Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
there is a 0% chance that Yoshi's New Yarn will be bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There hasn't been a good Yoshi game since the original Yoshi's Island though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

There hasn't been a good Yoshi game since the original Yoshi's Island though.
But that's literally just saying "Yoshi's Story was bad."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
there hasn't been a bad yarn game though

also, Yoshi (ヨッシー Yosshī?) /ˈjoʊʃi/ or /ˈjɒʃi/, once romanized as Yossy,[1][2] full name T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas,[3][4

haha

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

But that's literally just saying "Yoshi's Story was bad."
It's true.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yoshi's Island DS was fun

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodychill posted:

Yoshi's Island DS was fun

there was one level that was impossible but before that it was pretty great yeah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

precision posted:

for reals?

yep

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

So I finished Invisible Inc. t's really good; shorter than I expected, though I'm sure that ties into the procedural nature. I'll probably replay it on harder difficulties.

Someone needs to get the Shadowrun Returns guys to abandon this Jagged Alliance Online(?) engine and use Invisible Inc as a base for the next one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stux posted:

i think its worse because it is made by literal neo-nazis

whoa hey they're not nazis

they're fascists

totally different

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Who would have ever suspected that this bad looking shovelware game that gained notoriety for its own manufactured controversy was, in the end, bad looking shovelware. But enough about the new Obsidian tank game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

that's not even a real smw level

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Who would have ever suspected that this bad looking shovelware game that gained notoriety for its own manufactured controversy was, in the end, bad looking shovelware. But enough about Pillars of Eternity

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
i will fuckin kill u

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm not even mad, I just feel sorry for you.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the worst feeling is when you put someone in front of a truly amazing game and all you get out of them is a bored stare and "ok now what"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Excels posted:

the worst feeling is when you put someone in front of a truly amazing game and all you get out of them is a bored stare and "ok now what"

I've been wanting to introduce my wife to Super Metroid but I don't know how I'd handle it if this is what happened

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Excels posted:

I showed a friend Bloodborne and he asked if he could try that destiny game again :eng99:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:ssh: i've got 190 hours logged in pillars of eternity

to be fair, 20 of those are watching loading screens

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Is there a least worst 'gaming news' site that I can throw in my RSS reader or are they all terrible and I should just stick with forums/IRC for my gaming news?

I used to like Joystiq alright before they folded, http://www.vg247.com seems to be the best I've come across lately, but the bar seems pretty low.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
The sharktank thread is good.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

theultimo posted:

The sharktank thread is good.

Ehhhh. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Awesome! posted:

dont play mmos

A-all games are ... are good :smithicide:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Parker Lewis posted:

Is there a least worst 'gaming news' site that I can throw in my RSS reader or are they all terrible and I should just stick with forums/IRC for my gaming news?

I used to like Joystiq alright before they folded, http://www.vg247.com seems to be the best I've come across lately, but the bar seems pretty low.
I follow some youtube channels like polaris (for the daily bite) for news, and total biscuit for "first look", jim sterling for overall analysis on the industry.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Adam Bowen posted:

i will fuckin kill u

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

codenameFANGIO posted:

loophole: mmos arent even games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StashAugustine posted:

loophole: mmos arent even games

when u think about it, life itself is a game, and all video games are just minigames

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

codenameFANGIO posted:

Superman 64 isn't a game it's a torture device

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Superman 64 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

It actually was

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
We've got a super hero known for fighting the toughest, biggest assholes in a whole comic universe. I say we make him fly around collecting things.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Adam Bowen posted:

I've been wanting to introduce my wife to Super Metroid but I don't know how I'd handle it if this is what happened

you'd handle it with divorce

or a marriage counselor if you're feeling optimistic

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's not Super Metroid, but I showed a few episodes of Game Center CX to a friend of mine, and he seemed rather apathetic to it. One week later, he asked me to bring over more episodes when I stopped by.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

bloodychill posted:

We've got a super hero known for fighting the toughest, biggest assholes in a whole comic universe. I say we make him fly around collecting things.

It was a buggy licensed game in the 90s, and they were all of the same subpar quality.

The game sticks out because it was attempting something new instead of being another generic platformer. If you ignore the awful pilotwings "fly through the rings" bullshit, you can see that it was basically prototyping open world outdoors missions.

Had the game not had time limits or opened with anything other than the rings poo poo, it would have been merely forgotten instead of a legendary badgame.

I'd argue that a game that tries something new and fails is better than a rehash or a game using dated concepts like DNF.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Level Slide posted:

It's not Super Metroid, but I showed a few episodes of Game Center CX to a friend of mine, and he seemed rather apathetic to it. One week later, he asked me to bring over more episodes when I stopped by.

my girlfriend hates doom :(

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Broseph Brostar posted:

It was a buggy licensed game in the 90s, and they were all of the same subpar quality.

The game sticks out because it was attempting something new instead of being another generic platformer. If you ignore the awful pilotwings "fly through the rings" bullshit, you can see that it was basically prototyping open world outdoors missions.

Had the game not had time limits or opened with anything other than the rings poo poo, it would have been merely forgotten instead of a legendary badgame.

I'd argue that a game that tries something new and fails is better than a rehash or a game using dated concepts like DNF.

That stupid 7UP spot game was actually fun, off the top of my head. I'd also argue that game that a person enjoys regardless of reusing dated concepts is better than a game that tries something new but fails miserably. The game that comes later and takes that new stuff and makes it enjoyable is a good game.

New Super Mario Bros is a good game that is all recycled. Spiderman 2 is the good game that came out of the ashes of a lovely experimental game.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

I appreciate this argument and it makes me think of Trespasser. Bad game that was a chore to play, but super ambitious and interesting environment, physics, scale, AI etc. Even the bendy arm was kind of neat conceptually. Failures that shoot for the stars are more interesting than dull middle of the road games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Superman 64 was also a buggy mess where half the time you died or failed randomly and the game was a confusing labyrinth of lovely corridors and bad collision (when you weren't flying through rings). It's beyond bad level and game design.

• Locked thread