Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

bonewitch posted:

No gyro
No Ringo Roadagain

Literally the worst taste in sbr boyfriends I've ever seen

Ringo's facial hair is horrendous, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wasn't hot pants a lady

honorary boyfriend

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 9 should be a brother-sister sibling Jojo team.

*prepares a goat for the altar, while chanting "Shizuka Joestar...Shizuka Joestar..."*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The problem with Part 5's old translation is there only being a handful of characters with personalities. Also that it's just wrong at times, but you can definitely still read it and grasp the story.

I just would never recommend it, when a good one is being done.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's wrong in the sense that it fucks up the context for details in a given part. So stuff like White Album's rant (which Kite mentioned) or the oft-posted prison conversation are fairly understandable...but you don't get the intended takeaway.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pomp posted:

No idea how real this is but lol

Apparently my copy was delivered so I can check

e: yeah that's what the menu looks like

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 13, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

How could it be delivered already? Amazon doesn't even have a release date.

RightStuf breaks street date if they've got the supply ready. On top of that, I live in the same state as them so I tend to get my stuff even sooner.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like Heaven DIO's look, though it does seem a bit out of line with current Araki

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I was looking into starting to read this.
I keep hearing good things.
Is there a good mobile app that has JoJos?

i'm pretty sure Viz Digital works on smartphones.
for your legal gray areas there's mangastorm (iOS only), where you add series direct from scan sites. the manga app i use for Android doesn't pull up JoJo though, dunno why.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the part 6 outfit is my favorite :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Onmi posted:

So, I was foolish and decided I should try jumping into Jojolion from 48.

I'm... so much more lost and I'm not sure if I'd read from chapter 1 I would understand more.

yes, if you read the manga like a normal person it makes sense

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Onmi posted:

I meant specifically with the Enemy stand. I understand Josuke is apparently a combination of Kira and Josefumi and he's with the Higa family investigating his identity.

Just took me a while to process what I was looking at.

i think that's the first chapter that Stand has even shown up, so everybody is on the same page with you. i could be wrong because i'm at least one chapter behind.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

French bulldogs are cute, and better than Boston terriers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dunno if the Louvre one was a special case, but i haven't kept up with them since i was hoping for more physical releases. are these Rohan oneshots shorter, like they'd need to compile multiple for a single release?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the ANN article said they're releasing a teaser as early as December 19, though that's too early for a thread imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

presumably the arrow stuff could/would happen regardless of DIO, since he wasn't responsible for making them or anything

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

No fat Valentine no buy.

came in to post this

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, Josuke's nose is really bugging me. it's one of the few points of detail on his face but it constantly looks off. hopefully later PVs give a better sense of it, since i'm otherwise incredibly hyped.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

simplifying designs for animation? pshhhh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i definitely prefer the coat/turtleneck/vest combo to whatever he has going on now though, sex symbols notwithstanding

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i haven't reread Stone Ocean in a while, but i would agree that FF's death had more impact than everybody else. maybe because she died on her own while the rest of the crew got owned in quick succesion right at the end.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't care about the OP, just make it be April already!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the Amazon listing for clear blue KQ, that straight up says it's not for sale

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you could do it by release order, but rather than an in-depth lp of the first game, maybe do something highly edited/condensed? or skip it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I will say I don't really care for any of Dio's sons who show up in Part 6.

they got cool Stands, at least

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bohemian Rhapsody had a cool effect, that's about all it needed for me. Underworld i don't remember, but Sky High is one of my favorites because it's total bullshit and Jolyne sets herself on fire to win.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Owning a replica of Kira Yoshikage's tie is one of the things on my bucket list, however.

you could buy tens of JoJo figures with that money

though my problem has been spending the money i should save for Jojoveller on figures...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought the kira tie was hundreds and hundreds. not that i keep track of it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i actually have the black jojo converse, but only wore them once. probably should just sell them

i think the ultimate JoJo clothing item is probably the crystal-encrusted Josuke shirt though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad Polnareff survived, but it is hosed up that he had to watch his boyfriend die twice in addition to their dog dying. not even accounting for all the other tragic stuff that happens to him later. it's hard for me to really imagine Kakyoin living though, because they tie up his end in an emotionally powerful way. plus i'd almost expect him to show up in all the other original universe parts.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would never insult my friends Kakyoin and Caesar by comparing them to Shigechi. even if they all share similar deaths.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, Magenta is good-looking and his worst offenses are being gross and obnoxious. There are plenty of villains who are much worse people.

