Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I just noticed today that ADTRW's description has been changed to "Altruistic Duwang Teenagers Right Wrongs."

bless you bad seafood

e: also since we were just talking about Scary Monsters, that volume has been recently colored and put up on Batoto/JJCA if anyone wants to do some good ol DInO re-reading

this is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Blue Nation posted:

I have recently embraced the greatness that is JoJo. Is it weird that I find sex pistols adorable?

Nope, Sex Pistols is both adorable and my favorite stand. I love that they don't work unless they've had lunch :)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just started reading Steel Ball Run and I have one question:

What the heck is going on with Gyro's jaw/chin, is that a beard or what

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DoubleDonut posted:

At first I thought they were tattoos, but I noticed the stick up a little, so I guess they're facial hair? The real answer is they're fabulous and that's all that matters.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Naerasa posted:

Nope, Sex Pistols is both adorable and my favorite stand. I love that they don't work unless they've had lunch :)
The best part of Part 5 is Giorno getting pissy at Mista for not hurrying up but Mista's just "chill dude I gotta cut up this pepperoni for my bullet imps"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dias posted:

How can you not recognize your great-grandson, Jonathan?

josuke?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

if it is a beard, that's disgusting and Gyro can go sit in the bad facial hair corner with Ringo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

How can you not recognize your great-grandson, Jonathan?

Yeah Naruto has a pretty strong resemblance

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Gyro has gold teeth that say GO ! GO ! ZEPPELI and a belt buckle with arrows pointing to his crotch so Gyro is actually extremely good at fashion

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

dogsicle posted:

if it is a beard, that's disgusting and Gyro can go sit in the bad facial hair corner with Ringo

Hating on Gyro AND Ringo in the same post? NO

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

What game is that from?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
J-Stars, don't bother

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Gyro has gold teeth that say GO ! GO ! ZEPPELI

eugh, don't remind me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silver2195 posted:

What game is that from?

It's from a Japanese crossover game.

So a bad game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blue Nation posted:

I have recently embraced the greatness that is JoJo. Is it weird that I find sex pistols adorable?

No they are extremely adorable.

Probably my favorite stand in part 5, even if they are really just a worse version of Emperor. They get by on personality, Emperor doesn't even have a punchghost!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not gonna bring this up in the other thread since that would be akin to trying to weasel in a parting shot after using my authority to end a conversation, but I feel like Stroheim "Works" more than he doesn't, as clumsy as his implementation may be. Ignoring the obvious thematic irony of the Nazis getting clowned by a bunch of "Actual" ultimate lifeforms, which was already brought up in the other thread by other posters, I feel like Stroheim himself is very clearly portrayed as Joseph's ally only out of circumstance - that in essence, the threat posed by the Pillar Men is so great, so all-encompassing, that two men, two factions who should be hated enemies are working together to put a stop to it. And yeah, okay, Stroheim does end up looking a bit heroic by the end of it, fearlessly challenging Cars twice and saving Joseph's life, but I don't feel like that necessarily presents a contradiction. A terrible person (which Stroheim is - before and after his death and rebirth, he sees his own people and others as pawns and shrugs off their deaths) can still do the right thing once in awhile. A Nazi offering a starving child a loaf of bread doesn't make them not a Nazi, but it also doesn't make their offer of bread not an offer of bread. Where Araki falters, and he does, is in the tone: despite all I've written here in defense of his character, it does feel like Araki kinda sorta forgot about all that stuff Stroheim got up to at the start of the story by the time we've reached the climax, but it's also, well, the climax. There was never going to be a good place to address that aspect of his character again without it feeling shoehorned in, especially as he's just a supporting character, so we're left with sort of a lose-lose situation. Honestly, Stroheim dying "Like a proud German soldier" at Stalingrad was probably the most neutral ending possible for the character.

All this to say, while I can understand why he bugs people, he doesn't bug me personally...which may not mean much in the marketplace of ideas, but there you go.

On the other hand, I don't feel like Part 2 lets the Nazis (in general) off the hook as the majority of their contributions to the plot either involve making the situation observably worse or dying en masse to demonstrate how powerful the Pillar Men are. Stroheim himself never wins a single fight, and spends most of his time getting royally owned.

Anyway, wanted to mention this here cause I don't think it's a bad conversation to have about a character who is, admittedly, divisive, but I feel like we're better qualified to handle it without crashing and burning like the anime thread.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 13, 2016

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
J-Stars Victory is awful. I still bought and played it because I have a sickness (it's called Gon, Killua, Yusuke, Hiei, Jonathan, Joseph, Kenshiro and Raoh in the same game).

