Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Soulcleaver posted:

I have a friend who is big into esoteric mystical poo poo so I showed him the JJBA wiki entry for Dio's Diary but he said it wasn't a reference to anything he knew of. Probably just typical Araki weirdness.

I have a so-called theory that they're to trigger the reborn Dio's memories. The words themselves don't have any real meaning to them or anything, it's just that they're so random and have a weirdly specific order to them (with a couple of words being repeated in a sort of sequence) that it's just really hard to forget. A few of the words or phrases do connect with Dio in weird ways, though. Like, Hydrangea in Victorian flower language means something like "cold-hearted", Via dolorosa is the path that Jesus had to walk with the cross and Dio's Heaven plan requires him to die and rise again, and rhinoceros beetles can be interchangeable with scarab beetle and Egyptian lore if you really felt like stretching things. The individual words don't seem to be the point, though, and it's more like a secret code or something. Notice how the only hint that the Green Baby might have been Dio is its weird attraction to Jolyne's Joestar birthmark. It only seems to recognize Pucci after he says the code, and then all hell breaks loose.

Seeing as one of the major themes of Stone Ocean is memories and how they shape your identity, and given how Pucci is shown as a keeper of memories, it makes the most sense to me, but I'll also accept random Araki weirdness.

On a fun note, I remember reading something about Egyptian funerary rites and it said something about saying a "magic spell" so that the dead would continue to live on with a new body and their identity intact in the afterlife, and the code did remind me of that but I'm not sure Araki would have caught that. Though, given how really into Egyptology Dio was towards the end, I can see that as a sort of inspiration for his so-called code.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

1. Star Platinum is just THAT GOOD at blood transfusions or Joseph expelled the vampire extract like Jonathan.

2. No, which is why Joseph adopted her. Suzie Q is the closest thing now since I doubt she'd separate from Joseph after 50 years of marriage.

Giorno wants to be a GANGSTAR and makes plans to kill the mafia's leader, a guy with the least coherent backstory ever (though it is intentional) and a Stand ability that has become as memetic as ZA WARUDO, because of him polluting Italy with drugs.

But first, he has to kill all of the people trying to kill the boss alongside a bunch of other people with cool Stand powers (and Abacchio) who are (initially) loyal to the boss.

Eventually, Giorno's Stand becomes the most broken thing in the series and a certain Frenchman ends up living inside of a turtle.

It's not that he's polluting Italy with drugs, just the fact that he's allowing them to be sold to children, but the rest of this is rock solid.

Silver2195 posted:

* Giorno being in Florida

Look, just because the gang wanted to go to Disney World...

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

Because Josuke getting his values and selfless nature from himself saving his own life rather than a strangeR doing a selfless act that would go on to affect Josuke's outlook on life is way lamer.

Hell, it's possible that act is what caused Josuke's Stand power to manifest in the way it did. Josuke's Stand was trying to manifest at the time and that stranger's kindness might have influenced it's growth in favor of being a healing Stand. Or I'm just totally reading into it way too much.

That does make a ton of sense and fits in with the themes of part 4, yeah.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it being a stranger fits in with the idea that morioh is filled with people who are generally fairly kind when it counts, an idea which carries throughout the arc itself and helps point out why kira is so gross and unnatural in the setting. i'm sure some people would absolutely love it to be some dumb time poo poo going on but i honestly prefer it the way it is now.

Yeah, Kira is so antithesis to Morioh that he's done in first by getting run over by a Morioh ambulance, and then as a ghost by the town itself. Or a least a weird, supernatural quirk in the town.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

FirstAidKite posted:

Who Shot Johnny Joestar

http://i.imgur.com/o4qzZQ9.jpg

(edited because wow what an annoying page stretch)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So I'm talking with a friend of mine about someone they know who mentioned that whole "I can't get into JoJo because the art style is ugly" thing and I just don't understand. It's hyper-realism. They look like human beings except ridiculously buff and good-looking. I can get not being into the super-buff style earlier on, and Phantom Blood has some wonkiness to it at first, or maybe you prefer things that are more stylized, or even if the same-face syndrome later on really bothers you.

But how can you honestly look at a shot like this

And think, "That's ugly." His eyes don't take up half of his head but they're still "big" without looking stupid. He has a distinct chin, his hair is very nicely done and looks like actual hair, he has a nose, a real human-looking nose, and if you look at Dio from the same shot, his side profile gives him a distinct nose instead of a weird snout thing, the shadowing and detail is fantastic...I could go on! I love Araki's close up shots because they're usually so well done and I just don't understand how deep someone has to be in anime hell to look at a shot like that and think "this looks too much like actual people to look nice to me."

