Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

HR sucks, Adam Jensen's rear end is woefully inadequate compared to Snake's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

The commentary for Human Revolution is pretty good but the commentary for Panchaea is kind of sad because a lot of it is apologizing or explaining what they were going for and how disappointed they were with the final product. There's a whole bit about how they hate how the "zombies" turned out because they wanted to have people that were panicked and hallucinating but since it was the last part of the game they worked on and they didn't have the time or resources to really build up a unique AI just for that one part of the game they wound up just bring crazy zombie people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR2sxfImoM4&t=220s

drat, that really is kind of depressing. Like every other commentary node in that video is "We think x didn't turn out as good as we wanted" or "we didn't have time to do x so it turned out pretty bad" and it's like man, that must suck as someone who puts months, sometimes years' worth of effort into a huge game like Deus Ex.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

drat, that really is kind of depressing. Like every other commentary node in that video is "We think x didn't turn out as good as we wanted" or "we didn't have time to do x so it turned out pretty bad" and it's like man, that must suck as someone who puts months, sometimes years' worth of effort into a huge game like Deus Ex.
It seems to be typical for most games. Sooner or later you hit a deadline without managing everything you wanted. If a game is lucky, being over-ambitious doesn't stop the finished product from being a cohesive whole.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Really, that's true for films, novels, paintings, whatever. You don't ever really finish it, you just decide when to give up on it based on when your deadline is, whether that's assigned by you or somebody else.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Bicyclops posted:

Really, that's true for films, novels, paintings, whatever. You don't ever really finish it, you just decide when to give up on it based on when your deadline is, whether that's assigned by you or somebody else.

this is the story of terry gilliam's entire career

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's the story of everyone's entire career. I know six people who have published novels in the past year, and every single one of them wants to tweak language when they do a reading because when you're doing something creative, there is no way to be done with it except to say "I am done with this now."

That's not to say that some things aren't unfinished to the point of being broken or severely hurt, just that you can work something forever and it is kind of maddening.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Nasgate posted:

Tried playing Human Revolution last year finally. Hot loving garbage. Either it just hasn't held up well, or playing too much MGS made the horrible stealth unbearable.

I beat the first level non-lethal, in spite of the game doing its best to prevent you from doing so. And just never came back after i got bored in the tower before the next mission.

Bad writing, very limited toolset for stealth from the begining which seemingly urges you to gun dudes down. And overall boring rear end level design.

HR gets huge negative props for deciding that CQC should have a charge limit. Because punching dudes hard with your augmented, metal body takes AAA batteries.

"This game that I played for 15 minutes has terrible level design" - some retard

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

When devs don't have a real deadline it's not uncommon for them to keep adding all kinds of poo poo to it (feature creep) so that it will be 'better', except they apparently don't realize that you'll practically never release a game that way. It happened to Bioshock: Infinite where Ken Levine's publishers were like "hey your previous games did great so this time go do whatever you want" and he spent 3 years making great art assets but he still had no real idea what the game would look like. The publishers hired someone else to make sure it would actually be released in some reasonable timeframe. The team was scrambling for 2 years to make the best use of everything they had created thus far.

It's no surprise that the end result was visually impressive, but otherwise mediocre, because by that point they had squandered a lot of time to iterate on game design, storyline, etc. to test concepts out and see if it actually works. It happens in a lot of games to some degree, which was apparently also the case with HR towards the end. See also the later dungeons in Dark Souls 1, etc.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 1, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, even if you're creating for video games, you have to kill your darlings sometimes, and some of the reason that a lot of people here complain about AAA developers is that they no longer have anybody telling them to do that. That's particularly true when, for something that is developed as collaborative media, one of authors achieves enough quasi-celebrity that nobody can tell them "no" anymore, and Ken Levine is definitely a good example.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, even if you're creating for video games, you have to kill your darlings sometimes, and some of the reason that a lot of people here complain about AAA developers is that they no longer have anybody telling them to do that. That's particularly true when, for something that is developed as collaborative media, one of authors achieves enough quasi-celebrity that nobody can tell them "no" anymore, and Ken Levine is definitely a good example.

StarCitizen.txt

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Tried playing Human Revolution last year finally. Hot loving garbage. Either it just hasn't held up well, or playing too much MGS made the horrible stealth unbearable.

I beat the first level non-lethal, in spite of the game doing its best to prevent you from doing so. And just never came back after i got bored in the tower before the next mission.

