Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Let's Go Eat Italian Food! in Part 4 was beautiful, it was a really nice change to have the enemy stand user just be a decent guy who wanted to do what he loved, even the dog was fine in the end!

In general I like the more good-natured tone of this part, the protagonists going out their way to try and save their enemies is really refreshing after Jotaro's murderous rampage in Stardust Crusaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ascalapha odorata posted:

I started typing 'except in part 3 it's polnareff and jojo winning most' then remembered that pol starts poo poo constantly but doesn't finish it nearly so often.

(I actually like kakyoin/polnareff a little more than jotaro so pol's idiocy is endearing).

But yeah, gradually Araki sees the utility of really giving characters a good at-bat or two. Maybe I'm not giving part 3 enough credit there but so often it ends with Jotaro batting cleanup. I'm done with the baseball metaphors thanks

Kakyoin finally gets around to inventing Twenty Meter Radius Emerald Splash and look what happens, he would have been ebtter off not bothering

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

:smith:

bbbbut he figured it out, and that bought Jotaro... something...

Yeah to be fair his sacrificial death was actually pretty pivotal in defeating Dio, he was a far better Zeppeli than Caesar at the very least

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Reading through Vento Aureo, it is funny that Giorno is the son of Dio but actually has the powers of Kars. Sex may be useless but his 'I'll just get out of jail free with my incredibly broadly defined nature powers' spirit lives on ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I'm five volumes into Stone Ocean and it seems really fun so far and reading a Jojo in colour is an absolute pleasure. Anyone else think it was kind of a 'best of' feel to it? Jolyne seems like an amalgamation of Young Joseph and Jotaro, there's alot of action scenes which seem to be one-to-one references to early stories, there's a gambling themed enemy stand user who says ''Good' and the whole thing seems to be about Dio again. I know this is the last arc in the series before the universe reboots so it seems like a bit of a celebration of the classic series before it moves off to greener pastures, is that broadly on point?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought the Egyptian God stand battles in Part 3 were mostly pretty good, it was just the Major Arcana arc where alot of them just seemed to be there to fill out the list. Hanged Man and Justice were pretty good fights, but I think overall that part of the story really would have been better served by having less stand battles and more adventures and screwing around on their journey through Asia, one thing I really liked about Part 4 is the chapter like Let's Go Eat Italian or Visions of Cinderella where there's no real stakes and the characters get to do some comedy or interpersonal drama instead

I guess the Egypt arc did did a pretty good job carving a middle ground really, making half the stand battles themselves into skits or comedy of errors

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNqFhJ6-n0

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm reading Stone Ocean right now and I'm really confused why Dio's flashbacks all seem to take place in broad daylight, did Araki just forget he's a vampire?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

He also completely forgets about the neck scar IIRC, and the ear birthmark but that got forgotten about a long time ago

Maybe he's using The World to freeze the light in place and all their conversations are taking place in anime time

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LordLeckie posted:

Tenore Sax

Huh, good answer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TWIST FIST posted:

and in the end everyone ended up running out on the streets anyway :smith:

It's not like Dio wanted to have a fair fight or anything, given the chance he's have sucker punched Jotaro and killed him before he could even figure out what The World does

No sympathy for Dio

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No CLAMP jokes allowed when we get there :argh:

Echoes is ultimately a neat stand but I just can't get into Koichi as much. Maybe that'll change.

I thought Echoes Act 2 was way better than Act 3. It used to be able to paint the effects of comicbook sound effects onto any surface which is a really smart and Jojo power you could do alot with, then it lost that for the ability to inflict a slow debuff using the power of terrible Japanese puns! Really seemed like a downgrade

Also finished Stone Ocean the other day; really grim seeing the entire cast getting killed basically as an afterthought, Jolyne has the only person even to get a Zepelli-esque moral victory out of it. Weather Report's final attack was a really smart way of turning around Made in Heaven's tremendous bullshit back on itself in a logical way though, I did like that. Now, onto Steel Ball Run!

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 22, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Naerasa posted:

It is really, really difficult to pick a favorite big bad in Jojo. I absolutely love Cars but Kira is just so interesting and Valentine is just so fancy. And DIO.