Where is that rate my face pic that compares Joseph to the average anime face because that's basically how I feel right now.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Doesn't Jotaro usually say "Star Platinum The World" when he wants to specifically pull out a time stop and not just ghost punch or am I misremembering things?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Can you imagine if Dio actually was able to stop time forever? He'd be so bored.

Just beating up random people and putting cats in people's food and then waiting, like, five hours for them to notice.

Arguably he'd get bored after awhile if he managed to pull off the Heaven thing, considering nothing's a surprise.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
In other news, this screenshot showed up for me again and I completely forgot that it shows an Evil Stand User audition. Imagine the personals ad about this. Christ almighty.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

I hope these edits never stop.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it accurate that Araki didn't make Fugo have to fight Giorno's group because he found the idea of a traitor disgusting? They have that listed on Fugo's JJBA wiki page.

I have it saved somewhere but somebody on tumblr translated the Italian version of a little afterword that was at the end of VA and basically the prospect of Giorno having to fight a traitor and having it be Fugo was getting to him too much, considering that things kept getting nastier and nastier, so he just decided to make Fugo leave, and then recommends reading PHF.

Let me see if I can find it again and add it in to my post.

Edit: Here it is. Make of it what you will, but it's a nice read and Araki is really sweet, gosh. :3:

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 7, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58x4dEA_uA

The internet was made for videos like this.

I'm convinced that this is what he thinks "casual" means. :colbert:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder how Do survived 100 years without blood. Didn't Cars as the Ultimate Lifeform need to eat at least once a year?

By his sheer will to live on anyway just to spite Fate, probably

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Alternatively, I like the idea of Dio surfacing after a hundred years underwater to have Terrence explain video games to him.

Same. Dio interacting with modern technology and absolutely loving it always appealed to me. Imagine him riding on a plane for the first time.

Kurtofan posted:

There's a lot of piss and poo poo in jojo, when you think about it.

he's not even the first character to drink piss.

I have a friend who's trying to get further into JoJo but the only thing that's stopping him is all the toilet humor because he reacts really badly to that kind of thing. How am I gonna break the news to him that Kakyoin makes an evil baby eat his own poop? :(

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, the pig thing and Polnareff licking the toilet would be pretty bad. He'd either need stuff cut or a guide that goes "skip over this, this, and this," which I wouldn't mind making because I've started to read through from the beginning anyway.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

:toot: !!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sekkira posted:

And now I must inflict this on you all again :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UH_V5OtBiY

Voice of an angel.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What is Polly's job anyway?

I'm not totally sure he had one? When you meet him in SDC it's been three years since his sister died and for two of those years he was training both his fencing skills and his stand before he ran into DIO, so I want to say knight errant or something.

I didn't get very far in part 5 yet so I don't know if has an actual job by then or if he's just running around looking for mobsters.

Edit: Unless you're talking about after VA, then he works for Giorno as an advisor, I think.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
My favorite "how I became DIO's minion" story is DIO just finding Anubis after breaking into a museum.

It's my favorite because Hol Horse mentions offhand that DIO has a lot of crap that should probably be in museums, so you just know he's looking for more poo poo like the stone mask or the bow and arrow. Even if you don't find anything like that, they're still worth a lot of money, so it's win-win all around.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

RatHat posted:

Wasn't Jonathan only an Archeologist because of the mask though?

Well, because working on the mask made him feel closer to the mother he never knew, but yeah. It's still better than Dio "I'm going to be a lawyer because money" Brando.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Dio also never actually did any lawyer things, so he's just some punk with a J.D.

Dio studies law and then, like, breaks every law there is.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Honestly, what does Vanilla Ice do when he's working for Dio, considering that Terrance is the "butler".

(This is a rhetorical question, I think we already know the answer to this one, thanks)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
On the downside, Dio's always having to get his doors and walls repaired. He's not made of money, Ice!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
But, if there's a problem, yo, he'll solve it.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I totally would, rhetoric is important in the courtroom and he's pretty intelligent and competent on top of that.

Yeah, there are a lot of moments of dialogue, like when he's talking to Polnareff on the stairs after trolling him, that make me go, "Oh....right, you were gonna be a lawyer." The peace of mind speech makes sense on a surface level if you're too distracted or intimidated to think about it for more than a minute.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

I love that Purple Haze Feedback explored the concept of Fugo's quick temper and how that influenced Purple Haze's appearance. The book has some interesting bits where it talks about how Stand User's psyche affect their Stand. I can't remember the specifics, but I remember something like about how Stands like Bad Company and Harvest mean that User has a more scattered and not quite put together attitude.