And speaking games, I watched all the dual specials from Eyes of Heaven, and they're so good. Sex Pistols riding Aerosmith, DIO time stopping Dio, Pucci and DIO holding hands.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

The best part of Part 5 is Giorno getting pissy at Mista for not hurrying up but Mista's just "chill dude I gotta cut up this pepperoni for my bullet imps"

Along with Giorno getting pissy at Mista because oh my god how dare he be a whiny little bitch about pain while he's healing him, you're a gangster, suck it up, my god.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bad Seafood link my and Waffleman's LP threads when you reopen the thread so we have something to talk about that isn't how Stroheim's nazi cyborg dick hosed all of the jews or whatever nonsense people kept trying to instigate

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm waiting for a couple of probations to go through before I unlock it, so I might just leave it chained up until Friday when there's a new episode to talk about.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh sir that's three days away, who am I gonna make fun of until then? Aurain?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You'll make fun of Aurain here and he'll like it. :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait, the picture is from a real game??? I thought it was a mockup for a fanmade dating sim or something

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can only make fun of the Republic of Zheng Fa so much

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

Along with Giorno getting pissy at Mista because oh my god how dare he be a whiny little bitch about pain while he's healing him, you're a gangster, suck it up, my god.
Another Good Part of Part 5

Fugo patching up Mista's gunshot wounds with a loving stapler and Mista's reaction after screaming in pain is "Whoa, this is gonna be a cool scar!"

Those Passione boys are alright

e: for all my wrestling and jojo fans
https://twitter.com/Chris__Coke/status/720095117407862785

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 13, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There seems to be a (won't say surprisingly) large overlap between Jojo and wrestling fans.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't take that gang name seriously since it's shared with a Brazilian telenovela. Although I suppose those have a lot to do with Jojo: cliffhanger still-frames, murder mysteries, a weird obsession with Italy, occasional trips to Arabic countries and overproduced openings.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
True, true. I'm just counting down the days till The New Day to come out dressed as Jotaro, Polnareff and Kakyoin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

I can't take that gang name seriously since it's shared with a Brazilian telenovela. Although I suppose those have a lot to do with Jojo: cliffhanger still-frames, murder mysteries, a weird obsession with Italy, occasional trips to Arabic countries and overproduced openings.

characters dying and being brougbt back within the space of two months, a guy having five kids we've never heard of before...

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

There seems to be a (won't say surprisingly) large overlap between Jojo and wrestling fans.

Wrestling is basically America's anime.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

Shinsuke Nakamura is basically a Jojo character anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Moltrey posted:

True, true. I'm just counting down the days till The New Day to come out dressed as Jotaro, Polnareff and Kakyoin

I feel that Josuke, Okuyasu and Koichi are a better fit, alternatively Bruccellati, Mista and Fugo would be right up their alley imo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Endorph posted:

characters dying and being brougbt back within the space of two months, a guy having five kids we've never heard of before...
Who was the fifth kid?

hoobajoo posted:

Accurate.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

Who was the fifth kid?

Well, he kinda spawns a baby.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dias posted:

Shinsuke Nakamura is basically a Jojo character anyway.
josuke versus okuyasu.gif
https://twitter.com/DailyNakamura/status/719624183362269193

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dias posted:

Well, he kinda spawns a baby.
He is the baby.

Sorta.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

All this to say, while I can understand why he bugs people, he doesn't bug me personally...which may not mean much in the marketplace of ideas, but there you go.

He definitely bugs me personally but he's just a fictional character and as you said, he gets owned a lot and about the only time it's actually bordering on weirdness is the climax of the story and by then I'm kind of whatever about it. I really don't like stories that hinge on nazi poo poo and am pretty sensitive to that but I kinda rate my level of displeasure about that aspect of Pt 2 pretty low on the scale. I'm a little nonplussed when I see people kind of talk about him adoringly but again, there's pretty much no point in getting really worked up about a character in a story that's kinda old and not really the actual focal point in any way. I dislike a handful of other characters and am happy to discuss that when they're brought up but there's never a point in time with JJBA where my distaste for a character or a particular avenue actually hinders my enjoyment.

Maybe if I liked Pt 2 a lot more I'd care? Who knows!

Bad Seafood posted:

:) It's a good thing!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

He is the baby.

Sorta.

This was always the case but now it's just literal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

He definitely bugs me personally but he's just a fictional character and as you said, he gets owned a lot and about the only time it's actually bordering on weirdness is the climax of the story and by then I'm kind of whatever about it. I really don't like stories that hinge on nazi poo poo and am pretty sensitive to that but I kinda rate my level of displeasure about that aspect of Pt 2 pretty low on the scale. I'm a little nonplussed when I see people kind of talk about him adoringly but again, there's pretty much no point in getting really worked up about a character in a story that's kinda old and not really the actual focal point in any way. I dislike a handful of other characters and am happy to discuss that when they're brought up but there's never a point in time with JJBA where my distaste for a character or a particular avenue actually hinders my enjoyment.

Maybe if I liked Pt 2 a lot more I'd care? Who knows!

:) It's a good thing!

I'd be more uncomfortable with Stroheim if I didn't read the guy as kind of a whackjob that just happens to be working with the heroes. As it is, he is part of the initial fuckup, sacrifices himself to establish he's not the unredeemable kind of Nazi, but is still really super into Germany and poo poo, and then gets owned twice with his Superior German Science bullshit and dies in Russia. He's...questionable, but I feel like the Nazi thing is never treated as a good or salvageable thing, he just happens to be on the SS and provide some Jojo assists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

You'll make fun of Aurain here and he'll like it. :colbert:

He needs to step his game up tbth
He's the Gary Platinum of bullying