Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

PeaceDiner posted:

For anybody interested in JoJo merch, there's an awesome blog called "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure...IS ART" that showcases both popular and more obscure JoJo- or Araki-related merch, magazine scans, etc. The layout is sorta a pain in the rear end and can only be viewed one entry at a time, so I suggest using their image list or going in a specific tag.

An interesting product I found on the blog was a JoJo typing game. The disc's design is pretty rad, I have to say.

Apologies if this has been posted before.

The death 13 figure that showed up on there looks nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

WickedHate posted:

I think this might be one of the best pieces of JoJo fan art ever.

Yes! That one is great.

I'm a sucker for Josuke stuff and came across this the other day and am irritated that I can't source it/look for more of their work because the Twitter connected with it is dead. Though as I type, I realize I should try it on tineye when on an actual computer again.

(sorry if fanart annoys you folks, oops)

e: whooops that was enormous, I didn't realize it was that big cuz I was phonepostin'

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 28, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

setafd posted:

I love the idea that Araki was sick as hell of Jotaro and Star Platinum and really just wanted to write about HORSES

It's simultaneously really funny and maddening if you pick up SBR right away after finishing stone ocean.

And yes, stone free looks ridiculous but I like its ability and I like Jolyne, too.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Araki falls into the same power level trap he'd been deliberately trying to avoid for years. Among other problems.

I'll prod since your longer posts are good (assuming there's much to say here anyway, maybe there isn't), what on earth do you suppose tempted him to do that after saying repeatedly that he didn't like that sort of thing?

I sorta figure if he was tired of Jotaro and Co he could have just written other stuff anyway. Obviously he kinda figures some stuff out as he goes along in a story but has he said much about how carefully he plots things out?

Since the interaction between characters interests me as much if not more than big ole stand battles it felt like a lot that could have been explored just wasn't, probably because he was sick of it, but who knows.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

This morning Jolyne went up against a jail guard whose ability meant she could only remember five things at a time, now she's up against a dude who can just casually make fictional characters all around the world come alive and fight for him while he's chilling in an airplane with a drink. It's all very weird and appropriately Araki - I totally get why some people love it - but that colossal leap in power has always felt very disjointed to me.

Yeah, it's this deal where it's certainly plausible in terms of Araki behavior. I'd been warned that it jumped like that but it was still just very jarring.

quote:

That con artist in Part 4 who uses guilt to pressure people into doing what he wants. He's way more interesting to me than a guy who can just invoke memories of the Earth to do his bidding without a catch, no strings attached. Any series can just drum up impossibly strong bad guys for the heroes to defeat; I like Araki's focus on how both sides struggle for the results they're after.
Hahah, Tamami's stand is great. That's the stuff that makes me really love Part 4; Stand Users using their abilities but not in a "take control of the world" type of way, just sort of going around with it doing whatever.

Anyway, all of that was great and not too long because I like reading long effort Jojo posts. Thanks.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

He probably tried to con Rohan but couldn't make him feel guilty.

Hahahhaha

Several chapters of Tamami setting up various guilt traps, growing more and more desperate as they fail miserably, because you can't possibly get Rohan to give a gently caress about anything else outside his door, only to have Rohan eventually just scream at him until he's reduced to a quivering mess.

I liked Rohan's list of phone numbers in general and just like to assume that he called Jotaro regularly to complain about Josuke's terrible behavior.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Race Realists posted:

"no anime, no life"

What, you don't want one of these bad boys hanging up at your place? Sheesh.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

It's an idea I've tossed around, but I've never committed to it.

Do it

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Living, breathing things capable of assuming poses no one can achieve. Nice save, Araki.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Beef Chief posted:

I wouldn't write off Part 3 getting a JoJonium release over here, tbh.

Yeah I was surprised to read that cuz I was sort of assuming it was a given? I mean, I hope so. :(

Silver2195 posted:

I've been rereading Part 4, and I've noticed two odd things:

• It seems like every villain makes a big deal about trying to avoid a direct confrontation with Jotaro because "he can stop time for one or two seconds!" What's unclear is how they know this in the first place.

Haha that stuck out to me, too.

But forgiving people who fully intended to kill you not two minutes before seems perfectly JoJo-ish.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Fiend Computer posted:

I hope to be half the dad kira is someday

I think the same artist who did that also made this and it makes me laugh

Also since I've abandoned the pretense of being a cool, non-collectible owning adult I'm starting to buy up Medicos figures and while I can see why they went with what they did for Silver Chariot for Pt 5, drat if I don't want a Silver Chariot Requiem figure.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 10, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Naerasa posted:

The only Jojo figure I have is the Statue Legend of Shadow Dio, but it's okay to only have that one figure because it's painfully fabulous. Just look how low his pants are!