Would that count for Mista too, then? Either way, I like when that kind of stuff is brought up. I remember either a bit in part 4 or something about it that went into people who have stands with sectioned off abilities or mini-stands, like Killer Queen and Sheer Heart Attack or Bites the Dust, meant there were some issues too but in a more "sectioning off parts of their personality" kind of way.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Dinostand guy is Dr. Franz Ferdinand, Mrs. Robinson was the guy who had insects in his eyehole. :stonk:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What do you even mean by "Dio's second form?" Do you mean how in Heritage for the Future Dio's sprite doesn't have the jacket, spoiling that he's going to take it off?

Is it his lips inexplicably becoming black?

Maybe he's born with it.

(Maybe it's Vampirism)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Was he even a Doctor.

He's a geologist and paleontologist, so he either got his PhD in both of those or he just likes being called a doctor. :v:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone on MAL said that The World having all of the Joestar's abilities would make sense considering that he was able to heal (via Crazy Diamond) Pucci's messed up foot.

I'm not sure I buy that, but do we ever get an explanation of how Dio did that?

It can't be a Crazy Diamond-like ability because Pucci always had that messed up foot. I just chalked it up to his vampire abilities because it's just boils down to total cellular control over the body and he's so good at that he can just extend it to others. Plus, it looks like he did a laying-on-of-hands in front of a priest, so y'know.

The latest OP was incredible, omg.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 12, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
DavidPro is the devil and we can no longer be friends. :smith:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Million Ghosts posted:

I feel very strongly that Jotaro's outfit in Stone Ocean is him trying to be the hip cool dad and failing miserably.

And yet, it still bothers me on a visceral level that he refuses to wear socks.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
My favorite tidbit from all those links is Araki becoming inspired to write Valentine because of Independence Day and how a fighting president feels pretty "American". I love this immortal fairy man.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'll never get over that Joseph came back from death and, within an instant of grasping the situation, he decides "I am going to gently caress with my grandson so goddamn hard."

He does it to Erina too at his own "funeral" by sneaking up behind her and covering her eyes and I'm amazed she didn't kill him for real on the spot. Never change, Joseph.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"Okay, but what would be really funny?"

Sees a roadroller.

"pERFECT"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I can't wait for the other JoJolion reveal of Rohan's counterpart being completely the same because Rohan is perfect and eternal.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Florida Man and Woman Fight Local Humanoid Plant Life

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You say that now, but you'll be in awe when Jolyne's sex drive is instrumental to defeating the main villain. :colbert:

Well, you know what they say about the Joestar sex drive.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

dogsicle posted:

there's a Hamon joke somewhere in here

Coughs

Fiend Computer posted:

I really want to see what Jotaro dating his ex-wife must of been like. We get so little information about those two.

What I'm saying is a slice of life staring 10 year-old Joylne leading up to her parent's divorce.

This basically sums up what I want for JoJo: extra stuff for everything that happened in between. Jotaro having to juggle grad school and a family, Joseph first learning how to raise a child, Jolyne's childhood, that in-between period for Dio after he escaped imprisonment but before he got his stand and he seemingly didn't have any real goal in mind, more about Jonathan's mother, more about Dio's mother like what we got with Diego's backstory, stuff like that. I know it's not really important to the story overall but it would be nice to see.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Old Joseph and Suzie raising Shizuka. :unsmith:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Xibanya posted:

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it. I'm still a newcomer to JJBA and I'm reading the Viz editions of the manga, which means I haven't looked much at part 4 on. If anyone knows of good examples from any part of the series of unusual panel sizes and layouts, particularly insane poses, gruesome fights, or anything else that might be a good example of Jojo's intensity, let me know.

You've probably been reading Phantom Blood too, but I was looking over it again for things to potentially write about and I was wondering if you were going to bring up Araki's emphasis on "This story has two protagonists", with how the story centers about both Jonathan and Dio, how Araki gives equal screen time to the both of them and their feelings, how that's emphasized through periodic cuts to show close ups of them right to each other as the story goes on, stuff like that.

I noticed that Araki is doing this "new" thing since Steel Ball Run where if a character is completely focused on something else or is really bothered by something (I'm not really sure what it's supposed to signify), there's a white out effect. Like, the character will be simplified and have little to no detail to them at all. I'm sure other people here will know what I'm talking about, but I think it's an interesting effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

littleorv posted:

So, from what I can gather, Rohan is just Araki's self insert character.

In that they're both manga artists, but I like to think of it more like if Michelangelo were a manga artist. That dude was weird and had this pure hatred of the world and everyone in it except for like one other dude.