Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Screw canon the novels are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There are infinite alternate universes so it doesn't even matter if it's canon or not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Condiv posted:

as long as we don't get stand midichlorians from this i'm ok

That already happened in part 5 though

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Aww I want that

I have a pair of Tusk.. Gloves? I've never taken them out of the box but if the box is to believed it has an augmented reality component so I could have baby tusk show up for me on my camera

I think that's the weirdest merch I have, though maybe someday I should get the Moody blues clock

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FirstAidKite posted:

That already happened in part 5 though

i haven't read part 5 tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/arbys/status/854711186348097537

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Condiv posted:

i haven't read part 5 tho

Oh my bad

It's ok though, it's like 1 line or something that never comes up ever again iirc

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is this canon too?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

frank.club posted:

Is this canon too?

No that's gyro

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

No that's gyro

Should've been D'Arby

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But then it wouldn't have been a pun on the yee-ros.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

But then it wouldn't have been a pun on the yee-ros.

[Eating some Arby's golden fries]... the golden ratio

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

these fuckers know meme magic runs the world

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus told me to eat Arby's

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

arbys is really reaching hard lately. first homestuck and now jojo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They did a thing for NieR: Automata so actually they're good for a while unless they pander to Steven Universe fans, which drives them straight into the negative

I would assume this has already happened but I don't know personally, so I'll give them benefit of the doubt

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They also made a cardboard Arsene, which rules.

https://twitter.com/arbys/status/849275376962478082

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They did a thing for NieR: Automata so actually they're good for a while unless they pander to Steven Universe fans, which drives them straight into the negative

lol are you serious

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

lol are you serious

I am the most serious person who ever lived at all times.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Josuke Higashikata posted:

unless they pander to Steven Universe fans

I think they already did that a while back

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PITCH FORKS AT DAWN

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So their marketing strategy is to make paper cutouts of pop culture stuff and put it next to food?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

CJ posted:

So their marketing strategy is to make paper cutouts of pop culture stuff and put it next to food?

sometimes they rearrange the food itself

https://twitter.com/arbys/status/738391547071332352?lang=en

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

CJ posted:

Seems to work.

Granted, their cutouts are actually really, really good quality. That Gyro is amazing.

Haven't eaten there in years so I can't say anything about the food, but at least the twitter is interesting!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arby's twitter and Sonic the Hedgehog twittter must be run by the same person.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh i hate this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Lotta people hate fun huh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's pretty goddamn badass the burger chain is making motherfucking anime references on twitter, as an anime consumer it really makes me want to buy their product.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hey arbys, how long yall's arms huh?

cause you motherfuckers are reachin

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Like, it's surprising how many people I've seen who get mad or otherwise annoyed by the arby's twitter account arts & crafts, not just here but I mean in general

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

CJ posted:

Yeah, it's good

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154902096371812&id=51500251811

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the art is great, the Gyro (not the food item) and the Arsene are tight as hell, all respect to whoever is pumping this out

i just think it's the laziest sales tactic and makes me roll my eyes for some reason.

arbys retire bitch

e: lazy is a bad descriptor, hard work certainly goes into it

cheap or uninspired or more what im going for

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 19, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Moltrey posted:

the art is great, the Gyro (not the food item) and the Arsene are tight as hell, all respect to whoever is pumping this out

i just think it's the laziest sales tactic and makes me roll my eyes for some reason.

arbys retire bitch

e: lazy is a bad descriptor, hard work certainly goes into it

cheap or uninspired or more what im going for

yeah, it's literally just a corporation going 'hey this thing exists right, let's hamfistedly tie it to our product somehow'

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
:shrug: To me it reads like they are just letting them do whatever as long as it relates back to arby's. It isn't like they're making a ton of money by targeting jojo fans specifically or persona 5 fans. It's just a neat thing they're doing and I think it comes across as more sincere since it's just a twitter account run by some people that like doing nerdy arts & crafts poo poo. It gets people talking about them too and gets them exposure, yeah, but that's what all advertising is intended to do, and I think the way they're doing this advertising is cool compared to some other companies' recent attempts at reaching out to people and failing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, it's literally just a corporation going 'hey this thing exists right, let's hamfistedly tie it to our product somehow'

It's not hamfisted

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's not bad in any way really, and it certainly does it's job. It just has the complete opposite effect on me and hey that's fine, I don't even know where an Arby's is.

This JoJo one feels weird because it's not brought on by anything. Like the Arsene one was for Persona 5's launch, they did the Steven Universe one back when that was insanely topical, they did a Goku thing not too long after Dragonball Super

this is just Gyro and a gyro

you're right, it's a weird thing to get picky about but I've never not let the air out of my lungs upon seeing one, I dunno.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

It's not hamfisted
fine, it's roastbeef fisted

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

fine, it's roastbeef fisted

God dammit that's the joke I was trying to set up for!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

*cough*

We're in an age where traditional advertising is going to the shitter but if you can tie already popular stuff people like into your product, you better believe that people are going to like that advertising and think more highly of your product.
Arby's take something with a buzz on the internet, like SU, Persona, NieR or JoJo and they reference it with little real effort and chances are anyone who digs that poo poo is going to think Arby's is cool. I wouldn't say it's low effort, but it's A: Cheap and B: great return on your lesser time investment and it's not high effort.

Wendy's have been doing it too.

And look at the Sonic twitter. People love that twitter feed because of poo poo like this.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/854739876134109184

and the fact it references Sanic or Sonichu sometimes. They've knocked up a pretty simple photoshop, probably took an hour, slapped it up and people think "Yeah, this is funny. Shows they're into the same poo poo as me".
Social media is probably the single most important form of media in our lives despite being so young, and we're really just seeing companies start to pioneer their marketing by taking advantage of the medium. It's interesting.

:goonsay:

I ain't gonna buy Arby's or Wendy's because that poo poo doesn't exist over here afaik, fast food is expensive and poo poo for you and never that tasty. I'm not buying Sonic because those games are balls. It's still interesting to see this poo poo evolve. This advertising doesn't work on me, but I appreciate what they do with it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 19, 2017