Bad writing, very limited toolset for stealth from the begining which seemingly urges you to gun dudes down. And overall boring rear end level design.

HR gets huge negative props for deciding that CQC should have a charge limit. Because punching dudes hard with your augmented, metal body takes AAA batteries.

HR is about twenty times better than any trash poo poo MGS game sorry you 're a dumb idiot gently caress

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*adds another tally to Stux's pleas for attention chalkboard*

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Ekster posted:

When devs don't have a real deadline it's not uncommon for them to keep adding all kinds of poo poo to it (feature creep) so that it will be 'better', except they apparently don't realize that you'll practically never release a game that way. It happened to Bioshock: Infinite where Ken Levine's publishers were like "hey your previous games did great so this time go do whatever you want" and he spent 3 years making great art assets but he still had no real idea what the game would look like. The publishers hired someone else to make sure it would actually be released in some reasonable timeframe. The team was scrambling for 2 years to make the best use of everything they had created thus far.

It's no surprise that the end result was visually impressive, but otherwise mediocre, because by that point they had squandered a lot of time to iterate on game design, storyline, etc. to test concepts out and see if it actually works. It happens in a lot of games to some degree, which was apparently also the case with HR towards the end. See also the later dungeons in Dark Souls 1, etc.

Binfinite was actually a result of Ken Levine taking a finished game and then saying "actually, let's completely change it and also I'm writing everything and it's coming out next year." Trailers about a year and a half before the game's release are hugely different from the finished product and show off a game that seems a lot more tonally in line with Bioshock 1, but it was pretty much all scrapped so that Ken could shove in a D-level sci-fi plot at the last minute because ??? Video Game Auteurs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All Bioshock games are bad

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

all Deus Ex games are cool and good, including IW. if you didnt help the Omar youre subhuman scum

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually they're all pretty good. Bioshock Infinite is probably the least good out of all of them by an extremely wide margin but it's not a bad game. It is a good example though of how sometimes a video game's story being mediocre can drag down the entire experience.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Actually they're all pretty good. Bioshock Infinite is probably the least good out of all of them by an extremely wide margin but it's not a bad game. It is a good example though of how sometimes a video game's story being mediocre can drag down the entire experience.

the other two bioshocks are fine games, but infinite is most definitely a bad game. the gameplay itself is hosed and a poo poo implementation of the older games, and the story is absolute garbage

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno I thought the gameplay was not nearly as bad as people say it is. The only thing I didn't really like is that the not-plasmids don't have much variation but I didn't use much besides the stun one and the fire one anyway and those didn't stop being fun or effective so I wasn't all that bothered.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it was extremely boring, just like offensively dull

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will give you that. There really wasn't a lot of enemy variation and the handymen were a crap replacement for big daddies so I can see how that might make it dull. I guess I just have a high tolerance for repetitive gameplay, which I will admit Infinite was. I just don't think it was so repetitive as to be bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bioshock Infinite is a terrible game, it would have honestly been better if they had just not included combat and had it basically be a AAA Gone Home where you just walk around checking out this wacky place and listening to cool music. Like that's literally what Infinite IS for large chunks of the beginning, and I think we can all agree the beginning through to the Beach Zone is the best part of Infinite.

the worst part is that loving boss in the graveyard, gently caress that fight forever t:mad:t

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like i dont usually like the argument of games being made simpler and for babies but with infinite that is pretty much literally what happened and it shows. even that couldve worked, it couldve still been a fun game and just v linear but the combat was dull, the powers were forgettable, the rail stuff sucked

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Gliding around on the rails in that one big open area with like 10 different rails going all over the place was hella fun

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

It seems to be typical for most games. Sooner or later you hit a deadline without managing everything you wanted. If a game is lucky, being over-ambitious doesn't stop the finished product from being a cohesive whole.

The HR commentary is mostly impressive for how honest they are. They not only point out their own mistakes and regrets but they poke fun at their publisher (there's a whole node dedicated to how many calls and meetings they had to make just to get SquareEnix to sign off on the Final Fantasy poster in Pritchard's office) and even lightly criticise the original Deus Ex for things like every other character in the game getting access to your top-secret communication channel with JC never seeming to notice or care.

And in The Hive there a part where they're all cracking up over the Chinese Gut Punch and Safety Dance youtube videos, it's adorable.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

precision posted:

I think we can all agree the beginning through to the Beach Zone is the best part of Infinite.

