Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm in agreement that Gold Experience more or less makes sense most of the time though. He creates living things that return to their owners, and the stuff he ends up doing is from logical conclusions he makes. The brick's a poison brick and so it's a poison snake. He fights a guy that turns living things into objects and realizes it's essentially the opposite of his power, so he too can turn a rock into his eyeball. He makes a plant that returns to its owner by growing more and more (I sorta forget how they beat White Album but it had to do with that. I think.) It doesn't seem like such a huge jump in logic to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I can’t remember how they beat White Album either. I guess that will add an element of surprise when the anime gets to it.

I forget how a lot of part 5 fights go really. The one thing that stuck out to me most though was Ghiaccio and jesus christ, the anime could not have picked a better voice for him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

All the bad things that happen to Rohan are because he's such an rear end in a top hat and he receives no help because he's an rear end in a top hat. But he's our rear end in a top hat dammit.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Johnathan fighting... One of the reincarnated knights underwater and beating him by lifting up a rock and eating a bubble like Sonic the Hedgehog is probably my favorite moment for him. That's still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Joseph's opening scene in modern day, where he gets robbed by a kid but still helps him out because gently caress The Police did such a good job at setting the tone of part 2 that I will always love it. When I first watched, I could barely get through part 1 (I'm sorry but it's still so incredibly tedious), but the first five minutes of 2 made up for it entirely.

If we're talking about part 3 Jotaro only then yeah, D'arby is pretty uncontested. If it's him in general, then it might be the time he showed what a good parent he was by punching Jolyne in the face to get her out of the way, while they were in the meeting room early in part 6.

Josuke has a shitload of good moments, so it's really hard to pick, but I'm gonna go with him being a guy that can turn into a pair of shoes and thinking "I can use him to SCAM Rohan". I loved Ed Edd n Eddy as a kid and that whole plot could match to an episode of that show incredibly easily. Also I'll mention the part where Kira realizes that Josuke was the person most threatening to him all along (after he heals Okuyasu) as a more serious event.

Giorno's an easy one, it's gotta be the time he steals a hundred cars. Like with Josuke, the fact that his first thought in how to hide in plain sight was to do something so ridiculously silly, with a straight face, was pretty great. Honorable mention to driving the car into the water because really, what the hell man.

Jolyne's solution to fighting THE RODS being to set herself on fire will always be the most metal thing in this series to me. JoJo characters have always cared very little and their own safety, and Jonathan even set his hand on fire against Dio, but Jolyne takes it a step further. Also that time she pissed off the alligator by throwing the ring at it.

Johnny is a hard one since his character has a clear, satisfying arc, so it's hard to think of a single particular instance. It also doesn't help that he's kind of overshadowed by Gyro in terms of presence most of the time. For now the big one that comes to mind is the only ORAORA of the entire part, because of how incredibly satisfying it was.

Haven't read part 8 yet since it's on going and I feel like if I catch up, I will end up hating having to wait.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Considering how good Pink Giorno looks (significantly better than blue tbh) I have faith a Johnny recolor would look good.

God help them if they change Jolyne's black and green color scheme though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The only real problem with Hot Pant's death was that I didn't realize she had died. From what I remember her last panel is getting thrown off the train but you know this series, she could be right as rain in a few minutes. Dio had a similar problem where his last panel was him as just a torso but since this is Jojo I wasn't expecting that as his last actual scene.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

This seems to be the last time Hot Pants shows up in the present, and the page immediately after it. Even looking at it now I don't really get the sense that she died here, it really just looks like there's a page missing with a reaction shot, she didn't even hit the ground. Like, knowing what I do now, I guess it's a death? But they're usually more obvious in this series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It essentially had the opposite of Giorno's power, in that he turned living things into objects I think.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

the very first thing that happens in the manga is giorno turning something into a frog and the frog returns to him

e: unless you mean recall in a different sense in which case idk its jojo

It returned to him because he was the owner of it (I guess because he stole it from Koichi or something) which is what his power always did, but this time he turned the bike into a hand and returned it, even though it wasn't his bike. I guess he could do it because he explicitly turned it into his hand and thus he owned it?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The end of part 6 was Atkin's way of sending off all the previous assumptions about the series in a concrete way. It's clear with part 7 that he wanted to go in a pretty different direction and while he could have just not done a reset, doing it this way means he essentially can't rely on past plot points to keep things moving. I feel like, just like with the invention of stands at all, Araki felt the need to force himself to come up with something new.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If you wanna go that route then part 3 literally could not have happened because Jotaro was killed by Pucci. And from there everything else falls apart. I don't think the other parts happened in the new world, but it doesn't really matter since they already happened in the past parts.

Usually I hate endings where everyone's lives are totally different at the end, but because JoJo is so inherently disconnected in terms of settings, it doesn't bother me that much here.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I assume King Crimson has a large range for a stand but not the entire world. Otherwise everyone would have already experienced his stand whenever he used it before. It's not like The World where the entire world has to stop or otherwise it would make no sense.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So now that Fighting Gold is on its way out, what did the chain theme really have to do with anything? Is it just a metaphor for being chained by the Passione they decided to be literal with? I guess it confuses me because there's so very little actually going on in the opening, and it's kind of weird to base the whole thing on.