Basically the easiest answer when asked 'Who is your favorite Jojo Big Bad' is to shrug and say 'Not Diavolo'

I did love Doppio though

EDIT Because I forgot about Pucci, which I somehow always seem to do. To his credit, he's like the only big bad with a decent back story. Maybe if he'd come earlier in the series, I'd have liked him more, but after Dio and Cars and Kira, he didn't have a chance in hell. Only someone with an utterly unclouded heart and love of justice could ever dare hope to compete.

Pucci's problem is he's pretty sober and underspoken guy in a series famous for its insanely fabulous scenery chewing hams. He's actually a pretty effective villain, but he's never going to stick in people's minds the same way as Dio 'meme' Brando or the guy who said 'what a beautiful duwang' with the really sick tie. I think Kars is underrated too though, he's just such an incredible prick, which contrasts with Wamuu's decency and honour really well and once he gets his powerup he's probably as flamboyant as any villain ever is in the series

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULhuewfzw04

Really feeling a lack of love for the most fabulous pagan anti-christ supervampire

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm two volumes into STB and I'm really loving it. So far the only use of a Stand has been to tactically fall off and on a horse and ride a cow's carcass down a hill to conserve stamina, which is very cool

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ultimate Waamu would've been more awesome. :colbert:

Ultimate Wamuu would have respected the overwhelmingly unfair advantage he had over Joseph and the lack of need for further violence and left peacefully, which would have been a really nice resolution for the characters but not the most epic climax. Also do you really wanna see Wamuu exiled into space for all eternity the next 90 years?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some other thoughts on Stone Ocean:

I did think it was pretty funny how Jotaro's final battle against Made in Heaven was an ironic echo of his fight with Dio. Someone else has the temerity to enter his world of stopped time and dodge his spear! His chance to kill Pucci is foiled by ... a barrage of throwing knives!

It was a shame we didn't get to see more of goofy clown Jolyne. The whilst the story generally had an apocalyptic 'the final battle!' tone, Jolyne was really the first Jojo since Joseph to actually be a fuckup who got herself into ridiculous situations; the Goo Goo Dolls and Jail House Lock chapters were really fun fore that and it's a shame there wasn't more of it (though Jolyne's super hardcore fights were really good so I can't really complain too much)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Yeah it did, it made everyone tear each other limb from limb. It was very specific and didn't allow for teamwork. The ground had to be wet and stuff.

It specifically mentions it only blows pre-existing aggression way out of proportion, that's why the guards only start fighting when one of them genuinely irritates the other

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

Why would you ever play as anyone other than Josuke and Okuyasu in EoH when it comes out?

Because JoJo is a rich series with lots of fun characters who all have their unique charms :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

Someone on /a/ managed to fill in the blanks with the EoH character.

Super Speedwagon 3

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't like the design, DIO is all about the loud fashion and accessorising, he wouldn't be caught dead looking like a generic shounen villain

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dio completely mellows out and becomes zen, no longer going "Muda muda" or "Wryyy".

Everyone else freaks and murders him accordingly.

It would be pretty funny if DIO ends up resenting Heaven Dio for ruining his Personal Brand with his calm demeanor and understated clothing choices, he has an image to maintain!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I've got to the part in SBR where Gyro accepts True Man's World into his heart and he's basically started channeling Jotaro and hating women (but I repeat myself), this manga is going to some weird places ...

I really like this take on Dio too, he's still got the same classic charm and narcissism but with real humanity and less megalomania, though the return of Dio classic and [THE WORLD] sounds like it's going to be a ton of fun too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was thinking of him refusing to let Lucy ride with him because 'he swore never to let a woman on his horse'. Quit being a dick dude

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

At least they're honest with themself, that comic was a terrible idea

Finding that meant stumbling across another that I really like, though I can't source it properly at the moment. I'm annoyed that imgur isn't working right now for me so I can't timg it, either.

This is good though, I'm proud Jotaro is pro-plankton gay marriage :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Honor transcends occupations and peer groups.