:pray: Yeah, that one's excellent.

Good Crazy Diamond, too.

For a while, Amazon kept suggesting a Pt 4 Jotaro backpack to me and I couldn't decide whether I should feel insulted by the suggestion or not. I feel like I'm not there-there yet in terms of Jojo purchases.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

pretty sure that gyro is everyone's boyfriend
Not even up for debate, really.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Zeruel posted:

This thread needs to be Made-In-Heaven'd. Y'all motherfuckers need Pucci.

Incredible levels of Jojo sin taking place here. All because one person had an incredibly wrong opinion, too.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It is making me sad that none of these husband lists have Okuyasu on them.

You rang?

I saw two really adorable valentine's day comics with okuyasu today but I'm not sharing fanart with you sinners right now

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Please share the Okuyasu fanart.
Whooops, the second one was sad. I lied.

this one's too long to put up in here

I can post this garbage all day.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Zeruel posted:

Holy fuckin' poo poo why do they have to put their fingers in everything.

I saw a Minions Jojo thing the other day. Ironic Minionposting is a thing of course but I was not appreciative.

Also, an update to that comic posted before that sounds exactly like I'd expect Kira to sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEjFV2Futi8

When is part 4 going to happen so I can hear mona lisa boners being discussed. When???

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 12, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I simultaneously marvel at the fact that Araki will include stuff like that and think "gently caress no I'm not going to think about this, I'm moving on. Anyway,"

I just now got around to picking up Rohan at the Louvre so I have that to look forward to this weekend. Though honestly, if it doesn't feature Rohan aggressively playing rock paper scissors with a kid then I'm just not sure it's gonna work out for me.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ascalapha odorata posted:

I just now got around to picking up Rohan at the Louvre

I really, really loved that story. I sort of wish it had been stretched out a tiny bit more at the end but better to end early than draw it out too much.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 9 should be a brother-sister sibling Jojo team.

YES

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Aurain posted:

The twins as a pair are Aphex Twin(s). Their names are Schkotty 1 and 2

Hahaha good, I love it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

jolyne is always a good contender

Balls Deep Kujo

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

WrightOfWay posted:

The best part about part 3 and onward is that non-JoJo characters actually get to win fights.

I started typing 'except in part 3 it's polnareff and jojo winning most' then remembered that pol starts poo poo constantly but doesn't finish it nearly so often.

(I actually like kakyoin/polnareff a little more than jotaro so pol's idiocy is endearing).

But yeah, gradually Araki sees the utility of really giving characters a good at-bat or two. Maybe I'm not giving part 3 enough credit there but so often it ends with Jotaro batting cleanup. I'm done with the baseball metaphors thanks

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Naerasa posted:

Jotaro gets clean-up a lot because at that point none of the other stands had really satisfying finishers (except maybe Polnareff). That changes as the series progresses because a) stands get more interesting, and b) more stands get stand cries. Stand cries are extremely important.

Yeah, you're right about the finishers.

I'm looking forward to the anime thread responses the first time josuke punches through an innocent person to get to the bad guy. If last time around was a carnival of 'the last JoJo character was better' maybe that puts a stop to it right off the bat.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Kakyoin finally gets around to inventing Twenty Meter Radius Emerald Splash and look what happens, he would have been ebtter off not bothering

:smith:

bbbbut he figured it out, and that bought Jotaro... something...

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm pretty sure I saw this here first but I'll repost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHP2Z3go8Is

My Jotaro figure came in and I cannot tell if they accidentally sent me the same head twice or if the difference in expressions is so subtle that I can't pick it out - such is the nature of Jotaro Kujo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

[*]One strange bit: The man on the tower says he's been there for 3 years, so Superfly can't be the result of getting shot by the Arrow. I guess he still counts as one of the 6 Stand users Kira's dad mentioned because he still recruited him?

Huh, I didn't think about that.

Though honestly anytime I try to really consider the timeline for this stuff my head starts to hurt and I have to remind myself that I'm reading a bunch of stuff that was originally spaced way, way out so of course he just forgot details/decided they didn't matter.

When I was reading Rohan at the Louvre recently I started getting very confused about the timeline for Rohan's abilities, cuz I thought he got them from the arrow in Morioh more 'recently' but then he has them when he's a teenager in the book? I dunno, maybe I'm missing something there that I'll figure out during the re-read. I'm sticking with the anime thread pace so it'll be a bit before I get there.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I thought Rohan was a natural stand user, but he mentions getting shot by the arrow when he first appears, right?
Edit: Just checked the chapter he first uses it in and he doesn't. My bad.
I was SO SURE about the arrow thing that I even went to the jojo wikia to see if that's where I'd gotten this and... it's not mentioned there, either. I guess I just assumed. Whoops!

