Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I do like Part 5's fights and characters, but it is also the most "Araki forgot" part in the series and the moment Silver Chariot Requiem appears it becomes a total mess. If I had to rank every part, it'd be somewhere around the middle. The anime will probably raise my opinion of the fights and characters even more, but I don't think it will do anything about the aspects I don't like.

Really looking forward to watching my gangster boys dance in the middle of a torture session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Narancia somehow manages to be dumber than Polnareff and that's a feat worthy of recognition.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BaDandy posted:

No joke, I really love Steel Ball Run partly because Araki writing an American president that uses the desiccated corpse of Jesus Christ and American Exceptionalism in order to benefit the country at the expense of other nations is one of the most realistic and too close to home parts of it, even if he's being mega-literal and ridiculous about it. I'm not even sure if the people going around like "Valentine is such a good dude even if he's the villain! Best president!" are just memeing it up or if they missed that he's trying to enact a dictatorship, or the implications of him potentially revealing to the public that he has the actual corpse of Jesus and insisting that it chose him and how easily he could create a theocratic state with that. Remember when GWB said that God told him to bomb Iraq?

"Valentine did nothing wrong" is a meme that makes me legit uncomfortable, especially after the last elections.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

As one of the two people whose favorite italian boi is Fugo (the other being the PHF guy) I'm glad they're adding to his backstory. Not sure I like this version better than the one in PHF but oh well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

His family situation and the reason he beat his teacher are different. It's not entirely unsalvageable but you'd have to either ignore those bits or rewrite the inner dialogue he has where things remind him of his past.

Honestly the bigger shot against a PHF OVA here is that the differences mean that David either was unaware of PHF or didn't care about it enough to use its version of events, so it means that Fugo will just disappear halfway through the story.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My problem with part 6 is that it doesn't have enough of the moments of levity that make every other part so endearing to me. I was already getting stand fight fatigue by the time FF died and things kicking into overdrive at that point then ending on a huge downer didn't really help. I also am not a big fan of how it changes DIO's character or how arbitrary the plot to reach heaven is.

I realize that most of this is just me having the wrong expectations out of part 6, but I just wanted to watch FF throwing balls like a queer. :smith:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't think it's really accurate to say anybody who was alive by the time of part 6 is freed of fate or had a happy ending of any kind, because they're all dead. The new joestars are different people with similar (but not identical) names, physical characteristics and life circumstances. This is in the same part in which FF explicitly pointed out that, were she to be reborn, she would be a different person from the one she is now, so she'd rather stay dead. I don't think this happening a couple dozen chapters before everyone dies and is reborn is a coincidence so I'm inclined to take it like a very bitter ending with some sweetness to it.

The old cast died and a new cast was born. The happiness of the new cast is irrelevant to the fact that the old cast's lives ended in the blink of an eye.

The Death of the Author metaphor is rad tho.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just finished the episode and I still haven't fully registered that yes that was King Crimson in animated form in front of my eyes. I can't wait until KC just skips over the OP and drops us in media res or whatever time-themed silliness David has in mind happens.

What a time to be alive.

MonsterEnvy posted:

We honestly have a lot of extra time.

At the ridiculous pace they're going I honestly don't know how they're going to fill those 39 episodes. They'll have to noticeably slow down or add a lot of extra scenes, I hope it is more like... The Sun, where the additions improved the whole experience considerably, and less like Formaggio, which I honestly felt dragged a little. I believe in David.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

a spoilery picture was deleted from the anime thread comparing jojo characters to horror influences, what was the last one? Damo?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it was the lady in the bathtub from Soft and Wet

Expect My Mom posted:

Josuke finding the lady in the bathtub right before he summons Soft & Wet, comparing it to Jack finding the woman's in the tub in the Shining

Oh. Huh, I expected Damo since Vitamin C is probably one of the most genuinely horrifying stand powers yet (if not the most), but that makes sense too. Thanks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

I would have loved to see the scenes Araki has talked about where he wanted Fugo to have fight Passione, I think maybe on assignment, which would end in his death, but things in Araki's personal life at the time made the idea of friends betraying and killing each other too hard for him to write

