Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I know part 5's translation is rear end. I still read it in English, though, and I feel I got the gist of it. Which parts of it are especially bad? And on that note, is the French translation better? I'm tempted to reread it in another language if it improves dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I wished all his jokes got some sort of explanation at the end of the chapter because either they're forced and weird or totally lost in translation. The one Diego makes sounds like it would've been amazing in a terrible way judging by the translator's note, but some are just left as this weird nonsensical translation and I always wonder what the Japanese pun was.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Begemot posted:

I thought it was translated pretty well, it's just a really lame joke. Which makes it hilarious when combined with Diego's incredibly smug look. I wish got more of him hanging out with Johnny and Gyro.

Oh no, I mean, I like Diego's. That one I "got". But then there's some Gyro makes that are completely nonsensical and could've used some sort of translator's note, even if it's just "Yeah, it's that bad" so I know I'm not missing anything.
Also I thought Diego was cool and even understandable/relateable in a weird way. Dude had a messed up childhood that basically formed his whole identity, and then a bunch of assholes try to screw him over during races. And as far as tritagonists go, there's worse deals than "Recurring rival who ends up fighting the big bad and almost wins".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MonsterEnvy posted:

The first showing of King Crimson like D4C does not really make sense with what it can do. But Narancia does work with what he can do. Here are lovely pictures showing how it worked.

Aka King Crimson uses it's super speed to quickly pop out of Mista Trish and toss Narancia into the air and skips time once he is in the air and retreats back into Mista Trish. He then repeatedly skips time so no one notices Narancia until he is fully dead. As they will continue to do what they would have done during the Skipped 10 seconds, but because they are not aware of what happens not they would not notice something like Narancia flying or screaming. They then discover his dead body.

Why would he have to skip time after throwing N? Couldn't KC See the timeline like this with his precognition?
I see an opportunity -> [I pop out to Narancia and grab him -> I throw him into the fence] -> Dead Narancia impaled on fence
And then cut out the parts between brackets? It's shown he can do stuff during the time that gets cut out, everyone just "forgets" about that part.

But KC is confusing at first because of the whole "What you hit was your future self" nonsense he pulls on Bucellati. That entire fight is just "Wait, what is... How did he...?" the first time reading through. When you get to the actual later fights with him he gets internally consistent but his introduction is just a ride of poo poo that contradicts what the series later establishes as his abilities.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Daxing Dan posted:

I vaguely recall this part making no sense at all in the translation, but Diego's jokes were actually a pair of really bad puns that go something like this in the original script:

Q: A pack of cougars and a pack of snakes were blocking the way. Which one do you think let me through?
A: It was the snakes moved out of the way for me. Hahahaha, get it?*
P.S. Oh, and then later, the cougars attacked us because they thought we were tasty.**

*TL Note: "A venomous snake" is dokuhebi in Japanese, while "A snake that moves out of the way" is "michi o doku hebi." Hilarious, right?
**TL Note: "Tasty" and "horse" are also sorta like homophones in Japanese.

Deltasquid posted:

Oh no, I mean, I like Diego's. That one I "got". But then there's some Gyro makes that are completely nonsensical and could've used some sort of translator's note, even if it's just "Yeah, it's that bad" so I know I'm not missing anything.
Also I thought Diego was cool and even understandable/relateable in a weird way. Dude had a messed up childhood that basically formed his whole identity, and then a bunch of assholes try to screw him over during races. And as far as tritagonists go, there's worse deals than "Recurring rival who ends up fighting the big bad and almost wins".

It's Gyro's jokes that confuse me. Diego's one is the example I used of translator's notes explaining it well. Might be why I like Diego so much, his bad puns are right up my alley.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Prison Warden posted:

It happened. After reading three complete parts and all of Jojolion in like 3 weeks my brain has finally gotten Jojo poisoning. I had a dream, as a part of which, I came up with three distinct Stands, complete with weird robotic designs, bizarre specific powers and band/song reference names. Time to book a hospital appointment.

From this point on, everything in your life will be seen through the lens of Jojo. See someone posing? It's a Jojo. Something really weird or specific in the news? This must be the work of a stand user. That song you like? Try to imagine what kind of abilities its standified form would give a person.

There's no turning back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still want that Part where the Jojo is Jesus in 33 CE.

Joshua, son of Joseph, nicknamed "Jojo" by his buddies.

Act 1 is him beating up cool stand users and recruiting them as his disciples.