbag who uses his ability to kill women and take their hands shows up is awful and should totally be killed cause gently caress that guy, we don't want this dick in OUR cool town.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Moltrey posted:

Morioh is a town with a Golden Spirit and the random stranger fits that. This town is full of people that end up using their powerful abilities for good aside from the occasional scamming to get mad cash. Anyone who's not good meets a fate worse than death at the hand of Josuke and all the cool guys become best friends with him. Then this ultimate shitbag who uses his ability to kill women and take their hands shows up is awful and should totally be killed cause gently caress that guy, we don't want this dick in OUR cool town.

Part 4 is so good, I didn't like part 5 because the translation is so bad and part 6 is just insane.

Gonna start part 7 now

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I always loved Part 4 because of how fun it was. Seeing the posts from the last page have made me look at it in a different light and make me like it even more.

I always thought the time travelling Joesuke was dumb anyway though

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

El Hefe posted:

Part 4 is so good, I didn't like part 5 because the translation is so bad and part 6 is just insane.

Gonna start part 7 now

Part 7 probably has the most tightly-written plot of any of the parts, and it really shines because of it. There's still a couple things that are "Araki can't figure out his own story", but it's mostly not too bad.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 5, 2015

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

grancheater posted:

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

Because Josuke getting his values and selfless nature from himself saving his own life rather than a strangeR doing a selfless act that would go on to affect Josuke's outlook on life is way lamer.

Hell, it's possible that act is what caused Josuke's Stand power to manifest in the way it did. Josuke's Stand was trying to manifest at the time and that stranger's kindness might have influenced it's growth in favor of being a healing Stand. Or I'm just totally reading into it way too much.

That does make a ton of sense and fits in with the themes of part 4, yeah.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it being a stranger fits in with the idea that morioh is filled with people who are generally fairly kind when it counts, an idea which carries throughout the arc itself and helps point out why kira is so gross and unnatural in the setting. i'm sure some people would absolutely love it to be some dumb time poo poo going on but i honestly prefer it the way it is now.

Yeah, Kira is so antithesis to Morioh that he's done in first by getting run over by a Morioh ambulance, and then as a ghost by the town itself. Or a least a weird, supernatural quirk in the town.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Who Shot Johnny Joestar

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Who didn't shoot Johnny Joestar.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Who didn't shoot Johnny Joestar.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

FirstAidKite posted:

Who Shot Johnny Joestar

http://i.imgur.com/o4qzZQ9.jpg

(edited because wow what an annoying page stretch)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Having just re-read Part 7 I can say with definite certainty Diego Brando (Scary Monsters Edition) is the coolest and best version of Dio.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Having just re-read Part 7 I can say with definite certainty Diego Brando (Scary Monsters Edition) is the coolest and best version of Dio.

I really wish he got an OK ending :smith: Diego Brando had a hard life...
Diego x Hot Pants OTP

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it would have been interesting to see what diego brando would get up to if he'd lived. i feel like he might not have held any real ill will towards johnny.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Diego was still a dio, and as speedwagon will have you all know, dio was born pure evil. He can smell it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I [22m] think I'm being gaslighted by my best friend [17m]'s grandfather [67m]'s eternal archnemesis [120m]... (self.relationships)
Posted by ChariotDude11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Zeruel posted:

I really wish he got an OK ending :smith: Diego Brando had a hard life...
Diego x Hot Pants OTP

To himself he got an OK Ending, he died thinking he defeated Valentine