Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any specific examples highlighting why the part 8 translation is apparently bad?

Uznare is grumpy all the time you can ignore him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Valentine is more like Sliders

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's already SPTW in Part 4.

I'm pretty sure Araki's artstyle is what changed, not Star Platinum. Jotaro looks a lot prettier and less cylinderhead in Part 6.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurain posted:

It's not. It's very clearly defined in Stone Ocean.

Uhhh yeah pretty sure you're just bullshitting at this point. It both doesn't really look that different and can do the same poo poo, so...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

Looks the same to me :shrug:, Only thing I could find is that SPTW looks more slender which is probably from the art style evolution

No but you see it's called STAR PLATINUM THE WORLD by a stupid rear end volume endpage so therefore

Please disregard that Jotaro said Star Platinum The World in Part 4 so my argument makes sense

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

BaDandy posted:

Doesn't Jotaro usually say "Star Platinum The World" when he wants to specifically pull out a time stop and not just ghost punch or am I misremembering things?

No Star Platinum The World is a different stand get your poo poo straight.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

"Durability" confuses a lot of people because it's a very ambiguous translation of 持続力, but I personally feel it would be more appropriate to call it something like "continuation" (the Jojo Project scans used this), or "duration". It states how long a stand or certain effects of a stand can remain active, so Durability A on original Star Platinum is a measure of how long Jotaro can keep Star Platinum out and punching stuff, while Durability E on Star Platinum - The World is a measure of how long Jotaro can use its effect to stop time (not very long).

So, more accurately, that endpage is describing Star Platinum's "The World" ability, rather than describing the stand as a whole, leading to everyone becoming super confused about Star Platinum post Starudust Crusaders. Cool.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

Yes, depending on how Araki is feeling at the time, a stand's durability can apply to either the stand as a whole or to just its "special effects". It's very confusing.
e: It's obviously not describing just the "The World" ability since the time stop itself obviously doesn't have any power or precision to speak of.

No, I think it is, because it allows the user to do a lot of poo poo to the opponent. It's basically overpowered.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Also The World itself doesn't have an E for durability so I really don't think that it matches up with the idea that it's describing Star Platinum post Part 4 as a whole.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

DIO could stop time for a lot longer than Jotaro could, and it's implied that if he managed to heal further, he'd eventually figure out how to stop time pretty much forever. Also, power seems to describe the physical strength a stand has rather than its ability to break stuff, hence why The Hand and Cream are rated as having B-level power despite theoretically being able to annihilate anything within their range. "Allowing the user to do a lot of poo poo" alone wouldn't warrant rank-A power and precision. I mean, indiscriminately stopping time for everything around you is the opposite of precise.

So you're saying that being able to stop time and throw a knife like Dio did to Joseph isn't powerful or precise? Okay...?

I mean you can kill literally anybody if you're not loving around. That's powerful.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying. The stats are saying that Star Platinum is powerful enough to bend the iron bars of a jail cell and precise enough to conduct brain surgery with mechanical precision, neither of which you can do with just time stop and not the physical capabilities of the stand itself. Now stop being dense.

Nah, it makes way more sense if it's describing the ability.

It makes way more sense than somehow Star Platinum using The World makes it a different stand entirely.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

On some random looking around on the jojo wikia, I found out something I had forgotten, that Killer Queen's extra abilities are all given stats, so i'm inclined to believe that SPTW is the stats for just the ability

Are you sure Kira doesn't just have three stands?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kater posted:

I've been slowly catching up with this season after kinda just losing interest after they get to Egypt and a whole new band of minions is introduced, and what the gently caress at this guy's super powered video game skills. Like, I just can't. It's a loving two part episode too. There's going to be at least one more take on 'can press a button really fast'. Bring back the dog. I will watch him scream and run away for half a season over this garbage.

Source your quotes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Isn't the SRB universe the rebooted original universe?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

No, the SRB universe is just a reimagined setting. SBR was originally going to be its own thing instead of part 7 of Jojo.