I'd extend it to exactly the point where you hit the ground in Finkton after getting kicked out of the blimp. Everything before it was very fun and good, but pretty much every point after that is the game making GBS threads the bed in new and unforeseen ways.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

"This game that I played for 15 minutes has terrible level design" - some retard

I know this is an Adam Bowen post, but it brings up the same stupid rear end argument I've seen elsewhere.

Fact: Every game gets worse the later in it, because they're rushing to meet deadlines.

So if the first hour of a game is poo poo, you can easily assume the rest is garbage.

On the Bioshock Topic: Infinite would have been a great game if it wasn't trying to be Bioshock. The airship fight sequence would have been rad if it wasn't Bioshock gameplay for example. Halo, Destiny, or even CoD would have worked better with many of the good set pieces.

Infinite is also frustrating because the story is so drat similar to 2 just with a lovely "twist" instead of being something actually new.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nasgate posted:

I know this is an Adam Bowen post, but it brings up the same stupid rear end argument I've seen elsewhere.

Fact: Every game gets worse the later in it, because they're rushing to meet deadlines.

So if the first hour of a game is poo poo, you can easily assume the rest is garbage.

On the Bioshock Topic: Infinite would have been a great game if it wasn't trying to be Bioshock. The airship fight sequence would have been rad if it wasn't Bioshock gameplay for example. Halo, Destiny, or even CoD would have worked better with many of the good set pieces.

Infinite is also frustrating because the story is so drat similar to 2 just with a lovely "twist" instead of being something actually new.

Do you think every game is made starting with the first level and the last thing they do in development is the final boss battle?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nasgate posted:

There are a lot of Nintendo games that are completely the other way, because the early portions of the game are devoted either to straight tutorial or to simple levels designed to get you used to the basic gameplay mechanics, and then the game takes off after the first hour.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nasgate posted:

That is generally true but the first hour of Deus Ex HR is a borderline masterstroke of a tutorial because they have you use all of the game's mechanics without stopping the gameplay to force you to do it and therefore it's not poo poo so that argument does not apply. Also, video games are not made in chronological order.

Also also, consider that it is you who are the dumbass.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The plot in Infinite was boring up until it hit the whole parallel worlds alternate dimensions bullshit

then it became less boring, but it was so batshit stupid that it didn't actually improve

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nasgate posted:

do you even understand how games are made and/or work

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like taking crash bandicoot as an example at it has a v well documented development process, the first levels in the game were made closer to the end of production, whereas the last area contains the very first levels they made

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Miyamoto explained in a Mario Maker video that when he was design Super Mario Bros 1 he designs a level and then steps backward 4 or 5 levels to figure out how to teach players how to be better so they're acclimated for the new challenge.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

That is generally true but the first hour of Deus Ex HR is a borderline masterstroke of a tutorial because they have you use all of the game's mechanics without stopping the gameplay to force you to do it and therefore it's not poo poo so that argument does not apply. Also, video games are not made in chronological order.

Also also, consider that it is you who are the dumbass.

Lmao "masterstroke" is terrible AI, a poorly made map, not being able to climb chest high objects, and almost completely restricting you to lethal means because gently caress your choice, you don't get ammo. Also the horridness that is the cqc limitations.

In Training posted:

Do you think every game is made starting with the first level and the last thing they do in development is the final boss battle?

No, but i know QA testers generally do not play through the entire game. Neither do initial game reviewers. So a polished front end is both easier to have and more important for release sales.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Lmao "masterstroke" is terrible AI, a poorly made map, not being able to climb chest high objects, and almost completely restricting you to lethal means because gently caress your choice, you don't get ammo. Also the horridness that is the cqc limitations.

No, but i know QA testers generally do not play through the entire game. Neither do initial game reviewers. So a polished front end is both easier to have and more important for release sales.

what loving game were you playing honestly, because nothing you're saying sounds remotely like HR. at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nasgate posted:

You're right, the first part of the game is what the vast overwhelming majority of people who play it will see and will see most often. The opening of the game being polished is definitely important. But what you said before that, which In Training was responding to, was "Fact: Every game gets worse the later in it, because they're rushing to meet deadlines." which is not even close to the same sentiment. Your goalpost moving is only reinforcing the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about, friendo.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
ummm, HR was really easy to do non-lethal how bad are you at videogames

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dat one portagee posted:

ummm, HR was really easy to do non-lethal how bad are you at videogames

seriously

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

help i can't run up to a guy when hes alone and press q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stealth takedowns taking energy was pretty terrible, but it didn't really drag down the game too much. It was terrible though

• Locked thread