Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why would Jotaro have Polnareff and Coco Jambo? They're in the possession of Giorno and the mafia.
Because it's a one-off moment of comic relief in an otherwise uncharacteristically serious fan comic.

I wouldn't think too hard about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sometimes I wonder what most of Dio's minions did before becoming Dio's minions.

Like, what was Steely Dan's job? What was Alessi's? Big political cartoon axes labeled 'AXE' don't come cheap you know.

Doesn't matter one bit for story purposes, I just find it amusing to think about.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Presumably he'd be a prosecution attorney.

Dio von Karma.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Steely Dan's introduction implies that selling kebabs is his regular job.
I highly doubt Steely Dan was local to the area. My assumption would be his stint as a kebab vendor was just his cover.

Vanilla Ice, meanwhile, always struck me as a biker of some kind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's a great collaborator.

Dio likes to keep him around because he really knows how to listen.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You know when he's gonna do it too. You can see it in his eyes. It's like something grabs a hold of him tightly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's a real vandal alright.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

People in the anime thread talking about dog death again.

Can't wait for Part 4.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Araki is secretly a deep cover goon.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I was hoping that the joke would be vague enough to not be spoilers
I'm hoping someone remembers my dog post in a decade or so when we get to Stone Ocean.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ekusukariba posted:

The dance and Narancia getting fork stabbed are definitely the highlights of part 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuUNlITkOg
This post reminded me that the video featuring Akira Otoishi belting out a face melter was taken down from youtube and that makes me sad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nah man, Josuke's legit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I blame Aurain more than Zeruel.

Which is not to say I don't blame Zeruel but that deadbeat post, really dude?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You say deadbeat, I immediately think deadbeat dad.

Probably not the only one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's most likely referring to Dio supercharging himself with Joseph's blood, yes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Worst Girl posted:

The implication I'm getting from the Vento Aureo game is that whenever Doppio's phone rings, it's just him going "BRRRING BRRRING"
I'm not sure how you could think it was anything else?

Unless you mean possibly his stand.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Steely Dan isn't necessarily dead, but I doubt he's up to much these days.

Dude's probably wrapped up like King Tut.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Optimus Subprime posted:

Jojo's normal adventure would probably be him picking up groceries for his mom. Or contemplating his relationship with his absentee father. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (in Unresolved Feelings).
Part 4 soon, friends.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

RatHat posted:

Don't they usually take a break between seasons?
Considering I'd previously resigned myself to Jojo never getting a proper adaptation, a year or two still qualifies as soon.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke didn't need to go back in time and Part 4 is better for it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My inner Empress did the Trial of the 77 Rings.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There is no filler in Jojo. Period.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jojo is a fighting manga, and from Part 3 onward it becomes increasingly about the fights. Which is fine. The draw should be the fights. That's not to say it isn't (or shouldn't be) anything more than fights, but it's an action serial whose plot and characters ultimately exist in service of its central conceit: dudes fighting. I enjoy One Piece, but I've never read an Oda fight I actually dug so I'm still stalled out somewhere early on in the series. The characters are fun, the locales are vibrant, and the jokes are funny, but I can't get into the fights in a series about the fights so I fell behind on keeping up. There's very little tension.

There are fights in Jojo that fall flat, but none of them are filler - at least not by the definition of wasting the audience's time with stuff that doesn't matter. Part 3's plot basically exists as an excuse to travel the world and fight a bunch of bozos. It's actually paced pretty well considering our heroes are always making substantive, measurable gains. Take out a world map and you can even chart their progress. Every stand user defeated brings them one step closer towards their goal. Not all those stand users are particularly impressive and a couple of the fights end on a weak note, but they "Matter."

Part 4 is a bit trickier to place since it's all set in one location without any immediate long-term goals (they want to find the arrow, sure, but that's largely a peripheral concern), but still stays true to the series core of traveling to interesting places (Morioh in this case), meeting weird people, and (not always) fighting them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah.

I never liked the interpretation that they knew because it's way funnier to think the crusaders just get up to dumb stuff whenever they have a free moment.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Exercu posted:

Man, it's explicit.
There were people in the anime thread who doubted it even then.

My point was even ignoring direct confirmation, it's still the funnier option.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Being a doofus is literally the best thing about Joseph.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Hi Jojo manga thread. I've long been aware of the Jojo franchise and its characters since the MAME rom is in frequent rotations at parties among my friends, but I've only recently gotten into the manga. I'm really digging it, particularly when the style goes off the rails during the Jotaro chapters (vol 13 onwards?) I did a huge series of effort posts for the DBZ thread on the art of the Dragonball manga and I'm planning an effort post (or series of posts since it's getting a bit long) comparing the art of Jojo with the art of Dragonball, with a particular focus on Jojo's emotional intensity and the influences both manga have had on the punchman mangas that followed in their footsteps. Do any of you know of any essays on the art of Jojo or Jojo's influence? Google hasn't given me anything too satisfactory yet, but I'm sure there's something out there and I'd rather cite that than reinvent the wheel.
While this probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, Araki gave a lecture on his approach to making comics back in 2005 or 6. That link there is just an overview so it's not too meaty, but you might make some use of it.