I'm talking about the SRB universe, not SBR, idiot.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The gently caress are you talking about.

Araki told me all about his idea for a different universe.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's like that Futurama episode where Fry goes forward in time to go back in time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

Josuke's fine.

The gently caress did you say about my hair?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Okay, I'm a little confused about Hamon during the Dio fight now. Does Joseph's use of Hamon when he has Dio wrapped in Hermit Purple not actually reach Dio before Dio goes "haha your stand is lovely *flexes, busts out*"? That's the only reason I can think of because otherwise there'd be no reason for Dio to be afraid of punching Joseph's hamon-hermit-purple body armor.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Zeruel posted:

I guess he hadn't began to channel the Hamon.

Yeah, everyone was always saying "oh hamon is useless versus Dio" though, I thought.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Guessing Josefumi is the sibling of whoever Jotaro's dad married in this universe. Man, he looks a lot like Josuke.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Wait yeah where would Josefumi even be on the family tree? Another hidden child like with Kyo Nijimura?

He's not. Kujo isn't part of the Joestar family tree this go-round.

e: I missed the birthmark on Josefumi somehow. :psyduck:

Aurora fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 28, 2015

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I was thinking it seemed obvious it'd be revealed Johnny was the other half of Josuke, but that's clearly not the case. But...whatever did happen to Johnny's remains?

I'm sure Lucy and friends buried him or whatever. They were shown walking up to his body.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That's a bad picture of gappy to use

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's a weird thing that was caused by what Pucci is doing.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jesus, One Piece had only been going for about a year when Stone Ocean was going on.

Steel Ball Run lasted a long time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

steel ball run switched to a monthly magazine a little ways in, so that explains that. only 12 chapters a year as opposed to 52.

Yeah, I can't imagine what it must have been like for Japan to have to wait over a year for the Valentine fight to be over.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I will buy Eyes of Heaven and hell, I'll enjoy it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You should give me one

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jolyne turned into a punk because she was in goddamn prison. Josuke and Jotaro both lead very different lives.

Jolyne is a stereotypical teenage girl before she goes to jail

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

minoru suzuki posted:

i want to see holly joestar visits morioh now.

Jojolion is for you!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

None of this money goes to araki or manga or anime, stop buying lovely video games because you want more lovely jojo games brought over

You can't stop me.

Being broke will stop me.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Parts 1-3 sort of work on their owns as a conclusive story but it would suck to not get Part 4 :(

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 5 and 6 both suffer from some third act fatigue in my opinion.

Start strong, stay strong, end weak.

The only real complaint I have is that the final fight kind of sucks once Pucci gets powered up. Nobody can touch him until Emporio owns him at the end so it just feels like a really weak ending.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurain posted:

The fact that Pucci gets upgraded to be ridiculously powerful and actually is ridiculously powerful is great. It happens way too often in basically everything where the villain becomes godly but gets squashed anyway.

There's also the fact that despite having Made in Heaven, Pucci still has to think about how to dismantle the Joestar group because he would still lose if he didn't do it properly. He straight up says to Jotaro before he kills him that Star Platinum would have had him if he hadn't attacked Jolyne first and the stuff with how he uses Annasui. The Joestars getting out Joestar'd is good.

The problem is he becomes literally untouchable as soon as he gets powered up. Even Kira and Dio got hit when they were at their strongest before losing. Pucci just godmodes himself.

This is probably the same problem I have with the Diavolo fight.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

Pucci is a pretty well written chracter for JoJo, you get a lot of flashbacks showing why he's damagaed how he is.Araki's chioce to have the Joestar bloodline lose finally was great for the series.

I want my favorite Jojo to have a good final fight :(

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

when i'm employed i'm going to buy eyes of heaven and send it to beef

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CURE FREE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I can't wait until Kit Kat sponsors Part 3 and Jotaro's battle cry is gimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimme a break