Like Alessi. Who has cool hair and Stand design, and a rad axe, but not much else.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gappy = Jolyne > Johnny > Old Joseph = Josuke > Jotaro > uhh those other guys

Gappy, Josuke, and Jolyne are the only JoJos who are or could be considered my favorite characters of their respective parts, though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Exercu posted:

i have literally seen people consider D'arby the gambler to be kind of garbage and Alessi to be great

it's weird to outright dismiss D'Arby Elder, but i do prefer D'Arby Younger, and like Alessi and Pet Shop more than Elder too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lisa Lisa gets chumped in her only real fight, which makes me reluctant to really speak of her as one of Araki's good female characters. I still like her, but drat she is completely mishandled.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i forgot that Lucy was subjected to the rape stuff, other than Valentine's wife and the hosed up baby thing (which are still bad). as for Joushuu, i honestly would not care if he melted for good because i can't imagine that gross little rapist having any sort of character comeback.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

As much as I hate Joushuu, he thought he was going along with what Yasuho was telling him. I mean yeah it was gross and lovely and honestly made me feel kinda uncomfortable but I don't think the guy would intentionally rape someone. His character is meant to be stupid, not evil.

Yasuho doesn't even like him prior to the incident, so i dunno why he should get a pass for being oblivious and self-absorbed about their relationship to the point that he does that. That's exactly a real-world problem dudes have when it comes to sexual assault.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

like yeah, i don't think Joushuu is meant to be evil, and there are enough variables to the creation of the scene that i'm not trying to read anything into it yet, but the whole thing is sorta hanging over him now. if it were a dropped plot thread (it already feels like it has been a long time) that might be the best of a bad situation, but we won't know for years.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Amaryllis posted:

I'm like 99.9% sure she won't get a SAS figure when they get around to doing the SBR ones. Hot Pants was robbed.

i really hope this doesn't come true :(

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Age of consent is only 13 in Japan though legalities surrounding it do make it higher in some cases I think, so it may be less "forget" and more "this is less creepy to Japan because their culture don't view it as creepy as westerners do".

i think it's more that the story is set in a time where age differences like that probably didn't matter. Lucy was old enough to be married, and looks older than she is, so having some 31 y/o dude crush on her isn't weird to me in that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Putting on my historian hat for a minute, the period piece argument is a bit shaky in this case. The age of consent was indeed much lower in the late 19th century, but that was also around the time you had a lot of people petitioning to raise it due to the rising public awareness of abuses perpetuated against young girls (google "The Maiden Tribute of Modern Babylon"). It'd take a few decades for those reforms to sweep across the Western world, but even as early as the 1890s (when SBR is set) you'd have people talking about it; and even among those who'd arguably be okay with it, the age difference would still be worthy of raised eyebrows.

That said, within the context of the narrative it's not something that bugs me too much since Araki's pretty clearly trying to strike a particular emotional chord. Tim loves Lucy enough to risk his life for her, to die for her, but he also loves her enough to let her go, to respect her wishes and accept that it won't work out (for a multitude of reasons, both intended and incidental). When Lucy tells him it's impossible, he's sad but understanding. Even after they part ways he's still willing to sacrifice himself to keep her secret from Blackmore. The reality of how such a relationship would play out in the real world (quite poorly) is secondary to the thematic demands of the moment.

...That said, the most likely answer is still this:

thanks for the clarification/education :cheeky:
this is honestly the first time i had even seen people complain about Mountain Tim, but i'd agree that all the stuff with him really works towards some good emotional moments, and he is a stand-up guy despite the age difference.