Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

And don’t disable UAC no matter how annoying you find it during the initial barrage of installs. Actually it’s not a bad idea to take your day to day account out of the administrators group, and force yourself to type in the password for a second account whenever you need administrative access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Install uBlock Origin on whichever browser you choose to use. Bitwarden is the password manager I recommend, it supports all major browsers and has great mobile apps (though they don't support passkeys at present). It can generate random, complex passwords up to 128 characters in length.

Use two factor authentication on any account that supports it (including whatever password manager you choose), and use password-less accounts on any that support it.

As a rule, I always format and perform a clean install of Windows. The Windows 11 Media Creation Tool allows you to download the current version. Make sure your BIOS and drivers are all up to date. Many manufacturers will bundle their own driver update software but I personally prefer just to download drivers etc. directly from the manufacturer's website.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 5, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Subjunctive posted:

- install a Russian keyboard so that their malware will ignore you

Is this a joke/meme? Or is this real?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

it's a dumb thing that some malware check for but i wouldn't go and do it for random user setups

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

After 17 years of only owning apple products I'm going back to PC (ASUS ROG Zephyrus m16, because it should play Baldur's gate 3).
Baldur's gate 3 has a mac version and is also on Geforce Now

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

From what I gather I should disable any and all remote access/remote desktop and continue to use two factor authentication for everything. Basic googling says that newer windows operating systems have as good of antivirus as any built in (for whatever good that's worth). Also device encryption, but I don't really understand what that does for me. Is that important because everything just gets sent to cloud storage without having a choice and I want it secure out there? Other reasons?

Main recommendation would be: DON'T touch any system setting and DON'T run any security/privacy scripts without checking that they do what they claim..

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magnetic North posted:

https://www.howtogeek.com/83487/will-installing-a-russian-keyboard-save-you-from-ransomware/

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks to everyone for the replies! I was planning on Ublock Origin, the reminder to always keep everything up to date is a good one. 2 factor forever on everything, that habit's already baked in. No sketchy downloads from strangers (or candy). Turn on device encryption, disable UPNP and remote access. Presumable Chrome is the browser I should be using?

I definitely hadn't thought of having the administrator be a separate account from my day-to-day one, but that makes a lot of sense.

Re-installing the operating system is something I've never thought to do on a brand new computer. Is this advisable just because big box store will put junk on them right off the bat before selling them? Best Buy certainly wants me to have a free copy of norton 360 and use it. I don't have the computer in hand yet, but I wasn't planning to take advantage of the offer.

Is there a recommendation regarding VPNs? Does the average idiot need one and if so are some services better than others?

Thanks again for all of the help!

MikusR posted:

Baldur's gate 3 has a mac version and is also on Geforce Now

My current laptop is 12 years old, I'm glad it manages to run baldur's gate 2.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

all a vpn is doing is changing where your requests for any resources online are coming from. so effectively you're paying for a company to see where all your packets go to by you giving it to them first and them pinky swearing they're not reselling data. this is marketed under the guise that you're only doing it with stuff you don't want other people to know about too soooo

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A VPN is useful if you're in a country that blocks/censors websites such as China, in which you can't access gmail.

In that case you can use it to reroute your traffic to a third country and China can't block it.

There's also the thing where tv streaming sites tend to have different libraries in different countries and by switching to another country through a VPN you might be able to access other content.

Other than that, there's no real benefit to a VPN.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you want a VPN, get Mullvad. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, unless you are pirating stuff and your ISP gets pissy about that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you want a VPN, get Mullvad. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, unless you are pirating stuff and your ISP gets pissy about that.
Lots of coutries have private orgs who "prosecute" that poo poo too, and they make the 5 bucks or whatever to keep your files container instance plugged into a VPN more than worth it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I was planning on Ublock Origin, the reminder to always keep everything up to date is a good one. 2 factor forever on everything, that habit's already baked in. No sketchy downloads from strangers (or candy). Turn on device encryption, disable UPNP and remote access. Presumable Chrome is the browser I should be using?

Most of the major browsers will be using the same rendering engine as Chrome so it comes mostly down to features and which company you want tracking your online activity. I use Firefox which is a good alternative.

quote:

Re-installing the operating system is something I've never thought to do on a brand new computer. Is this advisable just because big box store will put junk on them right off the bat before selling them? Best Buy certainly wants me to have a free copy of norton 360 and use it. I don't have the computer in hand yet, but I wasn't planning to take advantage of the offer.

To wildly varying extents, laptop manufacturers and resellers will have software installed that you don't want, need or use. A clean install takes maybe 20 minutes, Cumulative Updates are actually cumulative these days. Spending an entire day installing updates for updates is largely a thing of the past.

Oh yeah, don't use Norton anything. Windows Defender is decent. Go through additional security options and make sure they're all turned on.

Also, find out what SSD drive is in the machine and check for a firmware update.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 11, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh yeah, don't use Norton anything.

When I worked tech support for an ISP in the mid-2000s I used to say that Norton Internet Security was an excellent product, because it kept its users safe by preventing them getting online in the first place.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When I worked tech support for an ISP in the mid-2000s I used to say that Norton Internet Security was an excellent product, because it kept its users safe by preventing them getting online in the first place.