Thanks for checking up on that for me, if I'd gone looking myself I would have been sucked into reading and then I'd end up way ahead of the group.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I really hope all that work converts some people on part 5. It's a night and day difference for those grateful dead chapters, I think. Chapter 4 in particular is just a delight.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Naerasa posted:

I also like to imagine Thoth decides to give the most dick predictions possible on purpose. Also not revealing valuable information until it feels like it is some real bitchiness too.

I like that sort of check on it, though. Like if it's an ability that operates on it own, it gives it a tiny sense of personality.

Was it in here or one of the other places I read where someone pointed out that Thoth was still ultimately right about Jotaro, kinda sorta?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Awkward as it could be I don't really remember any part of it being confusing. The new translation is nice, though.

I think I've got the gist of it though I'm actually more confused by gold experience than king crimson. But with the translation it's definitely more that the personality is missing and the poignant stuff at the end just becomes weird mush.

Polnareff is injured in 99 and he's on his own when it happens and after because it's the mob right? Like he'd been working with jotaro through the 90s on arrow poo poo but he dealt with the field work himself? Just trying to piece together that timeline better.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite thing about Dio is just Diego from Part 7. He's cool.

Fair enough! Dio and Pucci is mine possibly. I have an Agenda.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Dzhay posted:

Just finished reading part 5, Jojopinions follow:

I loved it most of the way through, even though GioGio forgot about his stand's most useful ability (and the sped-up perception thing), wasn't too keen on it becoming a discount Crazy Diamond about 3/4 of the way through - the ending was a bit of a mess though. Also, if you're going to have a power as complicated as Diavolo's, at least be consistent with it.

While I'm moaning: too many stands had the power to make something become soft.

In all: good, but no part 4. Was at its best when people were resolving mundane problems with totally sensible tactics, such as turning one of their teeth into a jellyfish.

When I've said before that gold experience confuses me it's more because abilities ate forgotten or morph in odd ways.

The ending was definitely odd. I chalk a lot of it up to translation- that sort of epilogue with the stone would have been much more poignant had it been translated better.

But I love Vento because the gang is fun and the stands are interesting. Bruno and Mista's stands in particular? Also, I love Risotto Nero and having Polnareff come back was nice.

I find that rereading chapters as they are translated makes it more fun.

I know there are folks who aren't as into the colored part four stuff, but the guy typesetting for that is partway through highway star now and boy does that look nice in color. Crazy Diamond's stand cries look cool.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked the part where giorno decided the best way to deal with a guy that can freeze everything is to drive into some water

Sometimes when JoJo battles start and protagonists make bonkers decisions I just sit back and think well ok, there's some weird weakness they've somehow divined that we can't see yet but uhh yeah when he went into the water all i could think is 'this idiot is going to become a gang star eh?'

A couple components would be better had they been fleshed out more, like Doppio (though again, that could be translation). As funny as it is to have a man in a turtle explaining multiple personalities, that left me understanding less than I had before.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The time skip stuff I 'get' inasmuch as I think anyone can get it, and Doppio is basically 'this is what happens when you have multiple personalities AND a Stand," right? Like it's a Stand manifestation of his old self?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Forktoss posted:

I like King Crimson

though I know that's a controversial stand

I think it's more interesting than the world is but the time Stands are just sort of... I dunno, you give the bad guy something that big and -maybe this is controversial!- you let them opt out of creative uses for their stand. It makes that big finish less interesting to me than, say, watching Bruno break himself apart in the train battle.

The design is one that legitimately looks scary to me, though (so does D4C). It's one I like the design of but care less about the ability, whereas i like sticky fingers a lot as an ability but care less about the design.

And thanks, red bones. You're right, i think- i mean, that's what Polnareff explained it as, too. I just love it that my brain has a hard time fully embracing an idea that has at least a remote connection to reality because it finds the Stand explanation more plausible.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hahahahahah I would not be surprised.

Did we get an actual release date yet? (nope doesn't look like it)

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That looks like a bootleg.

Seriously.

Though I like it that I shrugged when I found out it wasn't blu-ray, heard the dubbed stuff and thought 'sure ok, this is fine' but oh my god bootleg-looking menu screens? How dare they. Hopefully it is fake :gonk:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Instead of buying the Jojo anime, I will most likely just keep buying the manga.

I will support the JoJo Empire by buying figurines and making them kiss.

Why is Okuyasu so loving expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

My biggest issue is just that I don't like the art they picked for the menu or the cover.

Otherwise, if it's functional, whatever.

Yeah I mean of course, it's just kind of ridiculous that it's *so* low effort.

If there's stock somewhere I wonder if that means Amazon will get a date soon? I want to re-watch. :3