Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

It's okay they had zombie horse thread which is in no way explained.

I just assumed it was some off-screen Neapolitan stand user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I meant in terms of how you get them, there's a bajillion different ways and not really any rhyme or reason to it pre-SBR but in SBR it's all Corpse Parts all the time.

That's not even true, plenty of people get stands from the Devil's Palm, which is even more mysterious than the meteor arrows from the other parts.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it accurate that Araki didn't make Fugo have to fight Giorno's group because he found the idea of a traitor disgusting? They have that listed on Fugo's JJBA wiki page.

I heard that he had Fugo leave the group because he was having trouble figuring out how to work his stand into fights, because it was too powerful.

But the only trivia about Fugo on the wiki that has any citation is "According to Araki, Fugo actually wears a thong." so....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CJ posted:

Is there a complete collection of these? A lot of the scans don't translate the sleeves. The ones about him having a swimsuit girl calendar and how master craftsmen have soft hands are so weird that i want to read the rest.

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Author%27s_Note

Go nuts.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Broseph Brostar posted:

Alessi confirmed

She doesn't look younger, Formaggio confirmed :colbert:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Cioccolatta fight always felt like the real climax of part 5 to me. Part of it is that everything surrounding the Diavolo fight is so confusing and weird, but also that beatdown is just so great.

GioGio even slips in a WRYYYYY at the end!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Just do Us and Os, we don't need the special characters, thank you.

But without them you might end up pronouncing it jaw-sef-ummy!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've started to read part 6, and it's good but I have some questions about Jotaro. First off, is he aging in reverse? When he was 16 he looked like he was 36, and now that he's 36 or so he looks like he's 16. Second, why could Dio gradually train his The World and get time to stop more and more for him, and Jotaro can't get more than 2 seconds even though his stand's development stat is equal (or greater?) than Dio's? Plus this isn't Joseph, Jotaro has been active with his stand powers after his part of the story and he's now been using his stand longer than Dio.

Him looking younger is just an art style thing. Joseph aged slower because of the ripple but Jotaro doesn't have it at all.

Jotaro probably COULD develop his stand to stop time for longer, but he's gotten rusty. It's not like stopping time for a few seconds is useful for writing grant applications. It was also a lower limit in part 4 for the same reason, but it's even less in part 6.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bad Seafood posted:

I hope they keep Annasui's sex switch in the anime.

I also hope they keep Fat Valentine before mysteriously switching him for Swole Valentine.

It's not mysterious, he became Swole Valentine when he accepted Jesus into his heart. Well, his whole torso, really.

But I do hope they keep him hanging out with like skinny Valentine and mustachioed Valentine for a couple scenes early on. Its nice foreshadowing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Torquemadras posted:

Man, thinking back, Valentine must be a really lucky villain (right after Pucci) - if I remember correctly, during the Hot Pants - DInO - Valentine fight, Hot Pants makes DInO look like another Valentine while there's already three D4C-less presidents out there, and DInO uses the confusion to DECAPITATE three Valentines instantly. If the "real" Valentine had been among them, he'd be dead immediately without opportunity to switch. 75% chance of death, that was close!

It doesn't matter which one of them survived, as long as at least one did. D4C works by moving from one Valentine to the next when they're mortally wounded, bringing the memories of Valenprime with it. So if the "real" Valentine had died, it would just attach itself to a different one.

The only limitation of D4C is that it can't travel between dimensions on its own. The current Valenprime had to do it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Deltasquid posted:

I wished all his jokes got some sort of explanation at the end of the chapter because either they're forced and weird or totally lost in translation. The one Diego makes sounds like it would've been amazing in a terrible way judging by the translator's note, but some are just left as this weird nonsensical translation and I always wonder what the Japanese pun was.

I thought it was translated pretty well, it's just a really lame joke. Which makes it hilarious when combined with Diego's incredibly smug look. I wish got more of him hanging out with Johnny and Gyro.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

setafd posted:

I haven't started SBR yet but all I know about it is that there are horses and I have no idea how you get there from the world as we know it from Parts 1-6 being gone

SBR is basically just a horse racing manga for like the first 30 chapters, but it's still great.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Iserlohn posted:

Don't they have a history together? I thought during the flashback before he gets Tusk Act 2 it shows his dad showing favor to Diego over him, paralleling the relationship in Phantom Blood.

No that's Johnny's older brother who dies when Danny (the pet rat who was released into the wild) scares his horse. Which is just one of those JoJo things that could have turned out to mean something but didn't.

Dio is just another very skilled and popular British jockey.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So that's the second Holes reference in the series with one of the Part 5 memebers having that origin. Arakis weird

I love that Araki apparently keeps up with American YA fiction. Part 6 was before the Holes movie came out.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, you're all wrong about the best Araki quote.

But this is missing the best part: the accompanying picture of Araki posing in a tree.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Naerasa posted:

So is the zig-zag thing in Rohan's hair a headband or what? In the normal world I'd say obviously but Araki-world is so weird that it could very well be a layer of plastic that grows out of a specific section of his hair.

Obviously.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

He got buff because he allowed Jesus into his heart.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bad Seafood posted:

I will say I don't really care for any of Dio's sons who show up in Part 6.

Pucci is a great villain though.

I like Versace because he has the same backstory as the protagonist of Holes and my favorite stand in part 6: literally digging up the past.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Forktoss posted:

Some serious bug wrestling going on in JoJolion right now, drat

Beetle Tendency is still my favorite jojolion arc. I hope there's like a bug fight tournament later.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It sounds like at least one of them basically hate read the whole series.

