Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

Subjunctive is a really good person to comment on JavaScript's past and present really.

I hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pretty high, it's just a chargeback.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's not actually totally secure from phishing.

It's not even a little bit secure from phishing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

stop making irrational decisions

Sort of a big ask.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

Stop using ask

Let's circle back on that later.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flosofl posted:

I guess I don't understand how any content blocker could work if it can't a) read the content and b) modify said content to remove certain elements for safari to present to you. So "read and modify" are expected behaviors for content blockers.

Content blockers can just be policy functions. They get called by Safari with the URL of the script/image/iframe and then Safari acts on the answer. The content blocker never gets a reference to the document itself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kassad posted:

That's just what the permission would let it do. It doesn't mean it's actually doing that. It'd be very obvious if it did since the source code is up on Github.

As long as the binary is compiled from unmodified code.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don't mention microphones, either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saukkis posted:

I've sometimes thought that the only solution to password reuse would be to use required patterns in the password. When you go to change the password the page would tell you that the characters 4-6 in your new password must be "hEo", choose whatever you want for the rest. But it would require large portion of sites to use random patterns to make reuse impractical.

Some sites do this. I proposed it at Facebook, but the other mitigations in place were deemed strong enough that the user friction wasn't worth it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would hope that it wipes all unallocated space.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

A rogue DNS is also possible

How would that affect https and http differently? Some SNI interaction I can't quite see?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oysters Autobio posted:

Are there any security concerns from Android Pay in terms of further personal information being stored on the smartphone? Talking about the usual malware, viruses etc. that may target Android Pay as an app itself. This is more of my concern here, though the whole liability shift is good to know regarding tap or no tap (can we confirm that liability shift is the same here in Canada?).

I don't mean tinfoil levels of paranoia here about government or something, I just mean what happens if your app gets compromised with your cards on it?

Card data is usually stored in a secured environment (or protected by a key stored there) such as Samsung's TrustZone.

apseudonym posted:

Your phone is far more secure than your desktop, its fine really.

Absolutely this, even given that you're more likely to have an attacker with physical access to your phone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could test that by tethering to a phone if you're using wifi. How often does it happen?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was just going by the description of Superfetch on Microsoft's website. That also contains instructions on disabling it if you want.

That page doesn't mention anything about it taking up untowards amount of memory, though?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

30% of your total memory is an "untowards amount"? Who knows how much of that was Chrome by itself.

The page linked in the post to which I replied was about CPU usage and not RAM usage, as far as I can tell. Did I miss something?

But using 30% of your physical memory could indeed be entirely reasonable, if it would otherwise be empty or occupied by less-important things.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Superfetch is one of those annoying RAM-hogging Windows 10 features.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was just going by the description of Superfetch on Microsoft's website. That also contains instructions on disabling it if you want.

Subjunctive posted:

That page doesn't mention anything about it taking up untowards amount of memory, though?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How would it decide where to look in RAM and when?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enjoy churning on the .NET and JS JITs! Would the call to mprotect block until the scan is done?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can also map memory w+x, so it wouldn’t really help anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve twice tried to start writing a patient, compassionate post explaining where Duck went wrong, but I can’t get my head all the way around it. It is a lot to unpack. Wheels within wheels.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

error events fire for images that fail to load, so you could probably detect that case with decent accuracy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

But what separates it from a partial server outage or a bad connection?

Partial server outage is something you attack statistically, by watching loads from different servers. Most pages will have many to choose from. Bad connection typically won’t just error your ad stuff, but rather different pieces each time — if it’s good enough to load the page. There are perf metrics you can use to see how different resources loaded.

But honestly whether you have a pihole or a bad connection, if you don’t see my ads, that’s what I care about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are definitely anti-adblocker systems that will pop alternate content for pihole/hosts-file style network-level blocking. Curse (owned by Twitch) was testing one for a while as long as 18 months ago.

I don’t know which part of “did too few of my ad scripts/images load? show alternate content” you are thinking is hard to do, though, so maybe there’s a particular component that’s non-trivial.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So... blackhole the alternate content too, then? What I'm saying is that you cannot create a website that doesn't work properly if its ads don't load and not adversely affect random users who have nothing to do with the demographic you're trying to target. You can absolutely do that with adblockers because you can positively identify them as having one. You can only negatively identify a user as having loaded your ads.

Identifying the alternate content...now that’s a challenging problem, since it can be just a big article-obscuring div and text, or served from the same server as the primary content (which is the usual case, because it’s just part of the site infrastructure). You might have noticed in your analysis that this is indeed how most of the adblocker interventions are structured already.

The point of detecting an ad blocker is that you don’t want people reading your content without seeing the ads. Whether that’s intentional or due to some very specific and weird network failure, the effect on the business is the same. If a very unusual network failure is keeping just ad content from loading, consistently across page loads, you can live without that one-in-a-million reader until they get to a better network. It’s fine to affect random users, as long it’s not many of them, and you are talking about a pretty bizarre case indeed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heners_UK posted:

I think physical security is as good as it's going to get short of an IronKey, at least as far as my knowledge goes. WRT paper, I'm avoiding due to needing to update or cycle these from time to time.

Is it hard to print new ones and replace the piece of paper in the safe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just set a password. It’s easy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There’s also Bitwarden, which does multi-device TOTP and client-side encryption.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

postfix had it out of the box first, IIRC, but there were a couple of m4 packages that made it work on sendmail too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

(If I were you, I'd look into running tools like git on WSL2 - I haven't used it personally but from what I've heard it probably works a lot better on average than cygwin.)

Yes, much better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gmail file preview is several layers of defense. burning a powerful exploit like that likely means a very targeted attack

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

2: BitWarden

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Duplicate passwords let the store compress better, so you’re really just being environmentally friendly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, we use 1Password at work so I could have a family license for free (or have the company pay for it, I forget) but I’m sticking with (paid!) Bitwarden. I don’t know if I’ll ever host my own storage, but the fact that it’s possible makes me feel better about the odds that someone could offer a compatible service if the wheels fell off. Wish it worked better offline, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ooooh, that’s interesting!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RFC2324 posted:

my home lab is hilariously overengineered

I love it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My daughter (high school) had an assignment this week to spec out a PC build for a fictional graphic designer, and two of the items the teacher expected to see on the list were antivirus software (he recommended ESET) and malware removal software (MalwareBytes). I explained to my daughter that we are a Windows Defender house and that I would come and talk to the teacher if he objected. Some things are worth fighting for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ynglaur posted:

Graphic design, you say? Isn't the answer "use a Macbook"?

We had that discussion and decided that it would probably not meet the requirements of the assignment. I think she mentioned it in her overview though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Definitely the system builder’s responsibility to calibrate things before delivery. I don’t think my old Spyder or whatever still works any more, so I just use rtings’ profiles and live with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saukkis posted:

Isn't the recommendation to regularly recheck the calibration because monitors wear out and age.

Yeah, that’s why I originally got the Spyder but the display I had at the time (some Dell thing) didn’t drift enough to be worth recalibrating before I forgot about doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Those are tools for use by parents to supervise children, but we want tools to supervise parents.