Askin in the manga thread in case I just forgot about something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It has been years since I read the manga, but I feel like the anime made it a lot clearer what the deal with Buccirati is. From the latest ep it looks like his spirit left his body (like we saw with characters like Avdol and even Joseph) but in the end he just kinda... decided not to leave and just entered his own body again. He saw that there was still stuff he had to do and his resolve let him possess his own body. It doesn't really have anything to do with Giorno's intervening, or King Crimson at all.

Also agreed about the Fugo analysis. It's disappointing to see him go, but I think it works character wise. I really need to read Purple Haze Feedback now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Well they could always heal the guy for free (you know... if they felt like it, which they didn't), but replacing a suit?? Money don't grow on trees.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The way it's portrayed in the anime it really just looks like he decided to not die and Giorno's healing just taped up the body instead of actually saving him. Considering he also makes a turtle with a stand (something I completely forgot about) it could've been Giorno too though with how much bullshit he pulls I guess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm definitely liking Mista a lot more in the anime, when he was easily my least liked in the manga. He still dresses like an rear end in a top hat though.

In general the part does feel like a significant step down in terms of characters and plot though. Giorno himself still feels pretty out of place in the group since everyone else already has a history with one another, and it's not like he really interacts with them that much besides the stand fights. Compared to part 3 where you saw things like Jotaro apparently doing parlor tricks in the offtime, or liking sumo, Giorno just isn't cutting it character wise. I don't really think a comparison to part 4's group is necessary since they spent so much time building up Josuke, Okuyasu and Koichi as pals.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Diavolo is sort of like a combination of DIO and Kira and ends up not being as fun as either one of them. I still like him, but he's probably one of the weakest villains.

All the stuff going on with Pucci makes me like him even if he succeeds for increasingly bullshit reasons. He started as a kid that made a huge mistake and ended up becoming a gigantic piece of poo poo because he got power.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

What are you talking about sub-oh. I wouldn't be surprised if anime only watchers figure it out pretty quickly, after what they did with Last Train Home.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The only head scratching part about that is the thought that Part 1's opening wasn't amazing which it was.

I feel like both of part 5's openings are some of the weakest of the series. Fighting Gold was a pretty good song, but the visuals felt like they should have changed once we saw Aerosmith in the show proper, because I have never been a fan of characters just using their abilities as the meat of an opening. This new one just feels pretty underwhelming since it's a huge recap we'll see every episode.

Also Chase is one of the best openings

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

For whatever reason the part 5 stands in particular get the really lame names. Part 4's mostly did references or synonyms (though I still have no idea what Show Off meant) and part 6 gave us Flaccid Pancake, why did they drop the ball in such an arbitrary place I wonder.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't even remember her using Spice Girl again except for one instance in the very last fight, where she stops Diavolo from walking.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

On another note the anime is making me realize how little Narancia gets to do anything either. So far he's only used his stand in a significant way twice. It's essentially been Giorno, Mista and Buccelati doing everything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think the phrase "erased time" is more thematic in this case than the other time based powers. The way it's used, it effectively is just everyone forgetting what happened, and not time literally being erased. It feels like Araki felt obligated to use some super strong time power for the main antagonist and really stretched it, which is strange because it's not like he's used all of the possible time loving powers yet.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm half surprised they didn't drastically change his colors like they did with Giorno.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Bringing up obvious plot hooks and then never using them is an Araki thing and in the end I can only imagine they're "plot hooks" because this genre has trained us to think that about anything hanging. I am reminded of the runaway girl in part 3 who mentioned her father a couple times, both of which ended up not having any consequence.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I prefer it being Diavolo as the original, though at this point I'm imagining it's more that he was a different person to begin with and essentially split his soul in two though sheer will. The guy that took a picture of his fling doesn't seem like either one of them.

Also this section of the manga was essentially part 5's version of Yoshikage Kira Wants A Quiet Life, so it was clear to me they were one person from the start.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Didn't he get the iron back by eating the frog? It's been a while but I definitely remember him chowing down at the end.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The whole "Erasing time" thing is really just a product of what we've come to expect, and what comes after in the series. The time powers we saw before this were very straightforward. DIO stops time, everything freezes. Kira goes back to the previous day, like he pressed the "Skip to Previous" button. Pucci speeds time up and Ringo Roadagain reversed time. It's just that since we're expecting it to work within that frame of reference it ends up not making a whole lotta sense in context. The anime has cleared up at least some of the stuff (Buccelati did not die in the erased time, he's just alive because he is) but I don't think it'll end up making it totally cohesive.

On another note, does anyone know if the Japanese fandom has this sorta problem understanding King Crimson, or are they just so beyond that they don't care?

edit: What I'm saying is if it was just billed as "Erasing events" (plot points, like was suggested in the anime thread) I don't think there'd be nearly as much confusion, everyone is just so focused on the time aspect.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Considering we see all kinds of weird poo poo in the Rohan stories that have nothing to do with stands, I don't think they really need to retcon Kars into having one. He has ridiculous superpowers because the world of Jojo is loving chaos.