There's also a known interview with him and Tsubaki Nekoi (of CLAMP fame), though most of it is about themes and the creative process.

Aside from those two links I'm not aware of much that's been written about him. I do know he published a book about his methods just this year, but it hasn't been translated (nor has his book on horror films). That said, what is known is that he's very respectful of Italian art, especially the classics: Leonardo de Vinci, Michelangelo. In his work for the Louvre Collection series, Rohan at the Louvre, he has his (sort of) author stand-in chide some sloppily-dressed comic book fans for disrespecting the museum, saying "If you really love manga, respect this place, okay? When you come to admire the masterpieces of great masters, you dress up better than that! Next time, put on a tie instead of dressing like you're going skateboarding!"

It's not much, but I hope it helps. I enjoyed your DBZ effort posts and look forward to more if you're going to include Jojo. I could go on and on about Jojo myself, but mostly thematic stuff and story structure which I doubt people would have much patience for.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, he has openly expressed his respect for Italian art in various interviews and author's notes and not just his work for the Louvre.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 15, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qM2vHahcqQ

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"No, not the band."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Somebody on the Jojo forums bought a copy and translated the table of contents. Should help with figuring out which sections you want to puzzle out first.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, here's Rohan showing the proper way to perform a spirit bomb.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cena vs. Everything posted:

Cena appears to be either immune to time.
Wrestling fans are the best but also the worst.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I dislike the top of the charts theory because it prioritizes sticking with a gimmick over choosing an ED that fits. That's not to say All Star wouldn't fit, but it suggests they'd just go with whatever No. 1 was regardless of whether it worked or not.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Actually, if we're gonna assume Fatty's death is the turning point, it'd be neat if they dropped whatever the ED was up till that point and introduced the new ED for the rest of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVVsJqvCIg4

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd also prefer the People of Morioh as the cliffhanger, though that'd place Cinderella as the first fight of season two which is kind of an odd note to start on (though I guess that's kind of unavoidable).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

More than a glimpse. Fatty dies at the end of Kira Yoshikage Wants a Quiet Life.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Went to the trouble to make a mock-up episode list for a hypothetical Part 4 anime. Here's the breakdown:

Season One
  1. Jotaro Kujo Meets Josuke Higashikata
  2. Aquatic Necklace (1)
  3. Aquatic Necklace (2)
  4. The Nijimura Brothers (1)
  5. The Nijimura Brothers (2)
  6. The Nijimura Brothers (3)
  7. Echoes (1)
  8. Echoes (2)
  9. Surface (1)
  10. Surface (2)
  11. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love (1)
  12. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love (2)
  13. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love (3)
  14. Let's Go Out for Italian!
  15. Red Hot Chili Peppers (1)
  16. Red Hot Chili Peppers (2)
  17. Red Hot Chili Peppers (3)
  18. Achtung Baby
  19. Let's Go Visit the Mangaka's House! (1)
  20. Let's Go Visit the Mangaka's House! (2)
  21. Let's Go Hunting!
  22. Rohan Kishibe's Bizarre Adventure
  23. Harvest (1)
  24. Harvest (2)
  25. Kira Yoshikage Wants a Quiet Life (1)
  26. Kira Yoshikage Wants a Quiet Life (2) <-- (includes the People of Morioh)
Season Two
  1. Cinderella (1)
  2. Cinderella (2)
  3. Sheer Heart Attack (1)
  4. Sheer Heart Attack (2)
  5. Sheer Heart Attack (3)
  6. Atom Heart Father (1)
  7. Atom Heart Father (2) <-- (includes Kira's Yoshikage's New Face)
  8. Rock, Paper, Scissors! (1)
  9. Rock, Paper, Scissors! (2)
  10. I Am An Alien (1)
  11. I Am An Alien (2)
  12. Highway Star (1)
  13. Highway Star (2)
  14. Stray Cat (1)
  15. Stray Cat (2)
  16. The Man on the Tower (1)
  17. The Man on the Tower (2)
  18. Enigma (1)
  19. Enigma (2)
  20. My Dad is Not My Dad
  21. Cheap Trick (1)
  22. Cheap Trick (2)
  23. Another One Bites the Dust (1)
  24. Another One Bites the Dust (2)
  25. The Invincible Crazy Diamond (1)
  26. The Invincible Crazy Diamond (2) <-- (includes Golden Hearts of Morioh)
Might not work out exactly like this, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't close.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I need Okuyasu to make it to the playoffs or my fantasy football team is kaput.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

KOICHI STEALS FIRST BASE!

IT'S GOOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

From this thread too.