I'll def re-read Purple Haze Feedback soon and maybe Golden Heart, Golden Ring for the first time. As it stands now, Fugo just kinda looks like a coward who doesnt even try to understand or respect his friends decisions

I agree with the sentiment as a whole but the last impression most watchers/readers will get of Fugo is not entirely inaccurate, because he is a coward who follows his brain too much and his heart not nearly enough. From his own perspective (and this is partly Bruno's fault in not explaining his goals more thoroughly or at least sooner, tbh) the gang is doing something suicidally stupid for the sake of a random girl they have no attachment to. Delivering Trish to her killer is scummy, but they're criminals that do all sorts of scummy things already, so he just stands there not understanding what made Bruno suddenly have a change of heart.

There's more to it than that, though. Obviously the real reason he stayed behind is because Araki couldn't go with his original plan for him, but for all of his inconsistencies the man has a better grasp of psychology and characterization than most shonen mangaka, so even in his final unrealized state I find him compelling for being tragically... Well, human. Fundamentally the problem Fugo suffers from is that he's got book smarts and a literally self-destructive personality and those are the reasons he stays behind.

If Bruno had shared some of his thoughts about the drug trade earlier (or at all) things might have gone differently, but, well, he didn't. Fugo's position in the family unit that the gang has formed is that of the smart and cool headed guy (at least when he isn't snapping at people), just from the few scenes he gets it's safe to assume he views himself as a sort of mentor to Narancia and Giorno. It's only natural that he'd be confused to the point of paralysis when Bruno tells him that, if he wants to continue being one of them, he must abandon the thing that gave him a sense of belonging in the first place. Without his role as the smart and cool headed guy, Fugo is just an angry guy with a stand that is as much of a threat to his friends as it is to himself. He is much like Narancia in that if Bruno had been more forceful then Fugo might have ended up going with them in the end. For all of his griping and rambling about how the group's actions make no sense, his last line is that expressing regret that he can't become a righteous idiot. Not won't but can't, because he needs someone to give him a proper friendship speech to overcome his self-defeating thoughts.

I do agree with pretty much everyone who says he feels like a wasted character but, in a way, I find Fugo's ultimate fate much more fitting for him and more interesting as a parable than the original plan of him betraying the gang. It's not that Fugo walks away from the group, it's that the group walks away from him. It's not that he wouldn't die for Bruno, it's that Bruno fails to be the leader that Fugo needs. In a story about a bunch of misfits coming together as a family and ultimately fighting their evil patriarch, I do think that Fugo falling by the wayside fulfills his narrative purpose. I mean, it would've been a lot better if the story went back to this moment and developed Zombie Bruno a bit more, but Araki forgot does what araki wants.

tl;dr I think cowardly Fugo makes more sense and is more interesting than traitor Fugo.

Also I would stab a man in the cheek with a fork to see PHB or GHGR animated.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 2, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They're just going to call it Big Man or something equally lame.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Notorious Chase is somehow even worse than my purposefully boring Big Man idea so props on pulling that off I guess.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

multijoe posted:

I don't think Trish Vitamin C-ing herself would be quite the decisive counter-move you're making it out to be

It makes about as much sense as Jolyne turning herself into a mobius strip or Bruno splitting himself up. When it is the user's own ability it implies they are in control of the side effects somewhat, plus the rule of cool benefits them for going with a plan that crazy and risky.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Crazy theory of the day: When the opening changes it won't be because King Crimson is time-skipping around it, but because Silver Chariot Requiem is going to switch people's souls and make everything super weird and nonsensical.

My logic is that usually the opening changes when the antagonist reveals the true nature of their time-manipulation power, but in this case we already know what King Crimson does and basically everyone expects it to happen, so it loses the element of surprise that great days suddenly looping back had. Also it's really weird that the opening is so keen on spoiling so much yet completely hides Polnareff, who is super important to the last arc and will probably be featured in the opening at some point. So what better time to put him in there than the very end, making the opening put the bizarre in this bizarre adventure at the same time the plot does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I sometimes use the word trope because it's shorter than "genre convention" and also using "genre convention" a bunch of times in long effortposts gets repetitive to the point it loses meaning. Don't tropeshame.