Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurain posted:

http://alovelyburn.tumblr.com/post/53883744812/meta-deconstructing-dio-jjba

Here's about a million words someone did about why DIO is Dio or something.

Tumblr has a lot of time on their hands. It's not bad, that being said.

That was an interesting read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

1.) Why isn't Joseph a vampire?
2.) Did they ever find that baby's mom?

1. Star Platinum is just THAT GOOD at blood transfusions or Joseph expelled the vampire extract like Jonathan.

2. No, which is why Joseph adopted her. Suzie Q is the closest thing now since I doubt she'd separate from Joseph after 50 years of marriage.

Senor Candle posted:

I mostly skipped 5 because I couldn't deal with the terrible translation, is there somewhere I could read a good summary of it?

Giorno wants to be a GANGSTAR and makes plans to kill the mafia's leader, a guy with the least coherent backstory ever (though it is intentional) and a Stand ability that has become as memetic as ZA WARUDO, because of him polluting Italy with drugs.

But first, he has to kill all of the people trying to kill the boss alongside a bunch of other people with cool Stand powers (and Abacchio) who are (initially) loyal to the boss.

Eventually, Giorno's Stand becomes the most broken thing in the series and a certain Frenchman ends up living inside of a turtle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jolyne is way cooler than her dad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's just some leftover bits of Stone Free Araki recycled for SBR.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how everyone in JJBA is a fashion victim. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

El Hefe posted:

It sucks that every final boss main gimmick its time manipulation in every part starting from 3

I actually thought that was pretty cool. And it's not like it's the same time power every time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Think of Stand powers like a DVD player.

The World is the pause button, Bites the Dust is rewind, King Crimson is skip scene, Made in Heaven is fast forward, and D4C is switching one DVD for another.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This works too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darko posted:

I can't remember Poli being in this fight at ALL. What does he do in the Dio fight?

Stabs Dio in the head right before he almost offs Jotaro with a stop sign.

It's pretty funny that Joseph and Kakyoin were trying to avoid a fight and ended up neck deep in one while Polnareff wanted to fight Dio and ended up doing the least in said fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darko posted:

That's two Joestars for Dio, a feat not matched until Pucci.

George Joestar (the First).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, he killed Harvest and Cinderella's Stand Users. And the original Kawajiri.

And, to be fair, he DID kill a bunch of main characters with Bites the Dust before it got undone and punched a hole through Koichi's body.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darko posted:

I re-looked at the manga for the first time in forever, and completely forgot that Joseph got a ghost and stuff like all the other dead people after Dio drank his blood. So ridiculous.

...but that gave us old fake-senile Joseph in 4, so all is forgiven.

Maybe Terrence D'arby ran by, played some vidya with Joseph, and took his soul.

And then he died on the way home? :shrug:

Aurain posted:

Bear in mind that Kira threatens to kill Fatty's mother and father before Shigechi himself, despite the fact that Kira almost definitely wouldn't hunt them down because he hates drawing attention to himself and that he's going to kill Shigechi anyway. Dude just wanted to traumatize him beforehand.

My favorite Kira moment is him tying Koichi's shoes before preparing to blow him up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

Can you imagine how much of a shocking twist if in the finale of part 6 it had Joseph show up and be young looking, revealing Dio had been playing the long con

I would be fine with this, just because it'd mean that Dio would've had to change the invisible baby's diapers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I really hope they copy the OVA's scenario for Polnareff instead of the manga's.

What do you mean? In the OVA, I only remember Polnareff stabbing Dio in the head, allowing Jotaro to knock him away.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

standard owl posted:

Hazamada or whatever in part 4 did try to bang Surface, so the idea of stand-loving is technically brought up in canon

I forgot that happened. Didn't his Stand poo poo talk him the whole time?

Part 4 is so good. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Theoretically he could also pretty solidly beat Joseph and we saw how that turned out.

To be fair, Joseph had a previously established plot device in his pocket.

I mean that in a non-bad way, as a heads up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Can you imagine if Dio actually was able to stop time forever? He'd be so bored.

Just beating up random people and putting cats in people's food and then waiting, like, five hours for them to notice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BaDandy posted:

In other news, this screenshot showed up for me again and I completely forgot that it shows an Evil Stand User audition. Imagine the personals ad about this. Christ almighty.

"Well, that's an interesting talent, Mr. Horse, but I'm afraid I, Dio, only accept applicants who name their Stands after Tarot Cards."