And I mean, part 1 isn't great but saying that it's so bad that it's unethical to reprint it seems to be going a bit far.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

They also talk about part 7 as if it's a reboot that removes all the previous parts from canon :confused:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ComicsAlliance has been running a lot of these "Is [popular thing] Actually Good?" articles lately. Some of them are good but it's mostly just clickbait.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pretty sure it's a pun in Japanese. That's what incomprehensible jokes like that usually are, anyway.

With Gyro, it's hard to be sure!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I was born the day that Kakyoin was cured of DIO's curse :ohdear:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Apes-Ma posted:

Did Araki ever explain why Angelo has an Italian first name and a Japanese last name? I've heard it being translated as "Anjuro" sometimes, but everyone uses Angelo.

What's right?

Probably just because Araki loves Italy and everything Italian.

Like, a lot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Sandman posted:

So, part 5.

Should I wait for the new scans to finish, or should I continue with the old scans where the new ones stop?

For that matter, are the translations for parts 6 and 7 decent?

Part 5 is the only one left with bad translations.

Personally, I'd wait for the new scans to finish, but part 5 has some really good fights so it's up to you. It's not important at all for the plot of part 6 so you can safely skip it and come back later if you want to.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Aha! The Araki SaidTM is from the author's note for part 8 volume 2:

quote:

The "lion" in the title"Jojolion" means things like "blessed thing", "evangelistic", and "commemorative seal". It's a word from ancient Greek or something like that. By combining this word with "Jojo", I've meant for the title to signify the existence of the protagonist "Jousuke" in this world. It's also used in the name of the tragic king in a Greek myth called "Pigmalion" as well as the Japanese animation "Evangelion", but I'm not sure if it has to do with the same idea.

In the end, like everything in JoJo, it's because it sounds cool.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JJL vol. 5 author's note posted:

There are some things I just kinda have fun drawing. Previously, I really enjoyed doing the character Polnareff's hairstyle, the original Jousuke's hairstyle, Killer Queen's whole design, and Soft & Wet's ears. Those sort of drawings where you draw them up with a "swish swish", I go "Ooh!" from the impression it gives myself. This time, I have a lot of fun drawing Yasuho-chan's skirt and don't want to let anyone else draw it, but whenever I do draw it, I always think the flowers on the skirt have got to feel lumpy on her butt so she can't sit down. Are you okay, Yasuho? I'm a little worried.

Araki is good and pure.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Moltrey posted:

Diego whipping his head around after eating rocks, mocking Johnny for NOT eating rocks and then trying to find like a cup or something on the counter but can't cause it's not moving is the hardest I've laughed at JoJo

That whole part is so amazing.

It seems like Dio is finally warming up to Johnny and Gyro and then whoops he's a were-dinosaur.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blue Nation posted:

I have recently embraced the greatness that is JoJo. Is it weird that I find sex pistols adorable?

No they are extremely adorable.

Probably my favorite stand in part 5, even if they are really just a worse version of Emperor. They get by on personality, Emperor doesn't even have a punchghost!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mr. stefan posted:

In its original form heavens door required the target to see Rohan's art.

I love the part where he just draws in the air and that somehow works.

It's basically a formality.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Stallion Cabana posted:

He kind of is, yeah.

I'm still not super sure why Valentine recruited him, even as he did he admitted 'you're probably just looking out for yourself, but that's fine'.

Like what did he think Johnny was gonna do with it, give it to Canada?

Pretty sure it was just spite against Johnny Joestar. I mean he was so close to 「taking the napkin」 and he messed it up. I mean he was doomed anyway, getting final revenge via some other interdimensional rear end in a top hat is the only thing he has left.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pork Pie Hat Kid is one of my favorite fights in SBR. Johnny hiding under a rock in the desert from those big hooks coming out of feathers floating in the air is such a great image.

It's the first real crazy stand fight in that part, and the first time it really switches gears into horror.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Valentine's the best Jojo villain period

He really is.

Valentine is basically a better version of Pucci.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Momomo posted:

My favorite part about the napkin thing is that he yells about it to people who presumably have no idea what he's talking about.

My favorite bit is when he meets another Valentine who just casually wishes him good luck with the napkin. Even when he's just after diamonds, the napkin analogy holds.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The whole napkin analogy works especially well with the time period SBR was set in. Things like the gauge of trails and the wattage of electricity and what kind of fuel would power cars were actually happening, and the ripples of those decisions still effect us today. Valentine is not only a quintessentially American villain, but a 19th century American villain.

Araki is a good writer.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I not sure just how much of this is translations but I just can't imagine enjoying Steel Ball Run or Jojolion as much without the extreamly stilted dialog and emphasis on concepts

My favorite thing though are the tiny pictures of people or things that pop up in world balloons, those are great

Hopefully they replicate that when the anime gets there by just having little images floating around people's heads while they talk dramatically about 「justice」 and 「rotation」 and 「the napkin」.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

I just remembered SBR has one of my favorite background characters in anything ever.

I love those guys and the way they got brutally murdered by accident. Also they confirm that the people with Valentine's hair that were hanging out with him early on weren't alternate reality Valentines, just his underlings who copy his hairstyle.

Lucy Steel should have gotten more chances to actually use her stand, it was really cool.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

multijoe posted:

I've just started JoJolion and these Higashikata kids are hosed up I tell you what

They're fiiiiiine, just a little eccentric.

Except Joshuu, he's a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

no they will not posted:

I just realized something... couldn't The Hand have killed the nijimura father

He'd just regenerate and be hanging out with Avdol's hands in another dimension.