The Windows XP days really were rough. It seems to be when lots of normal people got desktop PCs with ADSL, making internet use more tolerable than dial-up. The downside being that the file sharing services were a virus fuckathon. I can't count how many times I spent 14 hours reformatting my mate's single core, HDD, 256MB RAM Windows XP machine because his Norton antivirus 2001 expired trial didn't detect that Spider-Man 2.exe was not a movie.

The only thing that eventually stopped that poo poo happening was NOD32, whatever dark magic they used on that. Oh, and the McAfee Site Advisor in Firefox.

Remember Active X? Shockwave? Flash? Needing Java installed? Dark times my friends.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Mullvad got rid of port forwarding so it's not very good for pirating stuff anymore

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dylan16807 posted:

Mullvad got rid of port forwarding so it's not very good for pirating stuff anymore

I still use it for that and haven't received any emails from my ISP about how I've been reported for :filez: crimes, so I'd have to disagree. I do have my client set up with the Mullvad proxy, though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Windows XP days really were rough. It seems to be when lots of normal people got desktop PCs with ADSL, making internet use more tolerable than dial-up. The downside being that the file sharing services were a virus fuckathon. I can't count how many times I spent 14 hours reformatting my mate's single core, HDD, 256MB RAM Windows XP machine because his Norton antivirus 2001 expired trial didn't detect that Spider-Man 2.exe was not a movie.

The only thing that eventually stopped that poo poo happening was NOD32, whatever dark magic they used on that. Oh, and the McAfee Site Advisor in Firefox.

Remember Active X? Shockwave? Flash? Needing Java installed? Dark times my friends.

Windows’ default of not showing file extensions is the single stupidest thing they have ever done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They did at least introduce that after the UAC prompt, right? It's been so long ago now I can't remember which came first.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the hide extensions by default thing was in XP, may have been in 98

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Tesseraction posted:

They did at least introduce that after the UAC prompt, right? It's been so long ago now I can't remember which came first.

iirc extensions were off by default in xp and uac was vista

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jesus, it was XP? Yeah was loving stupid. Glad that my first thing on opening explorer on Windows is turning on file extensions.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh god I think that was 95 that did that. But was it on by default?

Google seems to think it was hiding extensions by default, anyone got a VM?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

down1nit posted:

Oh god I think that was 95 that did that. But was it on by default?

Google seems to think it was hiding extensions by default, anyone got a VM?

I don't have W95 in a VM but I have a VGM, a very good memory. Our early 90s school PCs running Window 3.11 always had files showing as 8.3 character file names, the .3 being the file extension. Extensions were hidden by default in Windows 95 onwards, I remember from our first PC in October 1996.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hitchhikers page!

To add, I recently got my daughter a new laptop and it came with McAfee installed begging to buy a subscription. Groveling even.

In order to fully get rid of it, a McAfee technical support article(!) pointed to another piece of McAfee software you had to install in order to uninstall it since the uninstaller threw errors and didn’t work. On a brand new laptop…

So we said gently caress off and blew it all away, upgrading her to win11 pro at the same time.

If you work for McAfee you suck rear end. Sorry but I don’t make the rules
Lenovo should also be ashamed

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

namlosh posted:

Hitchhikers page!

To add, I recently got my daughter a new laptop and it came with McAfee installed begging to buy a subscription. Groveling even.

In order to fully get rid of it, a McAfee technical support article(!) pointed to another piece of McAfee software you had to install in order to uninstall it since the uninstaller threw errors and didn’t work. On a brand new laptop…

So we said gently caress off and blew it all away, upgrading her to win11 pro at the same time.

If you work for McAfee you suck rear end. Sorry but I don’t make the rules
Lenovo should also be ashamed

When you say you blew it all away, do you mean you formatted the drive and installed a bare Windows 11 install?

Also can you link the support article that advised an uninstaller because the regular uninstaller was hosed?

Any company that develops or deploys software like this should hang their heads in ropes.

F4rt5 posted:

Windows’ default of not showing file extensions is the single stupidest thing they have ever done.

I get why they did that though. Most people using computers these days don't know what a file extension is. The people that do know, know how to enable it in settings.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 14, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I get why they did that though. Most people using computers these days don't know what a file extension is. The people that do know, know how to enable it in settings.

I think you have cause and effect backwards here.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It got to the point where I had both the x64 and x86 versions of every AV removal tool. Mcafee's MCPR.exe is the worst of all the tools because it has dotNet prerequisites, does not support safe mode very well, and is actually genuinely intended for removing *only* the AV portion of whatever garbage product they sell. You're stuck with the toolbar and the cleaner, privacy blocker, vpn whatever else if the tool doesn't explicitly support your package name.

At least it does eventually remove Mcafee, 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Most of the major browsers will be using the same rendering engine as Chrome so it comes mostly down to features and which company you want tracking your online activity. I use Firefox which is a good alternative.

To wildly varying extents, laptop manufacturers and resellers will have software installed that you don't want, need or use. A clean install takes maybe 20 minutes, Cumulative Updates are actually cumulative these days. Spending an entire day installing updates for updates is largely a thing of the past.

Oh yeah, don't use Norton anything. Windows Defender is decent. Go through additional security options and make sure they're all turned on.

Also, find out what SSD drive is in the machine and check for a firmware update.

Thanks again for the advice. Still no computer in hand because the laptop that came in the box was the cheapest first gen G series asus instead of the new m16 I ordered (open box) and BestBuy wasn't about to exchange it for what I ordered despite missing it themselves, so I took the refund and then left on family vacation for a week.