"No wait! I could be, uh... the Emperor!"

"I'm afraid you'll also need a color to go along with that na- oh. Enya informs me we aren't doing that anymore. Welcome aboard, Mr. Horse."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I need to re-read the train fight. I don't recall it sticking out in my mind too much, aside from Pesci suddenly getting serious after Prosciutto died.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

White Album and Metallica are probably my favorite enemy Stands from Part V.

Metallica is also a good example of Stand stats mean nothing because it has Cs across the board and has a wide array of ridiculously broken powers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is it accurate that Araki didn't make Fugo have to fight Giorno's group because he found the idea of a traitor disgusting? They have that listed on Fugo's JJBA wiki page.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I think where it really went wrong was when Silver Chariot Requiem showed up. At that point everything just stopped making sense.

Is anyone else sad at the realization that Polnareff no longer has Silver Chariot and is thus missing a very big piece of his soul? :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure Araki is either trying to turn guys who read his manga gay or just ended up making a really awesome shoujo manga that ended up becoming shounen somehow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58x4dEA_uA

The internet was made for videos like this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how Do survived 100 years without blood. Didn't Cars as the Ultimate Lifeform need to eat at least once a year?

I also wonder if Jotaro could see Dio throwing that knife at Joseph. That'd be a pretty traumatic way to learn his new power.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you've made it to Terrence, then feel good knowing there are no more slow paced battles after that, I guess.

Ekusukariba posted:

Saw this and figured i should post it http://a.pomf.se/zrhivb.webm

I never get tired of this. Wish it used Crazy Diamond's ASB cry, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 7, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot Giorno drank piss.

JJBA never skimps on the bizarre.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a reason why I said Part 3's Star Platinum's power is doing whatever it takes to move the plot forward.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Jotaro ever found out Polnareff became a turtle or if Polnareff just continued to pal around with Giorno until the universe reset.

chaos rhames posted:

It's kind of funny that polnareff never contacted Jotaro, the guy who knows a magic doctor.

I think it was said he was worried about the mob catching his communications line if he called out of Italy or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

grancheater posted:

JOSEPH JOESTAR
1920 - 1938
     2011(?)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm sad there will never be an Ace Attorney game with Prosecutor Dio Brando objecting to things by screaming "WRYYYY".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The Darby brothers probably made money by gambling; I doubt they always played just to collect souls.

I'm pretty sure Daniel outright says at one point in the manga that he amassed a great fortune by beating some wealthy individuals.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kind of weird they always described Crazy Diamond's power as healing when it seemed more like FMA alchemy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ben Diskin voicing a guy who stops time in Kingdom Hearts and then coming over to voice a guy who gets beaten up by a guy who stops time in JJBA is pretty great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dio removing his shirt to read will never not be great. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aurain posted:

Is it really spoilers to say Jotaro will win and DIO will be disintegrated by the sun? I mean, they all know there's a lot more JoJo after part 3 and how often do shonens end without the protagonists winning? They technically even win out in Stone Ocean.

I think it was just a joke about the sexy thing not actual spoiler concern.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

darealkooky posted:

re-reading part 5 and I realized an interesting comparison between DIO and Diavolo

DIO's big dramatic reveal against the heroes involves him at the top of a flight of stairs, and preventing Polnareff (who is at the bottom) from going up them

Diavolo's big dramatic reveal against the heroes involves him at the bottom of a flight of stairs, and Polnareff (who is at the top) is unable to prevent him from going up them.

I saw someone point this out somewhere recently. MAL, I think.

DIO is supposed to be Italian for God, and Diavolo is Italian for Devil. And I guess that would make the stairs the Stairway to Hea- :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

The dance and Narancia getting fork stabbed are definitely the highlights of part 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuUNlITkOg

Fugo needs a stress ball or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Part 5 has a scene where Giorno shoots a dude in the head with a bullet, turns it into a beetle that starts eating the dude's brain and then follows that poo poo up with four double spreads worth of beatdown.

What I'm trying to say is that anybody who says Part 5 is bad is wrong on every level.

I'd dare say that Part V as a whole has the best quality of Stands in the series.

BaDandy posted:

Would that count for Mista too, then?

Yes. When that part is brought up, Mista's Sex Pistols is referenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot Polnareff has Silver Chariot legs in Part V.