Checks out

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They really went all out on The World's redesign :effort:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Star Platinum Requiem actually forces the victim to listen to demeaning one liners in a constantly resetting loop until their spirit is completely broken, it's an undervalued but pretty critical part of Jotaro's skillset

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the important part is that we need to start trying to update the Husband Chart to figure out where heaven dio goes

I'd say somewhere between Alessi and the Feng Shui guy ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I started reading and its the worst manga ever Danny no :(

Of all the things DIO does, this ranks somewhere around the middle

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Will never be able to get over how loving weird Jotaro looks in white, it's really not a good look for him. Dude looks like he should be painting your house, not having a Bizarre Adventure.

It works for signifying he has a less dramatic role in the plot of those stories, when he gets his neo-classic look in Stone Ocean it's a good indicator poo poo is going to be going down again

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Dio is now a vampire I guess?
Well alrighty then

Just a heads up, Part I is more of a prologue and pretty short in all. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure really starts in Part II and is where the series gets really good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 1 is good. :colbert:

I agree, but it's kind of it's own thing and not really what people think about when talking about the series. Jonathan is definitely an underated Jojo though, he's such a drat good guy, and people actually call him Jojo!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

While I'd agree it's not usually what people think of, I'd disagree that it's its own thing. It laid down a lot of the thematic and relational foundations for the series and is deeply connected with the overall metanarrative. Moreso than Part 2, I'd argue.

They set up different elements of the series I guess. Phantom Blood obviously has Dio and the Joestar bloodline becoming defenders of the world from evil but Battle Tendency introduces the ridiculous battles and flamboyant protagonists which are also a mainstay of the series too, in contrast even the final battle between Jonathan and Dio looks downright sober compared to nearly anything the other Jojos get up to. I guess you could sat Part I sets up the plot and Part II sets up the tone

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope he voices Diego for reals when the anime comes out in 2035

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Valentine also stole all their nice clothes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I assumed most of the people reading it had already read the manga, the real attraction is her fairly in-depth visual and thematic analysis and the anime's announcement doesn't really alter that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'd be totally down for two weeks of RPS Kid given the hella dramatic way that it ends. It's so good.

RPS kid the the heir to the D'Arby lineage and deserves his two-parter

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm glad we're getting one more anime for people who don't like anime to pretend isn't really anime so they can like it.

What, this is a thing people have actually said? Jojo is the msot anime anime

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

The real question is what would Shrek's stand do

Given his shared hatred of humanity and love of pederasty with another certain character, I can only imagine it would stop time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I finished Steel Ball Run today! Fantastic stuff, I ended up reading through the last five volumes in one sitting. Whilst I thought it lagged a little in the middle the final act is probably the best Jojo has delivered.

Gyro, whilst obviously doomed at birth by his name had a complete, satisfying arc and his final battle against Valentine was incredibly tense and poigant in its own right. If they ever get round to making an anime series for this I hope they use that Roundabout music cue for his final gunslinger staredown at the beach.

Johnny didn't get alot of ridiculous Jojo-esque actions scenes through SBR and even when he won he usually got the poo poo beaten out of him doing so, so Tusk ACT 4 really was incredible; the ultimate expression of 'Spin' prying open Valentine's AT field to do the 'ora ora' thing is probably one of the best finishers in the whole series. Valentine, aside from that time he tried to rape Lucy because ???, was a nice inversion of the typical DIO-style villain in that he's trying to attain ~ultimate power~ for a genuinely altruistic reason whilst remaining a resolute enemy, it does feel kinda a shame he couldn't just walk away given Johnny genuinely was willing to let bygones be bygones. The last minute reintroduction of Dio and [The World] was really well done too, the build-up to his reveal gave enough clues and callbacks to Stardust Crusaders that smart readers had an idea of what was coming and then the battle itself was fantastic and a great excuse to tie in the racing-aspect again for the finale. And even though Johnny lost, it did feel fitting that Lucy got the final hit in with Dio's own weaponised body after her's was turned into walking plot device for a good portion of the story.

So yeah, fantastic stuff, easily one of the best arcs all in all up there with Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable